Scouts no longer wear the Scout Uniform!

Lighten up Brent. For review...

A scout is...

HELPFUL

A Scout is concerned about other people. He does things willingly for others without pay or reward.

FRIENDLY

A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He seeks to understand others. He respects those with ideas and customs other than his own.

COURTEOUS

A Scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position. He knows good manners make it easier for people to get along together.

KIND

A Scout understands there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. He does not hurt or kill harmless things without reason.

CHEERFUL

A Scout looks for the bright side of things. He cheerfully does tasks that come his way. He tries to make others happy.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gunny,

You, me, John-in-KC are retired veterans, so we know the importance of good uniforming. when was the last time you saw a Marine is a bad uniform? A quick comment to the First Sergeant and wham, no more problem.

It''s not so easy for scouts. Set a good example, lead from the front, and WORK THE OTHER 7 METHODS. When scouts see that Johnny got a coupon for the skating rink, pizza place, Chick-Fil-A, etc, the others will get onboard, for the free stuff if nothing else. But then, have a goody for some scout who STAYED in uniform for the duration of the event.

Taking into consideration that uniforms aren''t even mandatory (No BSA rule says uniforma are mandatory, but are desired), they help to instill pride and act as an great self-esteem builder for not only our children but for us as well.

I am extremely proud when my son is in his Bear uniform and so is he and I also in my Leaders Uniform. Nothing pleases me more when I tell folks my son is a Cub Scout and believe me, they (the public) KNOW HOW a Scout is supposed to look. Even my brand new Chevy truck is "grafitti''d to help promote Scouting. Of course the paint is temporary but it''s the spirit that counts. I''m a smoker and even when driving I am aware of how others "may react" because of their pre-concieved notion of how a "scouter" is supposed to ACT & APPEAR, so I limit my smoking when driving I feel like a kid sneaking a smoke and don''t want to get caught. So my truck is part of my uniform when in public.

Consider this..how are you allowed to dress on the job? Neat and sharp looking OR lookng like a "couch potato"? What would your Company say or your customers? How bout dressing up for Mom''s Day when you go out to eat? Then we got dressing for the holiday''s, what about we as parents telling our children who attend church "not to mess up their church clothes or school clothes, or weddings..... the list goes on & on.

Personal appearance & the public impressions of us means a lot in today''s society and if you want to see just how much.....then next time you get ready for work or whatever REALLY TAKE A LOOK IN YOUR MIRROR and ask yourself if you look "Good enough" to face the day or does it matter.

Do you "feel different" about yourself when dressed up for a friday night''s worth of partying?

It''s not the uniform that makes a person but it''s the person wearing it who makes the uniform by displaying THE FEELING OF PRIDE AND SELF WORTH we feel when sharply presented in uniform.

SO UNIFORM UP FOLKS! It don''t hurt a bit.

Larry B

Unit Commissioner

Texas Skies District

Sam Houston Area Council

Gunny,

You, me, John-in-KC are retired veterans, so we know the importance of good uniforming. when was the last time you saw a Marine is a bad uniform? A quick comment to the First Sergeant and wham, no more problem.

It''s not so easy for scouts. Set a good example, lead from the front, and WORK THE OTHER 7 METHODS. When scouts see that Johnny got a coupon for the skating rink, pizza place, Chick-Fil-A, etc, the others will get onboard, for the free stuff if nothing else. But then, have a goody for some scout who STAYED in uniform for the duration of the event.

Hey Gern, don''t get your non-uniform socks in a wad. B^)

The key to your last post was one sentence: "A scout is..."

"Dressed as a Scout, you will want to act as a Scout."

Boy Scout Handbook, pg. 12

For the record, we don''t go hiking, rock climbing or whitewater rafting in our official uniform. We wear our official uniform to Troop meetings, COH''s, and travelling to and from camping trips. This list isn''t exhaustive, but I think you get the point.

Brent I need a favor, please. I checked my Scoutmaster Handbook and I can''t find the Scout Law that says a scout is uniformed.

Its late and I''m not feeling very scout like.

You have been uncourteous, unkind, unhelpful, uncheerful and unfriendly in discussing this issue with me. I have described my perspective on the uniform method and how it fits in our program. You have indicated that we have a failed program and do BSA a disservice delivering it. In your mind, I am a bad leader and every adult in our unit is a bad leader. We should quit scouting. I disagree. We have good scouts. We have good leaders. We have Eagle scouts. You will eventually have Eagle scouts. Deliver your program as you see fit, I''ll help deliver ours as we see fit. Get it?

Gern,

Give me a break! Let''s review:

"your dorky socks"... "Uniforming is the easiest of the methods to accomplish (especially in an adult led unit)"... "Imagine joining a troop that didn''t do much more than uniform inspections. Not fun."... " It works well for parlor scouts at indoor meetings and those who want to look pretty for parades."... Courteous, Kind, Friendly?

Similary, I can''t find the Scout Law that says a Scout goes camping or hiking or anything outdoors.

For the record, I never said any of those things about you and your leaders.

I wanted to thank those of you who replied to my request for suggestions, I needed the encouragement and AM trying to work on several areas at once.

I was just a little taken aback by the vehemence of the response to a carefully phrased and delivered request/inquiry at the Parent meeting /Committee meeting.

Again thank you all.:)

(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)