Pinewood Derby Awards

Last year we only had six cars at the pinewood derby. We gave out awards for first place, second place and third place. My son received an award for best design. I don't recall if there were any other awards, but every boy received a "drivers lincense." This year we may very well have 30 cars. I don't imagine that anyone is going to try to give everyone an award. It might be nice to do 1st, 2nd & 3rd for each den (except one den only has 2 scouts). Aside from best design, what other awards do you present at the pinewood derby?

We always gave everyone a "I Did My Best" award. It was a Hot Wheels car hot glued onto a piece of wood with a paper label glued to the front. The kids loved them, though often they would twist the car off the piece of wood and play with the cars. We still have two or three of them from my son's years in the Pack.

we typically do

medals for den 1st, 2nd, and 3rd

trophies for pack final races 1st, 2nd, and 3rd

and a few other various token awards for best use of accessories, most creative, and maybe one other category taht is slipping my mind......

We go overboard.

Sixty-ish cars last few years. Medals for 1st, 2nd and 3rd for each level (Tiger/Wolf/Bear/Web1/Web2)

Trophies for top 3 overall and best design.

Also we give each scout a blue "participant" ribbon available from Scout store. Those are a pain, but it gives us a chance to say something nice about everyone's car at teh end of the derby.

We've considered a "safe driver" award for slowest car, but haven't done it yet.

If I recall our (very large pack) had 1st, 2nd and 3rd for (Tiger, Wolf-Bear, Webelos) and 6 design categories. Everyone got a ribbon and every car got raced in at least 2 heats. (which took a loooong time) Last award was a big trophy (and small gift) for Best Sportsmanship for the boy the CM spotted cheering on the other's cars.

(When we got a nice track we retired the old one and set it up as an area for tag-alongs to roll old cars down too. That was popular.)

The last few years I was at the pack we started photographing the cars as they got checked in and immediately putting them in a slide show so everyboy's car got splashed on the screen. Occasionally some shots of the deseperate pre-race tinkering (and hand injuries) to bring them under 5oz.

A highlight was a Scouter who was the MC and managed to come up with a racing nickname for every car that raced. Pretty hard when there is 80+

We occasionally had a most spectaular crash award which was a necklace of old toy car tires and parts.

We have 20 Cubs. Trophies when to first, second, and third place. Everyone else was judged and recieved some sort of "Best of" certificate. I was not thrilled with the everyone is a winner approach, but I wasn't consulted either.

We generally have 30-40 boys at PWD.

We give out 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place medals. These are overall, not by den.

We also do a few design award certificates.

Everyone gets a participation certificate, participation ribbon, and driver's liscense. The 5th grade Webelos create car stands for everyone as part of their Craftsman badge.

I am working to resurrect a Pack that was close to failing.. We may have 6 to 12 boys for the PWD... The Pack has no money, in fact come to find out last year boys earned awards and with no money were given "IOU"'s... So I did some home made awards made out of felt and lots of odds and ends of crafty stuff I had around the house, fabric markers etc... Each boy will get a different award.. If you surf there are lists of different awards.. Don't remember all that I choose, but beside "fastest car", there was "best paint job", "most distinguished car", "mean Machine", "Judges choice", "Most Resourceful car" (It was to be held this month where the theme of the month is Resourcefulness, so the boys were challenged to use what they have around the house to build their cars before going out to buy materials..

Pack I was with Last Year

Trophy for Each Rank 1st 2nd 3rd,,Tiger, Bear, Wolf, Webelos 1, Webelos 2...Each Scout ran multple times.I think 3 times..Best Compiled finishes advanced

1st Place each rank competed for Overall 1st 2nd 3rd place trophies

plus we had Open Class ( Adults and Youth outside the Pack and Nonconforming cars) 1st 2nd 3rd

Certificates for several other Categories

Best Design

Best scouting inspired

Best boy Completed...You could tell which a scout had done by themselves

Pack has 32 very active Cubs, all ranks, and families involved to, and a CM that is willing and eager to "get dirty".

Everyone gets a PWD patch at the next usual Pack Meeting.

1st, 2nd, 3rd fastest for each Den.

1st, 2nd, 3rd overall fastest for the Pack.

An ad hoc award committee peruses the entries in the "Race Impondment Lot" and makes up awards on the spot , this years included:: Most Patriotic, Best Use of Money(!Coins for weight), Most CARtoonish, Mythical Relations, Best Black, Best Red, Most Realistic, Best use of Legos,..

In our "Unlimited" class (adults, older brothers, ex-CubScouts, etc. ) one dad had molded a block of lead and sheathed it in wood. Looked like his son's car, weighed 7 lbs. We ruled it too dangerous to run on the Cub track.