Scout Sign-- & Silence

Does anyone know the true origin of the displaying of the Scout Sign to require Silence from all? Can it be referenced to any Scouting documenation (such as an old SM or Youth handbook)?

Is this practice unique to America, or is this practice used Worldwide?

Interesting question. I had remembered a story about Baden-Powell in front of a large gathering, and how the crowd became silent when he held up the sign. I did a quick search on the Internet and this is what I found on Macscouter (from the 1st International Scout Jamboree that took place at Olympia, London in 1920):

Mounting the highest tier of the dais, he turned and faced the great gathering. The moment had come for him to close the Jamboree, to bid the Scouts good-bye. But before he knew what was happening, he heard a clear boyish voice proclaim aloud, "We, the Scouts of the World, salute you, Sir Robert Baden-Powell -- Chief Scout of the World!"

Chief Scout of the World! B-P hesitated, taken completely aback. As he slowly raised his hand in the Scout sign, the cheering abruptly ceased. There were a few seconds of impressive silence before his voice rang out with its accustomed force to the farthest corners of the building:

This has nothing to do with the history,but I think it's worth sharing.

My oldest staffs at a WEBELOS resident camp on the oregon coast. After the Cubs leave on Friday night the Staff invades a pizza place in the nearest town.This is a group of about 20

very enthusiastic pumped up teenagers. I think someone tipped off the waitress.She puts up the scout sign when she wants their attention and instantly about 20 signs go up and there is absolute silence.

If you look in the early handbooks, even in Baden Powell's Scouting for Boys (I believe this is in there), they teach silent signals for stalking. The arm held up at a right angle, palm open and fingers poiting up was the signal to STOP and be quiet. Powell added to that the three fingers of the scout sign that reprsent the three parts of the Scout Law, as a silent symbol for the scouts to stop what they were doing and listen.

Notice this is a silent signal and should not be acompanied by a "shssh" or a battle cry of "Sign's Up" :)

In the 1940's a series of 14 Boy Scout Field Signals was published. They were silent signals used to get into various formations, and used when a troop or patrol formed for assembles, games or parades. A 2nd Class req was added that you had to demonstrate at least 6 of them. Some of them were open column, closed column, parallel file, troop circle, etc.

The signal for 'attention' was the scout sign with the right arm completely raised. Many of the signals were made over the head, so all could see. This requirement was dropped, but some of the signals continued to be used.

As to your question about the true origin, I don't know if this is it or not. I just figured scouts gradually dropped their arms from the complete extension to the right angle to match the scout sign.

You might want to check this book out,costs 4.95

"Indian Sign Language by William Tomkins"

This book has a forward by Baden-Powell.He spoke of sign lanquage being a way towards world peace.It's a great little book has a translation of the scout oath into terms that translate into corresponding indian signs.It also has a good dictionary.Note this still doesn't answer the question of origin,sorry couldn't find anything.

SR540Beaver,I'm sorry to hear that you don't have the benefit

of this tool.I'm blessed to be working with older very dedicated scouts who are deeply ingrained with the proper use of the sign.

(This message has been edited by wojauwe)

When I was an SPL as a kid, I used the silent signals as printed in the Scout Handbook. I found them far more effective than shouting commands. It only took one or two Scouts to catch on to make the entire 40+ troop fall into order.

As a Scoutmaster, I taught my SPL to use the signals. Amazingly enough, it worked for him, too.

Peer pressure is a wonderful thing.

Unc.

wojauwe,

I was mostly joking when I made my comment, but not completely. We are a brand spanking new troop with ten 11 and 12 year old boys. At least four of them were not Cubs. We're working on many many things. We'll get there.

Beaver, it might take awhile...

I was at a PLC meeting, just watching as is my wont. The topic was (are you ready?) How to keep order at the meetings. Well, the SPL would start talking, as would a few others and before you knew it, it was chaos. I put up the scout sign, all quieted down and they looked at me as if I had something to say. I just said, continue and they went on, in their own little perpetuating circle. Chaos, my sign, order resumption of meeting, Chaos, etc. After about the 8th time, the SPL finally asked me why I kept putting up the sign, and I asked what are you discussing and does it fit. Finally a few bulbs went off.

This boy lead thing is a real challenge...

beaver,I was just gloating about my current luck.I've experianced the chaos.I was the WEBELOS leader for a den that had 6 of 9 boys who were ADD.Learned quick that down time was my worst enemy. Found the training tapes pretty humorous when

they showed a group of WEBELOS doing some low key chatting ,which the tape reffered to as rowdiness.The leader put up the sign and the magic occured.Got a good laugh out of it at the time.As OGE said though it can be a challenge, but there's a good chance they will learn.

When I was an SPL as a kid, I used the silent signals as printed in the Scout Handbook. I found them far more effective than shouting commands. It only took one or two Scouts to catch on to make the entire 40+ troop fall into order.Unc.

Where can I find a copy of the siginals?

Eric

woj,

I hear you brother. We have a number of ADD kids in the troop. We went on a campout this past weekend and many of the boys were....well, let's say less than scout like in their behavior. We had a clam heart to heart with them at the troop meeting Tuesday night. We explained how the oath and law are not mere words to recite, but are a promise you make to live your life by a certain code. We also explained that lack of showing scout spirit would slow up any advancement. Ten minutes later, I catch one of the boys clutching a metal beam in both hands and his feet braced against the wall in an attempt to climb it to the roof. This is in the sanctuary of the church by the way. Part of the talk was how firtunate we were to find this charter and how we must treat the building with respect. I had promised the boys that I would do my best not to raise my voice if they would do their best to act like scouts. I'm afraid my voice got loud when I saw his feet on the wall of the church. It'll get better. It'll get better. It'll get better....... ;)

I found a site with information on scout hand signals.didn't look too deeply into it but it looked like a promising jump off

for a fruitfull search. http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/skills/drill.htm

The page is about formation drills with hand signals.It looked like it had some links to find similar stuff.

Beaver,

hang in there.the only thing that I've found that works with ADD is to have a very busy program.If you have an hour meeting

plan for 3hrs. in case something doesn't work.

It's easier with Cubs where the adult leaders control the program.

Lectures rarely work.Their wireing doesn't always give them a grasp of social consequences.