I'm the Advisor of a new crew that just started in June. We have been on two activities and meet every third Thursday due to my schedule. Suddenly the Charter Org. Rep. has told the Comm. Chair that we are meeting too often and doing too many activities. He stated that a Venture crew is supposed to meet once a month and only do one activity per quarter, because that's he way a crew is supposed to be run. He has also stated that he is "going to straighten us out" about what we are doing. Here's the kicker.... he is the Scoutmaser of the troop we spun off from, and I'm the Committee Chair for. There are several members of the troop that are members of the crew. He has questioned why the boys seemed like they were all about doing fund raisers for the Crew and not enthused about doing fund raisers for the troop. He has also stated that when ever we do an activity there should be no mingling of male / female of the crew members. The females should have thier own camp site and the males in another. Seperating then in one camp site isn't good enough. He hasn't approached me about any of this at all.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the COR, he can set whatever guidelines that he wants for your unit and can only be overridden by the IH. If he shows up and says that your units uniform is now hawaiian shirts and plaid shorts, that's what you gotta wear.

Sounds like he's a bit perturbed by his Scouts becomming more involved in Venturing than they are in Scouting which he sees as weakening the troop.

Try the old, "sit down over a cup of coffee" and have a chat. Ask him where he came up with the idea that Crews only meet once a month. You guys are swimming in the same cesspool and he has the bigger stick so you need to find a way to get along.

If that doesn't work, talk to your unit commissioner and IH.

If that doesn't help, find a new CO.

Hi clc5105.

Let me ask a question, eh?

Is this person a real COR, or was he a warm body that yeh put on the roster to fill a position? In other words, is he a member of the CO with a good relationship with da IH and organization, so he really is representin' their interest?

If not, then I think you and the CC go sit with da IH and explain the relationship, and work with him to appoint a real COR. Move da old one to a regular MC.

Beavah

No, he is the real COR. However, I no sooner submitted the original post when he called and asked if we could talk. He came over and we had a cordial conversation about the crew and it's future. I don't know where the CC came up with the stuff about meetings and activity as the COR never brought it up. The COR's main concern was the training of the officers, making sure that the by-laws were to be followed as written and voted on, and making sure it was a youth run organization. Now I need to have a chat with my CC.(This message has been edited by clc5105)

Sorry GW but.....

He is not CR for one unit. He is CR for the Chartering Organization. Each CO has one, and only one CR. Regardless of how many Scouting uits the CO has the same person is the CR.

You can find this in a number of BSA resources including the Troop Committee Guide , The Cou Scout Leader book and the Charter organization Representative brochure just to name a few. Not to mention the raining courses that cover it.

According to the BSA unit application form the only position that it says a CR can duplicate as is the Committee Chair. I believe if you check with your council registrar you will find that if the troop is a unit in the same CO where the individual is the CR he cannot also be the Scoutmaster.

"He is not CR for one unit. He is CR for the Chartering Organization. Each CO has one, and only one CR. Regardless of how many Scouting uits the CO has the same person is the CR."

I bow to your greater wisdom. However, unless they are just faux CORs, my son's CO has one each for Venturing, Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts.

"CR can duplicate as is the Committee Chair."

That makes sense. How could he work for someone when he had appointed that person and could fire him.

Sounds like a registration problem and heads should roll/

Not really my wisdom, in case you did not notice I gave you the BSA resources that explain it. All I did that was different from you is read.

Each CO has one CR because each CR has a vote in the District and Council. One vote for each CO, not one vote for each unit.

No need for "heads to roll" (I really don't get the melodrama) just some paperwork that needs correcting.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

How could he work for someone when he had appointed that person and could fire him.

I've seen that happen, but in a different way. The IH is not barred from holding any other position. I have seen IH's (specifically PTO presidents) whose sons joined the Cub pack and the IH became a Den Leader. This could conceivably create a problem as the IH appoints the CR who appoints the CC, who together with the CR approves all leaders, including in this case, the IH as DL. (I love acronyms.) I never saw it become a problem though.

Weeeelll BeeDubya, you referenced the adult application. I don't have one of those to hand. I'd have to drive a few miles an break into an office to get on, that's not worth it.

As for not understanding melodrama, you also don't understand much that is fun. Makes me wonder what you think about when you're out on the bounding main, fighting off boarders with your cutlass. Do you think "This is a violation of G2SS" or do you think, "Gosh darn it, I this is fun, I wouldn't be doing anything else!"

Getting back to the topic.... This is the kind of group dynamics that occur when a troop and crew try to co-exist under the same adult leadership. I'm sure the crew was created to keep the older boy's interest and when it did, it began to threaten the leadership of the troop.

#1 rule, never use the same CO for a troop and a crew unless one is looking for a headache. The two units will either 1) compete with each other or 2) one will dissolve. From the tone of the original post, it would sound like the SM/CR has pronounced the death-knell for the crew. The SM/CR is going to sabotage the crew out of existance with all the special rules he's making up. One cannot hold loyalty in two different directions. My crew meets at least monthly if not more and has a large amount of activity opportunities that are far more than once a quarter. Unless the crew can have a vision of its own, apart from differing units and their goals, they will either struggle or die or both. It basically sounds as if this crew was initially set up to fail with the structure designed by the organizers.

Stosh