"Official" Venture Uniforms

I am fairly new to Venturing and could use some advice.

In everything I have read and reasearched it says that it is up to the crew to decide on a uniform, if any. There is no "offical" uniform required, only recommended.

Our crew adopted the green shirt (for official use) and a sweatshirt with the logo. They have only worn the shirt once, but love the sweatshirt and wear it constantly. Since we are in Germany and meetings are in their school (German/American) they never wear their uniforms to meetings (unlike others in Germany who are located on bases). However, they love their sweatshirt and wear it often and proudly.

It is now being "suggested" to me that to attend certain functions they should be in "official" uniform (venture shirt, trousers and belt)- the shirt alone is not good enough. Can they dictate the uniform the crew must wear? Isn't it up to them? This is a big expense for the kids, especially since many of them will move in the next year or so. I can understand asking them to wear grey trousers, if they want to, to go with the uniform shirt, but to go out and buy something they will rarely wear I do not understand. I would rather see them use this money to enjoy more activities, attend more district events, community service, etc.

Is there an official line about the venture uniform? Can the council or others dictate what the crew must wear? I know it looks nice when they are all "spiffed up" in the official uniform, but isn't it supposed to be about the kids and their choices as a crew for their own identity? I would hate to see our kids miss out on anything just because their choice of uniform is not considered appropriate. I wonder what they would have thought if the kids went with their first choice - hawaiian shirts?

I could really use some help in this area....thanks.

Mr or Ms Berlin,

Welcome to the Campfire. Pull up a log. Set a spell.

First and foremost: UNIFORM IS NOT a method of the Venturing program.

In fact, here are the Methods of the Venturing Program which in turn reinforce the Aims of the Boy Scouting Movement (Character Development, Citizenship Training, and Personal Fitness):

- Recognition

- Group Activities

- Leadership

- High Adventure

- Ideals

- Teaching Others

- Adult Association

The uniform is SOLELY the choice of the Crew. Eamonn's crew is finding Naval uniforms for his Sea Scout ship. I know another crew that uses non-BSA sprice green shirts. My Crew uses either blue jeans or Cabela's grey cargo pants/shorts (lots cheaper than Supply Corporation).

There are times the Crew may want to be dressy. What's wrong with blazers and a dress shirt? NOTHING.

Let the youth members make a choice. Ask anyone who advocates otherwise to show their card as a member of the Uniform Police. Then send them to New Leader Essentials Venturing Specific Training!!!

Berlin, just so you have the official text, verse and reference, here's the URL to Venture Fast Start where it addresses uniforming

http://www.scouting.org/venturing/faststart/uniform1.html

Here's the actual text. This should, hopefully, silence your uniform police.

Venturing Uniform

The uniform, if any, is the choice of the crew.

The recommended uniform is the spruce green Venturing shirt with green epaulette tabs and gray backpacking-style shorts or gray casual pants. However, the uniform is the choice of the crew. Sea Scouts may wear the Sea Scout uniform. For those crews that choose to have the Venturing uniform, it is recommended to wear it when traveling, at crew meetings, at other Scout meetings, when serving the public, and at other appropriate times. When doing field activities such as sports, water activities, mountaineering, etc., your crew might want to wear something more appropriate to the activity.

Vicki

First off, please stop confusing "venture" and "venturing". They are are 2 separate programs. Venture is a program for older boy scouts. It has nothing to do with Venturing.

Vicky has given you the official line on Venturing uniforms. It can be found in the Reference section (a kind of dictionary of Venturing) in the Venturer Handbook and the Venturing Leader Manual.

Who is saying that they should be in uniform? Some district/council people? Point out to them the policy.

That said, I personally recommend that Venturers and Venturing adult wear the green & gray at events in which BSA Uniforms are expected, such as district and council scouting events (Scout Shows, Training events, OA events, etc). Since your crew already has the green shirts, whats the big problem with wearing them? (please understand that you do NOT have to get the BSA's gray pants/shorts. ANY source is fine!)

Note, I said 'recommend'. If a crew shows up in their crew uniforms, I am not going to focus them to get the green/gray. I have found that many Venturers who are involved with other scouting programs usually get the green/gray to better fit in.

"But I do wish, as I have in the past, that the BSA could have been just a little more original when they picked the name... "

Uh, I've been saying that from day one.

Actually, before day one when I learned about the coming program and what they were going to call it and the units. Since I had worked with a Venture Crew in my old troop before I moved on to Exploring, I knew the potential name confusion.

Berlin: The choice of uniform or not is the choice of the crew. If your crew chooses the BSA recommended Spruce Green Venturing Shirt and Gray shorts or trousers then that is their uniform. If the crew chooses the sweatshirt then that is part of their uniform for more casual wear. In reality there is no official Venturing uniform and as everything in Venturing is it is the youth's choice. Because Venturing Crews are youth led.

Berlin: The choice of uniform or not is the choice of the crew. If your crew chooses the BSA recommended Spruce Green Venturing Shirt and Gray shorts or trousers then that is their uniform. If the crew chooses the sweatshirt then that is part of their uniform for more casual wear. In reality there is no official Venturing uniform and as everything in Venturing is it is the youth's choice. Because Venturing Crews are youth led.

Thank you everyone for your replies, they have been most helpful. I am very happy to have a place to go to get advice from experienced Advisors.

Like I said, working with a Venture crew is new to all of us here and unfortunately some people forget that we are no longer working with scouts, this is not a troop and it is youth-led. I get the odd person here telling me it is youth-led, but not youth-managed. I think these people just do not like handing over control and/or decisions to the crew. They are so used to making all the decisions for the kids that it is a hard concept for them to embrace. I, however, embrace it fully. Yes there are times we need to step in to keep them on track, but for the whole they are bright, creative young adults and I want to let them find their way.

Again, thank you for your assistance, it has made my job a lot easier knowing that I am doing the right thing.

Regards,

Berlin

As usual KC is right on target.

emb, please lighten up on the venture/venturing thing. I know they are different programs, but Venture Crew tends to flow better off the tounge then Venturing Crew. Around my neck of the woods Venture tends to mean Venturing, as we have very few Troop Venture patrols around here. I feel it's just a lost cause as the Class A/Field uniform debate. (In any official capasity I usally use Venturing instead of Venture)

Yours in Venturing

Cary P

Crew 805 Advisor

purcelce-

Incorrect terms are incorrect terms. You know the correct terms, so use them. Just because its easier to say doesn't make it right.

It's one thing to slip up verbally, we all do that. It's another when its on an written forum that others will read and think that's ok.

Cory...

Venture, Venturer, Venturing, Adventure...

As long as we are all on the common grid of 14-21 coed program of BSA... At the same time, when reading a new visitor to the campfire, I want to be sure he is discussing Venturing, the program, and not a Venture patrol in a Troop.

To me, the fundamental difference between boy-led in the Boy Scout program and youth-led in Venturing is the level of management and accountability. We can entrust the youth to drive themselves to activities. We can entrust them with the Treasury ... depending on State law ... we can even entrust them with the records management.

It does depend on them and their willingness to accpet maturity and responsibility, but I get to watch the youth in my Crew plan an Eagle Court for 6 of themselves, who got it done at 16-17.