While hunting for information on something else I came across a Council Web site, that was stressing the "Ideal Year Of Scouting" As I read further it said that Trails End has given a grant to pay for a Quality Unit District Executive. I have never heard of such a position.Is it new? What do they do that is different from a plain DE?

At present the relationship between the BSA and Trails End is good. I'm not sure if maybe it's becoming to good?

Eamonn.

I know that this is becoming controversial and may be cause to close the thread but it may mean that Trail's End has some money that they have made available to give to a D.E. to establish a Quality District.

This answer comes only from a deep personal belief in knowing about the English language.

As always, I stand to be easily corrected,

FB

I heard about that as well. As far as we can determine it is going to be a grant given to a DE whose district has the largest volume of popcorn sales, so much for the smaller districts. Someone sarcastically suggested it is for a spokesman for Trails End who will promote popcorn to other councils for a year, giving them a break from their regular duties.

All I know is that our council is switching companies to another popcorn vendor this fall, go figure.

PS - Welcome back Eamonn

Our Council had such an employee a few years back. His salary was underwritten by Trail's End and his job was to convince packs they could get a whole year of scouting out of Popcorn sales. He helped the packs lay out a budget and assess how the pack would come up with the required money, ok, sell more popcorn was first on his list, but the whole budget process startled a few people, as in they never heard of it before. I know he got popcorn sales moving, he has since moved on to be a real DE and I dont know what happened to his popcorn posiiton.

(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Out of ignorance, what is the relationship between BSA and Trail's End? Is it part of BSA? Does it sell it's popcorn thru other organizations besides BSA? Can a council actually switch popcorn vendors as BadenP suggests?

Fundraising can be a mess in any organization, regardless of whether it is a church youth group, scouts, sports, school band, etc. There are always those parents who would rather write a check than participate. There are always those parents who don't want to write a check or participate. Then there are those who go all out and end up paying the way for half the group thru their lone efforts. Aside from door to door sales and show and sell this year, we are going to attempt to contact businesses and businessmen that might want to give popcorn to employees, vendors, customers, etc. as Christmas gifts. Where there is a will, there is a way. You just have to be innovative and put forth the effort.

I am all for supporting the Council and I'm aware that Popcorn and the popcorn sale is in some and the council that has me vital to make ends meet.

My point has more to do with having all the eggs in one basket then anything else. What would happen if the BSA had a falling out with the popcorn people.

I met with some of the people from Trails End a few years ago when the Ideal Year of Scouting first came along. As a District Commish at the time my thinking was anything that made the units look at making a budget has to be a good thing.

Having said that I wasn't over the moon when I heard that all of our DE's had to drive to a nearby Council to get trained in popcorn sales.

They came back saying it was a waste of time and astonished that there is a can of popcorn that sells for $50.00.

I am a cookie man myself and rarely if ever eat the popcorn.

Eamonn.

It has always been my feeling that there are more desirable and more profitable items out there that BSA could use for fundraisers other than popcorn. I think each council could come up with an item that would be more readily identifiable with the BSA, after all the people who buy want to support scouting not collect popcorn tins.

The new company my council is going to use only produces microwave packages, which are dirt cheap in the stores already, so I don't think this will be any better than Trails End. At another council one year they sold auto first aid kits with the council CSP printed on, it was the highest net profit fund raiser ever. Then we got a new SE and we went back to popcorn.So I guess originality is not a quality on most SE resumes, lol.

I was astonished that a can of popcorn costs $10.00 and it took about 2 minutes to eat. It certainly was tasty but I wish there had been enough for somebody else. I think the rest of the family was also astonished.

Didn't BW say something about the fairness of the cost-product relationship being a guiding principle for Scouts selling items? It is possible that the price of popcorn has increased over the years and that I missed it when it soared to new all-time astronomical heights.

I would rather give a check for double that amount directly to a unit and tell them I am giving a Campership for any Scout that needs it. I know; I know it would not be tax deductible but that would be ten times better than being ripped for an overpriced can of corn.

Just my personal opinion that is always subject to all kinds of sCorn,

FB

Fuzzy Bear, I don't recall who said what, but it sure is policy for fundraising that something of appropriate value is provided for the cost charged. We as a unit keep that in mind when planning, and the one thing none of us understands is how this popcorn can be priced so high. When we sold it last year, many people asked why the price was so high. I don't have an answer other than this is what fundraising is: selling a product to make a profit. I do it because it benefits Scouts locally; that seems to be why most do. As for popcorn DE's, I don't know that we have them, but we do have two full-time finance people on staff that work--to my knowledge--just with popcorn. With such a large council I can understand that, but my vote is for another registrar too :) The one we have is too overworked IMO.

I believe the high cost of the popcorn is because of all the different levels it has to support. In addition to what the boy gets for his account, council, national and Trail's End get their cuts too. If you sold it at half the price, no one would make enough to make it worth going thru the effort.

There are obviously better fundraisers where you can make 50% profit on reasonably priced products. However, it bypasses the council and national. They have to have cash to operate too.

I once heard that Trails End was a wholly owned subsidiary of the BSA, but I can't substantiate that rumor. On the TE web site, click on "history"...it appears that an enterprising marketing guy found a popcorn vendor to provide product for a council...it grew to several councils and became a corporation unto itself and the rest is history. It also appears that BSA is TE's only customer. Now, I freely admit I'm a govt bureaucrat, but seems to me that such a large contract should be at least reviewed and put up for re-bid every five years or so. Competition - good. Monopoly - bad.

I don't take popcorn orders at work any more. Got tired of hearing, "what a rip-off." BSA fundraising policies merely state that you have to provide something of value in exchange for their money...it doesn't say it has to be a fair price.

Yes, the cost of the popcorn is high, but so is the cost of a box of GS cookies.

What people can't seem to understand is that for these council sponsored fundraisers you are not really selling the product, you are selling Scouting.

These are more than just fundraisers for the unit, although they do that also. People look for these products each year because they know that when they purchase even the cheapest item they are supporting the entire Scouting program in their area. Sure, units could sell whatever and make their profit, but by council selling the same products each year, which have BSA's (or GSUSA's) name attached to it, you get name recognition among consumers and they will look for these products. When the scouts sell these products, they never say thanks for supporting my Pack/Troop/GS Troop/etc. We always have them say - "Thank you for supporting Scouting in your community".

Some people WILL spend $50 for a tin of gourmet variety popcorn. We sell around the holidays and people will often buy a tin as a gift. They don't buy it because they are getting a great deal at a cheap price. They buy it because it kills 2 birds with one stone so to speak. It gives them a holiday gift and supports Scouting at the same time.

Ive not heard anything about a paid person, but I have heard a lot about The Ideal Year of Scouting. I like the idea! If will force people to do their planning early, and then it will fund your program if you give it half a chance. The only problem I see is that I live in an area where people would rather write checks than participate in a fundraiser.

As for Council sponsored fundraiser and the popcorn thing. I support it, wholeheartedly. Our Council office may not be the model of administrative efficiency, but we do garner many valuable services from these hardworking people, we also benefit from the council funds that go into many of our other programs like camp and training, camperships and outreach for special needs kids all benifit from Council funds. Like I said, we may not be the model of efficiency, but we are a whole lot better because of the Council sponsored fundraiser, and without it we would be a whole lot worse off.