The National web site has a link to some helpful commissioner service information. In there is something that might be of interest for many commissioners and many members of this discussion board. As you know a Cub Scout Leader can only be reigistered in one position in the pack. But were you aware that a commissioner is not to hold any other unit leadership position, or other commissioner positions?

Here is what the BSA says. (and remember don't slay the messenger if you don't like the message).

"Commissioners must not be registered simultaneously as unit leaders. Some commissioners may be registered on a unit committee because they have a son in the unit or because of previous personal history in the unit, but their principle Scouting obligation should be with commissioner responsibilities. Commissioners may be currently registered in only one commissioner position."

I know this affects commissioners in our local District and according to the biographies on this board it affects many here as well.

Just thought I share.

Bob White

It's about dang time they said it. Notice that I didn't say I agree with it or not. Actually, I do. We need commissioners and we need them to be as impartial as possible.

I'll probably see that one in quotes somewhere.

Before anyone jumps on me, let me just say that the reason I am glad is systematic. I want commissioners to receive every mailing that goes out to unit leadership. How else can we expect them to be good spokesmen and knolwedgeable?

However, in the case of the unit commissioner who's old unit pays his/her registration fees as a committee member, they aren't receiving the mailing. Why? Because commissioner is their multiple registration, not their primary. Scoutnet eliminates their mailing label.

It's about that simple.

DS

Bob,while I agree with the entire idea that a commissioner, unlike most "active" leaders,is a person who holds a commission from the Council. By the fact that all Commissioners are "Selected" by the Council Executive Board, and are not selected by a chartered organization.

I'm not clear of the meaning of :

" Commissioners may be currently registered in only one commissioner position."

In my district we have 42 units and a commissioner staff of 26. All of our Assistant District Commissioners, also act as unit commissioners.

Are we out of line ?

Eamonn --

Technically, yes, your district is out of line. However, I've never been "in line" in the districts or councils I've served over the years. Just as a Field Director isn't supposed to have his/her own district (that's what a district director is,) an Assistant Districtt Commissioner isn't supposed to have his/her own units. They're both supervisory positions. An assistant district commissioner is supposed to advise about 5 unit commissioners or serve some other administrative funtion as decreed by the district commissioner.

Reality differs. I've most often seen ADC's used as super commissioners or people we wanted to keep around and gave them the title. It's not the textbook answer, but I'm a believer in doing what works to deliver a good program. Hang me if you will.

This brings me to an interesting bit of trivia -- Let's talk for a second about the position patch . . .

The only ones with the wreath of service (the Laurel leaves) are professional and commissioner patches. If you think about it, you'll notice that in some the thread is silver and in others the thread is gold.

For a unit commissioner and district executive, the threat is silver.

For an assistant district commssioner and Senior district executive, the thread is gold.

The thread doesn't turn silver until you get to council commissioner and/scout executive.

The difference is that silver means line service (direct service to units) and the gold means support service.

I realize that scout executives and council commissioners supervise other people, but if you've ever walked around with one at a council event you'll see that they get pasted enough to merit the silver . . .

Have a nice evening.

DS

I serve as ADC and ASM. The unit I'm a ASM with has a UC. None of the units that I'm ADC for has UC that is a leader (ASM, Committee position) in the unit they serve.

Would this be still be considered "legal"? We have serveral commisioners that are "dual registered" in our district. Our DC and DE has has no problems with it. If it wasn't for the dual registered folks, several units would not have a UC.

If we are doing it "wrong", how would we go about fixing it?

I serve as an ADC for 3 communities, COR for my local troop and pack. I do not UC these units!

Also, the district uses me to troubleshoot units in crisis, as well as training. My council is farily small and rural, requiring those serving at the district level to take several roles to get the job done.

I'm a big believer in the spirit of the law -- when it's one that isn't a safety issue or an important policy.

You guys are playing a crucial role in Scouting and should follow your district leadership. If they have no problem with your registrations, I certainly don't. As I said, I've never been in a district or council where all commissioners were only commmissioners and had no role in units.

My point was simply that, to help commissioners do their jobs by providing all information to them, commissioners need to have their primary registration be as a commissioner.

If you're unsure of your primary registration (note that Bob White's quoted material does not prohibit multiple registrations,) call your registrar at the council office and have them check. Switching your registration to primary as your commissioner role is a simple procedure for them. There's no additional appllication needed and no further fee.

Then maybe you'll get all the flyers and program helps in your Scouting magazine.

DS

I agree with the principle of the description, but in reality if there are a 1,000 volunteer jobs, there is normally 333 people wearing three hats.

Which brings up another thought, which I would think every district will find beneficial...where to locate volunteers for the commissioner jobs.

We go over the "Eagle" list, try to get "outside" help, especially with the district fundraising, but commissioners can be hard to come by.

Also dsteele, never thought about getting the mailings and "special" stuff in scouting... a great point and added benefit.

JB brings up an excellent point as well. It happens to be one I've been either making or trying to make for years (with varying degrees of success.)

A unit commissioner does not have to have any Scouting experience. Granted, it's probably best if he/she does, but nowhere is it written as a requirement. I happen to think that lists of Eagle Scouts from the past is an excellent source.

Let me quickly point out, however, that "inexperienced" unit commissioners will need immediate training and training that is beyond commissioner basic. They'll need New Leader Essentials and any of the program specific training you can get them to take. They'll need the latest copies of all the resources available to commissioners and no small degree of passion for the job.

Start them out by having them work with your strongest units. They can be excellent at providing the unit with information on current activities, etc. and the strong unit can go a long way toward teaching them the program.

I once suggested to a district commissioner (I was the Field Director at the time) that he recruit young Eagle Socuts who had just graduated from college to help him fill his commissioner staff. He snarled, "How is any 22 year old with no leader experience as a Scouter supposed to help a unit?"

I said, "If he's interested, I'll hire him tomorrow to be a District Executive. If I can teach him to work with all of your units, why can't you teach him to work with three?"

I never did manage to change his mind on that one. Of course, he didn't change mine, either, so I guess we're stil square.

DS

That's very interesting dsteele... I'm 21 and I'm an ADC. I was a UC for almost a year, but 2 weeks ago was asked to be the Venturing ADC so I can recruit and train Venturing UC's. Currently, my district has 16 known Crews (Crews seem to be popping in and out of district with no one knowing about them and it drives me crazy because I'm one of the few who are trained in Venturing and knows the program) and so far, I have recruited 2 UC's who have Scouting experience and very limited Venturing experience. My biggist concern is that, with Venturing, many people get confused between a Venturing Crew and Venture Patrol, and begin to start Crews and become disappointed in the end because it was not what they were expecting. Venturing is 98% youth lead, and if the youth do not have the passion nor the desire to be in the crew (whatever the reasons for it may be) units seem to fail in about 2 years. It has gotten to a point where it has become extremely difficult to help maintain crews and I lose crews before before they even get visited. What's even worse is, my DC & DE have no experience nor the desire for the Venturing program. It's too bad the DC you talked to didn't want 21 year old commissioners... we may be young, but we do have a lot of passion for the program and what better way to show our leadership potential.

Dale

dsteele,

You said in your last post, "A unit commissioner does not have to have any Scouting experience. Granted, it's probably best if he/she does, but nowhere is it written as a requirement. I happen to think that lists of Eagle Scouts from the past is an excellent source.

Let me quickly point out, however, that "inexperienced" unit commissioners will need immediate training and training that is beyond commissioner basic. They'll need New Leader Essentials and any of the program specific training you can get them to take. They'll need the latest copies of all the resources available to commissioners and no small degree of passion for the job."

Very well said. That is where I find myself. The knowledge I have of Scouting is from my youth experience about 10 years ago and what limited stuff I get through COPE.

As I said earlier, I regret leaving scouting as a youth, but am trying to get back into things now. (Better late than never?) I am trying to get my hands on all the printed material I can find dealing with Commissioners. I recently got copies of the Scout Handbook, Cubmaster leader handbook and Scoutmaster Handbook. I have enjoyed thumbing through them. It is interesting to see what has changed and what has not. I have also been reading the back issues of the Commissioner newsletter from the BSA website. I am finding lots of good stuff to help me fill in the gaps.

I quickly learned that I have a long road ahead of me when it comes to learning the job. It is going to be more of a challenge than I expected. However, i believe that if I am going to do a job, I an going to do it to the best of my abilities. (Hence all the reading on my part.)

Dale,

I think youth can be a very important factor in a UC. I am 26. THere is a Venture Crew in my council that works closely with COPE. While I am not their UC (different district), these kids tend to want to talk with me about their problems rather than their regular UC (who is in his 40's I believe). When I asked tham why they prefer to talk to me instead of their UC, they say that they feel more comfortable talking to me because I am closer to their age and can relate to them better.

Ability to do the job is not in the physical age level. It is in the mental maturity level. If someone has the smarts for the job, sign him up!

OX

Ox and Dale --

Again, welcome! Pardon me if I'm a bit distracted. I'm watching Katie Curic doing the Tonight Show while I'm writing this. Contrary to the opinion of those who sited me for writing while on vacation, I do have a life.

I'm glad to see (God it pains me to call you this) young people getting involved in commissioner roles. The resources need to be read and you've both agreed to that. My point is (and I think you'll agree) that Scouting can be learned, but passion must be self-driven. You've both demonstrated your passion in a single post. Good job guys!

I share the frustration over Venturing. The crews are starting and fading equally quickly in some cases. Remember, this is a program that's only five years old. We're all learning our way around it -- from the newest crew leader or member to the top levels. Compared to Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, Exploring, and even Learning for Life, the current (I say that because there are people who were involved 50 years ago who were Venturers who will rise up and smack me around. Isn't annoying when I interrupt myself?) Venturing program is new. It's still in development.

Hang in there and keep commissionering. Don't be afraid to use your youth to try new things . . . and let your council commissioner (who is also probably a representative of your council to national) know what works and what doesn't. The council commissioner can report those things to the national meeting and they might lead to important changes in the program. Sometimes, it's good to be new!

I will point out, although I probably don't need to, to both Dale and OX that age should not be written off. There's lots of experience out there. Not all of it is correct, but not all of it is wrong, either.

Whether you're young or old, there is a place for people of good moral character in the Boy Scouts of America. I think the BSA set the age requirements for each position for good reason and will enforce those rules.

The minimum age requirement for Commissioners is 21. As I said before, there is no Scouting background requirement. Give the young a chance to serve, but don't let them fail through lack of resources or lack of training.

OX and Dale, in addition to the printed resources you've mentioned, get a copy of the commissioner guidebook (I'm not sure of the correct title, but that's close enough.) It will help. Attend your district commissioners meetings as well as the training. Don't be afraid to talk about your concerns and happinesses with your units. There will be years of scouting experience in the room and you'll find yourself one of the "grey beards" at a young age.

FYI -- I'm 37, but was a DE at 22.

DS