Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

11 Good


  • Rank
    Junior Member

Profile Information

  • Location
    Riverside, CA
  1. This issue has been brought up to the National Venturing Committee. Regionally, there are Jamboree-like events that are either Region sponsored or multi-council sponsored. Western Region will be having Venturing Viewpoint http://venturing.bsa-la.com/VenturingViewpoint/ in June 2006. Similarly, North East Region will be having Venturing Vortex, http://www.venturingvortex.org/, a Ranger based program this June. Likewise, Southern and Central Region have been doing similar activities. Dale Venturing Viewpoint Committee
  2. Well, I never earned the Quest because I aged out a year before it was released, I earned the outdoor bronze in 8 months, and finished the Silver, Ranger, and Silver Hornaday within three years. On average, for each bronze 6 months - 1 year. Quest & Ranger at least 2 years. Yes, you can wear the rank patches (First Class to Eagle) on your Kelly Green Venturing Uniform.
  3. 1. Yes 2. Yes, only at OA events 3. NO. We shouldn't mix & match Scouting and Venturing uniforms. The recommended uniform pants are gray Venturing pants (or other gray pants, such as Dickies). Dale
  4. Good to see some Cahuilla... go Snakepower! You're not alone in Western Region... West is Best, Dale Wanakik Chapter
  5. Welcome to the forums mhutch353. The answer to your question is: No. I understand your frustration with the A&H requirements. And the National Committee does too. Currently at this time, A&H is under review to change the requirements so it can better meet the various A&H crews out there. Eventually, there will be a medal available to earn for A&H. YiV, Dale
  6. Welcome to the forums mhutch353. The answer to your question is: No. I understand your frustration with the A&H requirements. And the National Committee does too. Currently at this time, A&H is under review to change the requirements so it can better meet the various A&H crews out there. Eventually, there will be a medal available to earn for A&H. YiV, Dale
  7. I don't see why "Advisors" wouldn't work for committee. The same would be for Scouters who are committee members. Wouldn't the committee treasurer advise the crew treasurer? Wouldn't the committee secretary advise the crew secretary? Wouldn't the activities charperson advise the VP-program? Wouldn't the committee chairperson advise the VP-administration? There are several committee positions that advise crew officer positions, very much as troop committee members advise Scouts. The positions are very much the same, however now you're using different terminology. You can still say "Hello Venturers and Advisors." YiV & SS, Dale PS. Just another point, in Sea Scouts, it's "Scouts and Scouters."
  8. To answer your original question: Adult - Advisor, Associate Advisor, etc. Plural: "Advisors" Don't forget Sea Scouting (a division of Venturing) Adult - Skipper, Mate, etc. Plural: "Advisors and/or Skippers & Mates" YiV & SS, Dale
  9. Hey there Craig! It's great seeing you on this forum. By the way... do you have any more green Venturing knots or Sea Scouting knots? Thanks... Dale CIEC PS. Email me some time... I think you have my email...
  10. Yes and No Male Venturers can receive multiple credit for requirements, such as using American Red Cross First Aid. The only time a Venturer cannot receive multiple credit is when they are required to do a tabletop display or presentation. Requirements must be exact equals. For instance, the backpacking merit badge does not equal the backpacking elective for the Ranger Award. Some of the requirements may count, but not all. They must be working on the requirements as a Venturer. The only exception is Open Water Diver, BSA Lifeguard, First Aid/CPR, etc where current certification is required, regardless of when it was completed. YiV, Dale
  11. If its a Crew What is their specialty? Outdoors? Religious Life? Arts & Hobbies? Sports? I would contact religious institutions, corporations, schools, YMCA to find interest. Do an open house and recruit Venturers and do a Crew interest survey. Contact your local DE and fill out the applications. For a more detailed, step-by-step instruction, please visit http://seascout.org/about/getting_started/how_to_organize_a_ship.html. This will also work for starting a Crew.
  12. Dana, It depends on what you are starting a Crew or a Ship? If its a Ship I recommend you contact your local US Power Squadrons chapter near you. You can find them online www.usps.org. They have a new program with Sea Scouting and will provide free training. For more info, visit www.seascout.org. If its a Crew What is their specialty? Outdoors? Religious Life?
  13. OGE, You're right... Venturing Commissioners are a rare breed. As an Assistant District Commissioner for Venturing as well, I have also noticed the same dilemma: The lack of experienced Venturing leaders wanting to become Commissioners. However, I remembered one thing my DC asked me to become a Commissioner when I turned 21. I hadnt been a Venturing Advisor yet (which is not a requirement), but had been an ASM for 3 years already. I had experience as a youth and earned Silver and Ranger. The one thing I have learned as a Commissioner, is the new respect Ive earned from the Venturers parents. Do you realize how hard it is to earn respect from parents who feel youre just barely older than their kids (which I am, being 23)? The youth relate to us and are willing to talk to us. Most of these parents now treat me as their son, which is an honor. Being a college student, with hectic schedules from both work and homework, being a Commissioner is the best way to go. I dont have time for most outings or to be committed to one crew every week. But, I do have time for Roundtables, Commissioner meetings, the occasional monthly Crew visits (or phone calls), and the monthly VOA. Since Im an ADC now, Ive recruited two other UCs who have been Venturers before. Since they are also my college buddies, its great to see them and ask them about their Crews while were at a campus party. Its not easy being a young Commissioner, but the respect Ive earned and the leadership experiences Ive learned has actually helped me out in college term papers. Its a win-win situation. As Mastercard says: priceless. Dale
  14. The main problem with associated with electrolyte imbalance is that its difficult to recognize in the field. The most common sign with hypoelectrolytemia is muscle cramps. This is easily confused for heat stroke, dehydration, and heat cramps. In order for physicians to diagnose electrolyte imbalances, a bicarbonate test is performed. The bicarbonate level is an indirect measure of the acidity of the blood that is determined when electrolytes are tested. The normal serum range for bicarbonate is 22-30 mmol/L. Remember, higher blood CO2 levels increase blood acidity, causing acidosis. The chemical notation for bicarbonate on most lab reports is HCO3- or represented as the concentration of CO2. Voyageur is right on track with prevention. As my old Scoutmaster would say, its easier to protect yourself than to fix the problem once it has already started. However, I would like to add some caution to adding sodium to the diet. Most processed food already contains high levels of sodium. It may not be necessary to add any more. Increased levels of potassium in the diet can also help prevent this imbalance. Also, thats a good recommendation with the Gatorade tasting weaker than one owns tears. .9% NaCl (normal saline, same as tears) is all thats needed for electrolytes. The purpose is to help encourage isotonic blood levels during physical activity. For first aid, treat the patient the same for heat stroke, heat exhaustion, and heat cramps. Give them a sports drink (e.g. Gatorade). Note: Sports drinks are not energy drinks. Energy drinks contain high levels of caffeine, taurine, and other stimulants that are diuretics which promote dehydration. Dale
  15. Good Job Voyageur and you make an excellent point. However, the signs and symptoms of hypokalemia (low potassium) and hypochloremia (low chloride) can also be potentially fatal. Water intoxication can decrease electrolytes (K+, Na+, Cl-) and increase the amount of CO2 in the bloodstream. This wreaks havoc on kidneys the most, adding to acute renal failure. Decreased levels of electrolytes also increase BUN (blood urea nitrogen) levels which also exacerbate renal failure. Good kidney function can help balance this problem, however, doing so adds strain on other vital organs by drawing nutrients away from them. This requires more energy (nutrients, including glucose) and more oxygen (adding to higher levels of blood CO2), thus causing fatigue, retroperitoneal pain (near the kidneys), and sub-gastric pain. Extreme cases, primarily with diabetic patients, can cause ketoacidosis. Source: Language of Medicine, 6th Edition Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured, 8th Edition YiV, Dale
  • Create New...