• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Returning to GaHillBilly's initial point, NPR is clearly biased to the left. I listen to NPR every morning and most evenings. I receive much information than with most other sources. It is nice to have less shrill discussions. However, the reporting is quite biased to the left. Usually, the stories are accurate and factual. The issue is on any given day what stories are run. On any given day, there are a variety of stories that are legitimate to cover. If you pay close attention, the story about Obama will be positive (fund raising is up, the latest promised program painted positively, etc.) while the report on McCain and now Palin (Biden is largely ignored) talks about a problem. The unstated message is that Obama is doing well and McCain/Palin are not.

Today, NPR discussed Obama making the comment about lipstick on a pig which at least seemed to be taken by the crowd as a slap to Governor Palin. NPR pointed out correctly that McCain and many other politicians have used the same phrase (both Republicans and Democrats). That was a good story. Then NPR talks to a farmer with pigs who says that he put lipstick on a pig. Thus, making fun of the criticism of Obama by making it seem trivial. On other occasions, NPR tells us how Obama is intelligent, eloquent, and a skilled politician. If he is so good then the accusation of a slam on Palin is accurate. After listening to NPR, you feel that it is silly but, if intentional, the slam is significant for a candidate who promised to change the way that campaigns are conducted (that would be a first in the history of the country).

NPR is far to the left in the stories that it carries like most of the media. For example, when Senator McCain went to the middle east, he had little coverage. The week that Senator Obama spent on vacation in Hawaii, he got more press than McCain who was actively campaigning.

It must be frustrating to the left that even with overwhelming biased reporting, their presidential candidates do only so-so.

All I want to hear is candidates outlining their plans. Get over the attack ads/swiftboating...that's so Rove.

I await the debates in hopes that I'll hear something, anything from a candidate talking about their ideas or plans, rather than how utterly inept their opponent appears.

As for the lipstick comment, I couldn't count how many times I've used the same comment about politics, Scouting, ad naseum. Politicians are all pigs feeding at the lobbyists' trough.

The problem I have with all the extreme partisan fighting that goes on is how quickly real issue that face all of us are dropped in favor of seemingly arbitrary and capricious mud slinging. The recent lipstick on a pig shenanigans are a perfect example. The fact of the matter is that both democrats and republicans have worked together to make America the great country it is. Each side brings important points of view to the table, and we would be less without the constructive disagreements that come with such dialog. Most know and understand this, and yet the extremists on both sides become so vehement that it almost seems they are calling for the total elimination of the other. Would we be better off in a one party dictatorship? I dont think so. The fact that all republicans are corrupt liars and all democrats are spineless wimps just adds to the richness that makes America the most incredible country in the world. And anyone that disagrees with me on these matters of undisputable and undeniable truths is just a backwards izan. So there!

Oh come on guys, both McCain and Obama made similar comments referring to lipstick and pigs when discussing Hillary Clinton during the primaries. I don't recall either one of them taking up the cause for women at that time. McCain (and probably Obama too) has also uttered and/or not contradicted plenty of other one-liners that portray women (or a woman in particular) in a sexist manner. For example, do you recall the kerfluffle last spring when, at a fundraiser, someone asked him how to stop the "*itch?" Referring to Hillary at the time. He laughed and said it was a "very good question." So much for McCain as crusader against sexism, hmm.

And any woman in a position of power had better both become accustomed to this sort of nonsense and also develop a thick skin because politics is a rough game. The candidates' reactions, particularly McCain's, suggest that somehow women can't "take it." Well I have news for you guys...anybody who is playing at this level and who dishes it out, had better be able to take it, regardless of their gender or party identity.

Last night I heard about 40 minutes of spewing forth about this topic on Hardball (I was at someone else's house - I would just have turned the TV off). Who cares? This is not worth more than 2 minutes of commentary, if that.