THE SCOUTS' SIDE

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/news/opinion/15177671.htm

Posted on Wed, Aug. 02, 2006

By MARK CHILUTTI

I READ the Daily News' July 26 editorial about the Boy Scouts' building and felt sick.

As an Eagle Scout who gained so much life experience by working as a volunteer in that office, it was sad to read your one-sided piece. I'd like to recap some of the circumstances that led up to the current situation.

In January 2004, the Cradle of Liberty Council held a meeting with the city solicitor and mayor's office. An agreement was made, and Boy Scout council adopted a non-discrimination policy, with language suggested by the city, which was accepted by the city and the national Boy Scouts organization. (It can be read at www.colbsa.org.)

Since the 2004 meeting, no official negotiations have occurred between the council and the city solicitor's office. The council has offered to meet with the solicitor. That is why the city's eviction notice completely bewildered the Boy Scouts.

In 1928, City Council adopted a resolution allowing the Boy Scouts to use the property at 22nd and Winter in perpetuity as long as what was built there housed scout-related programs.

The Scouts built the Bruce S. Marks Scouting Resource Center there, the first scout headquarters constructed in the nation.

The Cradle of Liberty Council pays $60,000 a year for maintenance and upkeep of the property. In 1994, the council made $2.6 million in renovations.

So how could you say "the Council has been working with the city to try to find a way to stay in its building under the current lease and stay within the Boy Scouts organization? That hasn't happened."

The facts above show not only that the council worked with the city, but believed, based on the written understanding with the solicitor, that the issue had been put to rest in January 2004. Why wouldn't we?

The truth is that our city needs scouting more than ever, and losing this building would be an unfair blow to the more than 40,000 youths that the Cradle of Liberty Council serves.

The kids involved can't do anything to change a policy that some don't like. Why should we punish them? If you've never been a scout, you can't imagine how much better it is to fall asleep at night hearing birds instead of bullets.

The bottom line is that the directives of the 1928 City Council resolution are being followed by the Boy Scouts.

Why shouldn't the city hold to its end of the deal?

---

Mark Chilutti of Northeast Philadelphia is an Eagle Scout, Class of 1982.

In January 2004, the Cradle of Liberty Council held a meeting with the city solicitor and mayor's office. An agreement was made, and Boy Scout council adopted a non-discrimination policy, with language suggested by the city, which was accepted by the city and the national Boy Scouts organization. (It can be read at www.colbsa.org.)

Since the 2004 meeting, no official negotiations have occurred between the council and the city solicitor's office. The council has offered to meet with the solicitor. That is why the city's eviction notice completely bewildered the Boy Scouts.

The above doesn't agree with this July 7, 2004 story from the News Gleaner:

http://www.newsgleaner.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=12250679&BRD=2340&PAG=461&dept_id=488595&rfi=6

or

http://tinyurl.com/n27dw

Coviello [executive vice president of the Cradle of Liberty Council] also said that the Cradle of Liberty Council and the city still have not reached agreement concerning the use of its Center City office building, located at 22nd and Winter Streets.

Merlyn, I read the article you refer to. And the comments that followed it, regarding the accurracy. Since when can't a woman be a Scoutmaster or leader? According to your article, women are not permitted to hold leadership roles. I wonder what else is not correct in it. I worked with Mark a number of years ago, and I'm familiar with the work he's done in scouting. I would thinks his is more accurate.

Hmm, the article (that Merlyn references) says "only heterosexual males and non-atheists". The way I read it, I took that exclusionary "only" to refer to heterosexual, not to male. As in only heterosexual, but not homosexual, males.

Of course, there ARE units that do not allow women to hold leadership positions, but that is not national policy.

"But Mary Strasser, vice president for community impact with the United Way, said the decision was made because the current Boy Scout policy of appointing only heterosexual males to leadership positions conflicts with the United Way's longstanding policy concerning discrimination. She said that any organization that seeks funding from the United Way must not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, and sexual orientation."

Well, two out of four aint bad.

I have a dog that we rescued from the shelter several years ago. She is a mutt by any standard. She barks when anyone and I mean anyone comes around the house, including skunks (You know what that means.). She even barks at me if I have been away for a day or two. She is frisky and will play until everyone is worn out and then she will make great circles in the yard at a dead run. When the summer rolls around she loses hair in great gobs. Wherever she has been for a while there will be hair balls ready to stick to anyone passing by. I have always been a little unsure about her sanity, if dogs can be sane. She is probably just hyperactive. If something were to happen to her, I would be greatly saddened. FB