New Topic - Now What?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is off topic, but I wasn't the one who brought it up. Guess what the very first requirement of the Computers Merit Badge is?

1. Discuss with your counselor the tips for online safety.

I wonder why that is?

Ed, No. It just didn't need to happen this way.

Brent, wonder all you want to, but if you know my "type" you obviously need to know little else.;)

If the opposition colluded with the administration, I agree...Good question. Do you really think this is a conspiracy?

As for stunning military victories, I think what we did to Mexico, taking California and much of the West, far surpasses what we did in Iraq. We not only rolled over a vastly inferior force, we permanently grabbed huge territories from Mexico and then discovered gold on it days after. Hard to top that, and very few of our countrymen died in the process. Hard to top it but we've tried...let's see:

1898 we took Cuba, the Phillipines, and Puerto Rico and we also annexed Hawaii by force. We occupied Cuba and the Phillipines for years, 70,000 troops in the Phillipines until independence in 1946 - reoccupied Cuba several more times until 1922.

1909-1933 occupied Nicaragua.

Lost count of the number of times we occupied the Dominican Republic.

Oh yeah, Haiti.

And there was that thing in Morocco...and oh yeah, Guatemala in 1954.

And Grenada, and Panama, and China, and Russia. So many enemies out there, all out to get us because of our freedom?

Let's see, we practically wiped out Saddam's military in the Gulf War I and then crippled him economically for years, controlling the skies and (evidently) successfully elminating his ability to build WMD. Then in Gulf War II, the greatest superpower on earth landed and rolled over a vastly inferior military with 'mission accomplished' in mere hours. Except that since that time thousands of our people have continued to die. And many more civilians. And if the mission WAS accomplished....huh?

I would note, also, that we fought terrorists inside this country for many decades. They often wore sheets. I knew some of them personally. If it makes you feel better they walked the walk too.

No it didn't have to happen that way. But the world is better off without Saddam in power. If you don't think so I'd like to know why. And if we get bin Laden, that would be feather in our cap! And if we never find any WMD's oh well! That doesn't mean they didn't exist & were destroyed before we got there!.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Pack

Despite all your efforts to illuminate Brent I am afraid it is falling on deaf ears, he can only see one point of view and he is extremely guillable to the misinformation put out their by the Bush administration. He seems to forget that Powell resigned as Sec. of State because of the WMD fiasco, embarrased that he was used as a Bush tool at the UN, and now his political career is pretty much over. Well now the American people are letting their feelings be known and are pressuring W to start withdrawal from Iraq. He has the lowest popularity rating of any president since Andrew Johnson. The American people and military,Republican or Democrat, will only put up with his continual lies for so long before they demand accountability.

Brent

Since you like to label other people I have one for you

"Misinformed, Unenlightened Person who lives in the south

Try reading more than just the local paper, if you do read, before you form your opinions. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

backpacker,

Welcome back - how was your search of the USDA website? Any luck? I didn't think so. I'm still curious - where did to get your information to come up with that ridiculous claim?

Yes, Bush's numbers are pretty low. With the press out to get him, even Dan Rather publishing forged documents, it's no wonder. Luckily, he doesn't worry about the numbers, like his poll-watching, following-the-wind counterparts on the left. He knows what he has to do, and he sticks with it. He isn't perfect, but he is a man of faith and determination.

ps, like most lefties I correspond with, can't answer simple questions. Maybe you can help him and Beaver with this one. Who do you think we are fighting in Iraq? Simple question - can you handle it?

BrentAllen,

As I have said before if you were an Iraqi we would be fighting you. We are fighting Iraqis with your mind set. They are fighting against an invader. They are fighting against an oppressor. To many people just can't accept that and prefer to see conspiracy and aggressor in every people America makes into a foe. We are fighting people who believe their leaders just like you believe yours BrentAllen.

I'm of the Viet Nam era and still have to ask "If what we wanted to provide was SO darn great why did we have to kill a million people before we accepted that 'they' didn't want it?" They were all brain washed but none of us could possibly have been wrong.

Who are we fighting in Iraq? People we have alienated. People we have angered with our arrogance and self righteousness. People defending their way of life. America always points to the aid and improvements we have provided. Tearing down your house and building you a duplex is only a good thing if you wanted to live in a duplex. If you liked your house and wanted to keep it then you should have a right to be angry.

"Wars never end because when we are finished here they will take it on the road" Hawkeye Pierce Mash 4077

As long as America refuses to accept that not everyone wants to be us, America will have enemies. Technology has merely allowed them to fight back.

LongHaul

It's been awhile since we've heard from the "I hate the USA" crowd, so thanks for the update, Longhaul. Saddam's trial is still going on, so maybe you can submit a letter on his behalf, explaining how wrong the US was to invade. Maybe you can get him reinstated as President of Iraq. I'm sure the Iraqis would love to see that.

How come the Japanese and the Germans didn't feel that way in 1945? How come they weren't attacking us after their military surrendered? Is it just a cultural thing? Or maybe it isn't the Iraqis who we are fighting, but maybe members of Al Qaida? Could it be we are actually fighting terrorists??

Brent

You are without a doubt the biggest (geographical slur) I have ever have come across. Who are we fighting in Iraq? ourselves to start with as this war continues to tear this country apart, secondly a group of people who feel that the USA had no right to invade their country based on false evidence, and lastly a group of radical hate mongers who will use any opportunity to strike back at the US for all the injustices they claim we have committed against them. In any case there will be no winners in this war which will continue to go on longer than Vietnam did. Finally when we realize that there is no way to win this war we will pull out in disgrace and Iraq will be worse off than it originally was.

Iraq will be the final downfall of W and will be the legacy of his presidency. WE are not the police of the world, the sooner we realize that the better off we will be as a country. You can be a standard for the truth or buy into the lie the choice is yours.

For the last time Brent the USDA site has all the information I quoted, learn how to research even though I believe you don't actually know how to read. With this entry I am finished with answering your pathetic and unintelligent questions. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Backpacker,

I thought you would at least come up with a different answer about the farms, after I pointed out how wrong you were. No matter - everyone else can see for themselves. I just put another notch in my keyboard - one more liberal, down in flames.

My kids just bought that movie Chicken Little - great flick! Now I can't help but think "the farms are selling! the farms are selling!" when I see the name Backpacker. Is it true, or is it just another nut?

If you are trying to hurt my feelings, you will have to come up with some different name-calling. Red Neck doesn't bother me at all.

I know you have trouble with logic, but if I couldn't read, I couldn't be typing this, right? Sometimes this is just too easy...

BrentAllen,

You should rent or better yet buy a copy of "Goodnight and Good luck". You brand of patriotism is so like McCarthys it's laughable. Anti BrentAllen is Anti American, Anti George Bush is Anti American. Just because I seek to try and understand WHY my enemy fights me does not mean I become my enemy. Understanding why Hitler hated Jews does not make me anti-Semitic. I'm sorry to cloud your bubble but this is not a monarchy and GWB is not America. GWB does not represent American values he represents GWB's values which many Americans agree with. Those who do not agree are not anti American. How could you still consider yourself a loyal American under Clinton? How will you reconcile your patriotism under the next president who will probably not share your views?

LongHaul

(This message has been edited by LongHaul)

Brent's form of patriotism might be a little McCarthyesque but maybe, just maybe it's time for that! I'm sorta getting the same way! This is by far the best country in the world! And if you don't like it, see ya! Move to Canada or France or Qatar or South Africa or Brazil! And when ya come back, the USA will welcome you with open arms!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I'm proud to be an American

Where at least I know I'm free.

If vehemently disagreeing with those who call our President a liar and call the insurgents/terrorists "freedom fighters" makes me McCarthyesque, then so be it.

It is pretty simple to me. We were attacked, without provocation, by Al Qaida. Bush and the elected officials acted upon the best intelligence we had, as well as the Brits and others had. We took out an evil dictator and are trying to let the Iraqis form their own government. We are now fighting Al Qaida in Iraq. If we weren't fighting Al Qaida in Iraq, where would we be fighting them?

If we are just fighting Iraqis who are angry at the US, then why are so many Iraqi police and soldiers getting killed in suicide bombings and attacks? Who is targeting them??