Boys' Life Bible Stories?

I enjoyed the issue a few weeks back where "Bible Heroes" shared a page with a panel explaining black holes.

"Bible Heroes" should be axed because it's boring. It's written and drawn in a very dated style.

And I'd love to see some Book of Mormon cartoons in BL. At my Roundtables, held in an LDS building, I get to see paintings of the Jews crossing the Atlantic to come to America and of Jesus appearing in front of Chichen Itza or some similar building before a crowd of Indians. Put some of that in BL and watch the fireworks.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Religious stories or Bible stories are taught to children as fact. If a boy asks his dad about King Arthur, dad will say it's myth or legend. Bible stories come from a book with "Holy" on the cover.

Maybe because the bible stories are fact & King Arthur is not?

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed, Bible stories are not fact, they are faith.

If they were fact, they could be corroborated by other period sources.

I've studied a little bit of ancient history, and I've never come across any source that corroborates the stories in the Bible, nor any actual, verified evidence to support any of the events listed in the Bible.

If you have any sources or evidence, I will be happy to look at any references you would like to list here.

Wow! The Bible is totally fiction - now that is an eye-opener!

So you are telling me our entire system of counting time in years is all just a house of cards. That Jesus was just a fictional character, and the BC and AD time notations are based on a fictional character. That is some pretty powerful fiction!

I always enjoy the unexpected twists and turns these threads can take. Sort of like a real conversation.

Greg, I think that would get all the Archeology merit badge counselors up in protest, including me! ;)

Brent, yes - our entire calendric system is in fact entirely arbitrary. It's quite an interesting subject if you care to look into it. The Hebrew calendar says this is year 5766. This is also year 2758 according to the Romans and year 1426 according to the Islamic calendar. There are lots of others.

M-L,

I'll check with my father-in-law - Thor. To be honest, I've never heard anyone claim they thought Thor was anything other than a mythical figure. Have you? If so, what exactly did he do on the 5th day that caused his followers to name that day after him?

How is life in the blue states? Hitting 70 this afternoon in this red state.

I think the reason that "religious stuff" is in BL is because a Scout is Reverent and he does his Duty to God.

I would not be offended by stories from other faiths, but the fact is, the vast majority (85-90-95%? pick a number) of Scouts are Judeo-Christian-Muslim.(This message has been edited by fgoodwin)

"Mythology" is a word applied by outsiders to the religious beliefs and heritage stories of others. Christians refer to "Norse mythology" while pagans refer to "Christian mythology". The fact that you believe in a particular story about times long past does not make it true.

Historians, archeologists, and folklorists generally agree that most myths and legends have nuggets of fact. Like pearls, they grow in the telling so that after centuries of story-telling, heroes are larger than life, and events are Olympian. The story of Paris, Achilles, and Odysseus is a perfect example. Long thought to be mere fable, the siege of Troy was demonstrated by Schliemann to be historical fact, albeit considerably enhanced in the centuries before Homer recorded it.

There was probably a real man Herakles whose feats of strength grew into legend, then became religious faith, and are now "mere" mythology. There may have been a real man Arthnou whose political acumen grew into the legend of King Arthur. There was certainly a real man Yshua, whose teachings grew larger than life and are now religious faith for millions. There was a real man Siddartha Gautama whose teachings grew larger than life and are now religiuous faith for millions. Whether or not these figures will also fade into mythology, as did Mithras, Zeus, Horus, is known only to the future.

Ed, Bible stories are not fact, they are faith.

If they were fact, they could be corroborated by other period sources.

So there wasn't a great flood? The walls of Jericho never fell? The Jews never spent 40 years wandering around in the wilderness after Pharaoh set them free from Egypt? Joseph wasn't sold into slavery by his brothers?

Thor was a mythical being.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

Well, Ed, it should be easy to find out, shouldn't it?

Please provide a corroborating source or evidence that is not derived from the Bible for any of those events.

And as always, your respect and sensitivity for the beliefs of others continues to underwhelm me.

Dan,

Tell you what. I'll post proof of one of my statements. You come up with proof to refute it.

Jericho

In the 1930's, British archaeologist John Garstang discovered a collapsed double wall and dated it to about 1400 BC. Since this collapse was was followed by the city's destruction and abandonment, he inferred that it was the work of Joshua and the Hebrews. Many were pleased that the new science of archeology had validated the biblical story.

But, in the 1950's, a series of excavations by British archaeologist Kathleen Kenyon led he to conclude that a mistake had been made. She contended that the city had been destroyed about 1550 BC and subsequently abandoned, and therefore there was no fortress city for Joshua to conquer. However, American biblical scholar Dr. Bryant T. Wood re-evaluated both her findings and those of Gerstang. In a Biblical Archaeological Review article entitled, "Did the Israelites Conquer Jericho?--A New Look at the Archaeological Evidence," Wood contends: "When we compare the archaeological evidence at Jericho with the biblical narrative describing the Israelite destruction of Jericho, we find a quite remarkable agreement." Thus, the walls that protected Jericho against attack were not only intact up to the time of its fall, but impressively so, just as the book of Joshua tells us.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10(This message has been edited by evmori)

Thank you, Ed.

I'm not sure I remember the details of the Jerico story entirely, but wasn't that the one were someone blew a horn to bring the walls tumbling down. Does the archeological evidence show that the walls were brought down by the blowing of a horn by a supernatural agent?

But I'll give you that one for now. So, it of course follows that if I can provide archeological proof of any of the places named in Norse mythology, that all of the Norse legends (and the Norse gods) are then acceptable as fact?

There is some archeological evidence the battles attributed to in the legend of King Arthur actually happened. Does that mean that the entire King Arthur myth is fact?

I'm sure you believe that the stories in the Bible are true. But that is because of your faith. Someone who doesn't share your faith would be very justified in viewing the same stories as myth, just like you view the Norse stories as myth.

The point is, one person's "facts" are another person's myth (as Trev already said very well in his early post), and it is only faith that makes gives each of our myths the ring of truth and fact for us.

Dan,

What evidence do you have the walls of Jericho were not brought down the way the bible states they were? What evidence do you have that Noah & the Flood isn't fact? You want me to provide evidence yet you can't!

Figures!

Ed Mori

Troop 1