I very rarely post in this section since it's very easy for me to cover topics that conflag into flame wars. However, I hope that this won't happen for this topic...

In my own way, I plan to protest the current SCOTUS land grab ruling on the 4th of July by flying my flag upside down....those who feel that the SCOTUS ruling is horrific, are welcomed to join me in this protest...

United States Code, Chapter 1, Section 4 "The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property."

I don't see that this applies. The ruling is a clarification or intrepretation of existing laws. It is not your property (in the sense of legal ownership) that is at risk, etc. There is also the implication that the signal is to draw attention for rescue. Do YOU or your house need rescue here?

I also wonder about the effectiveness as a symbolic act. Unless you also plan on putting up a big sign explaining WHY you are doing this, it would be about as effective as tying a purple ribbon in a tree...

In fact, that is not a bad idea! Why not get Scouts and sympathizers in your area to tie red (or another Scout color) ribbons in trees on thir property to protest the action, then try to rile up some news coverage of it?

I STRONGLY support the idea of taking action and using a symbol, I am just wondering about the particular symbol you are thinking of.

The problem is, is that the color purple is used by the gay community, and thus a purple ribbon would send the wrong message. The stonger voice of protest is the course that I suggested, and I am fully aware of flag protocol, my flag will fly upside down on the 4th. Remember, the function of a protest is to draw attention to a cause, and at times rules and laws will be broken (had our ancestors obeyed gun laws on Lexington Green we would still be sipping tea today).

Additionally, by sending out emails, and letters to the Editors of local newspapers not only gets the message out, but serves as a means to get other like minded folks to join in this protest.

Again, those who find the SCOTUS ruling wrong are being asked to only fly the flag upside down and nothing else....this is America, and you're free to do as wish on the 4th. I plan to protest....

While your distress symbol may be appropriate, I agree it probably won't convey the message to the average person. A much better avenue is the one I use: the pen is mightier than the sword. Write to your congressional reps, the President and the op-ed section of your paper. Also, key to remember is that the Supreme Court has not preempted state laws on this subject. That is to say your legislature can pass a law that makes it illegal in your state to do this. So write to all those guys, too. Several sites, such as NRA, have automatic email functions that will let you hit all your elected officials with one letter.

Again, that's what I'm doing. Good luck!!!

This is precisely the type of political expression that would be made illegal under the constitutional amendment recently approved by the US Senate.

While I disagree with your proposed form of expression - believing that disrespect to Old Glory has a very distant and not immediately obvious connection to the recent SCOTUS decision - I think it should be your political right to do so.

If you want to fly it upside-down I have no objection. I do, however, caution you that although your message is clear in YOUR mind, it is highly unlikely to be clear in anyone else's who view your statement. I support your feelings on this but I have to think there is a more effective way to protest.

I have to agree that your protest would not get across to everyone. Write letters. Lots of letters. To lots of newspapers, TV & radio stations, Senators & Congressmen. And don't forget the President & Vice President of the USA. Put up a sign stating your displeasure.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

My suggestion for a protest would be to pre-book a block of rooms at the hotel to be built on land currently owned by Judge Souter in NH.(See the other thread.)

Although I think going after the Justice's property for development is a little misguided. That developer should be looking at the Town Council's homes in New London, CT.

SA