Should A Dead Beat Dad be a Unit Leader?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow Scoutmom, I'm not surprised with your attitude. A fellow's ex-wife has more money than god so he's suppose to put himself into the poor house to make payments that to her are nothing more than tokens. Add in that if he didn't ignore his laywer's advice he could be taking a significant chunck of her money. What's that couple of grand going to get the kids that they don't have? Another trip to Vail? Another Gucci purse? Oh boy, that's helping the kids, isn't it?

Fat Old Guy,

I'm not surprised with your attitude, either. It is what I have come to expect. I never said anything about anyone going to the poor house. WHat I said was that this man has a obligation to his children. A reasonable judge or family mediator would award support based on a percentage of the non-custodial parent's income. Even if it is $5.00 a week, an obligation is an obligation.

Now, let's get back to the subject of this post, not my attitude, or your attitude. I think the COR and IH need to find out some more information by interviewing the candidate and possibly his children if they are in the troop.

You bother because hopefully you love your children. I believe it sends a negative message (to the children)if a parent refuses to meet their obligation of child support regardless of the amount.

I will have nothing else to say on this matter. If you want to continue to debate, go right ahead.

Scoutmom "Even if it is $5.00 a week, an obligation is an obligation."

Fat Old Guy "If it makes no difference, why bother? "

I "ran the law" and got five of twelve (see below). The fact he is willing to run down the need meet obligations in front of a scout is enough for me to say this unit could do better.

A Scout is Trustworthy.

A Scout tells the truth. He is honest, and he keeps his promises. People can depend on him.

A Scout is Loyal.

A Scout is true to his family, friends, Scout leaders, school, and nation.

A Scout is Helpful.

A Scout cares about other people. He willingly volunteers to help others without expecting payment or reward.

A Scout is Obedient.

A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobeying them.

A Scout is Thrifty.

A Scout works to pay his own way and to help others. He saves for the future. He protects and conserves natural resources. He carefully uses time and property.

Are you just trying to be a horse's pittut, FOG, or did we not have our oat bran this morning?

"If it makes no difference, why bother?"

Is that how you teach your scouts about duty and obligation? "It makes no difference if we clean up the park, guys. It will look just like this in another month." "It makes no difference if we visit the nursing home. Most of the geezers won't know were there any way."

" I believe it sends a negative message (to the children)if a parent refuses to meet their obligation of child support regardless of the amoun"

I have a friend whose parents were divorced over 40 years ago. Dad paid his child support on time and has met with his son once a year for lunch once a year. My friend has never met his step-mother, step-brothers or even his half-brother. He has never been in his father's house. Who is the better father? The fellow who doesn't write a check because the receipients don't need the money but loves his kids and is involved with them or the father who wrote the monthly check but had little else to do with his son?

"I have a friend whose parents were divorced over 40 years ago. Dad paid his child support on time and has met with his son once a year for lunch once a year. My friend has never met his step-mother, step-brothers or even his half-brother. He has never been in his father's house. Who is the better father? The fellow who doesn't write a check because the receipients don't need the money but loves his kids and is involved with them or the father who wrote the monthly check but had little else to do with his son?"

Neither father is admirable. And if both guys bragged about their behavior in front of scouts they are not the best choice for scoutmaster. The scoutmaster is an exemplar. Neither of your friend's friend or friend's father would be a good choice to train boy leaders.

FOG says:

Who is the better father? The fellow who doesn't write a check because the receipients don't need the money but loves his kids and is involved with them or the father who wrote the monthly check but had little else to do with his son?

Between these two fathers, I'll cast a write-in vote for the third guy, who writes the checks he is obligated to write, AND stays involved with his kids. All other things being equal, that guy would probably make the best Scout leader of the three, as well. I've known all three kinds, and every other kind mentioned in this thread. Of course, I am not sure what any of them really have to do with whether the particular person in Matua's troop should be a leader or not.

By the way, as for whether child support is "needed" in any particular case, and who pays it, and whether any money comes back the other way in alimony or anything else, that is up to a court. And nobody needs to tell me horror stories about how a court made a decision that was wrong, or seemed wrong. Believe me, I've seen them myself. But it's the only system we have.

First Pusk and others say, "If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobeying them."

Where the Scouts who went into hiding in Europe during WW II and secretly supported the Allied invasion bad Scouts?

Would George Washington have been a good Scout leader? What about Rosa Parks? They both flagrantly violated the law of the land.

Buffalo . . . that's what's so great about this country and why it isn't Canada. You are free to disagree with me even when I'm right.

New Jersey Dude, sorry but in a multiple choice question you can't pick answer that isn't offered as a choice. Nice try though.

FOG, I didn't even realize I was enrolled in your class. Where's the dean's office, I need to get a withdrawal slip...