Well, I guess the "duh" answer would be to complete the required training.

But that can range from taking an online training at MyScouting to a week or more at a BSA National Camping School. Without knowing what type of activities you are talking about, it's hard to give a more specific answer.

My Wood Badge patrol did our presentation on shooting sports, but I've forgotten most of the details as that was over a year ago.

I'm sure there are others here well versed on what is and isn't allowed based on various levels of scouting and the training requirements.

I am our district Training Chair.. If you emailed me with this question, I would pump it up to an email that hit both our DE & the Programs Director for the council. The District Training staff doesn't teach this type of stuff.. But.. I know there was some sort of training going on about 2 weekends back at one of our council camps dealing with shooting sports, I do not know what it certified you to do though.

Yup, if you District Training Chair does not respond, I would suggest asking you Council Program Director (The DE for me is just to keep him in the loop.)

A note on in-person trainings from your council/district - By this time of the year most councils/districts are done with the majority of their in-person trainings. They are gearing up their facilities, and resources for Summer Camps.

Come July/August most councils will have published their calendars (including training) for the new Scouting year.

I suggest attending District Roundtables, checking your council and district web sites, and signing up to receive your council and district newsletters, to get current/up-coming information.

Talk to your district and council folks as the level of training varies to the degree you do it. Running a BB gun or archery course for Cubs require one level, but running a rifle and shotgun range, or handgun range for Sea Scouts and Venturers, requires a differnt, more addvanced cert.

I will do all of those things.

So cubs cannot go sailing? I see the usual fear of sailing still exists in Scouting. I was sailing sunfish, and optimus prams at the age of 8 no sweat. But I guess I was a minority.

For good or bad, things have gotten stricter over time with what is and is not allowed. for two reasons..

1) BSA gets hit with many lawsuits, so have uptight micro-managers combing through everything.

2) Parents tend to want to bubble wrap children these days.. And will sue over a small cut on the pinky..

Yes, Cubs can go sailing.

However, it is restricted to adult operated, at council/district events.

BSA programs are not geared to what one individual youth does, or is capable of doing, on his own time.

The BSA Scout program is age appropriate, and progressive, for the skills, and capabilities of the majority of it's youth members.