I have seen a lot of discussion on the topic of wood badge. I have also heard a lot of hype in my district and council.

I just wonder how an expensive course can make me such a superior leader. How can this course define me as a leader.

When people have asked me about taking the course, I have told them that I was not ready to take the course yet. I told them that when I felt I needed to take the course I would, because I feel that it does not make me any less of a leader for not having the beads hung around my neck.

I hear too much about the fact that the training is no longer scout skills related and more a corporate training now.

Is it really worth it? My time and money. I put a lot into scouts already and I wonder if the time to go to this course will make me such a better leader.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on your statements, it does not sound like you are "ready" to attend WB, so, that being the case, I would not go.

Now, yes, I took my WB back in '83 -- but it really does not matter which course you are taking, it needs to be something you "want" to do.

(This message has been edited by UCEagle72)

I'm headed back next week and it has been worth it for me. The course all about being a successful troop and patrol. They work on the dynamics with in patrols, leadership , listening and team building skills. How to conduct service projects and LNT. It gets you thinking about how you deliver scouting. It also connects you to other dedicated scouters.

If you don't think you want to take it yet, don't. Wait until your ready to get with other Scouters to have some fun and hopefully learn something.

I used to be an Owl...

You pose your questions in an interesting way.

I was a vounteer for several years and deliberately postponed taking Woodbadge. I decided I would wait until I was starting to wear my initial enthusiasm out, using Wood Badge to rekindle that enthusiasm.

I'm not sure that was the best decision, but it did work that way for me.

Also I consider Wood Badge a luxury. If the time and money you contribute to Scouting are issues for you, I wouldn't do it.

The two primary effects of Wood Badge for me were 1) a deeper emotional understanding of Scouiting and the Patrol method. 2) a deeper commitment to Scouting as a life long commitment.

I would say it only marginally improved my leadership skills.

And I wouldn't let myself be guilted or sold into going. I encourage enthusiastic Scouters to take Wood Badge but I don't do a sales job on them. I don't even mention Wood Badge to people who aren't enthusiastic, committed Scouters ---- not likely to be worth their time is my assessment.

(This message has been edited by seattlepioneer)

SctDad,

Me personally I'd hold off. With the new job, young child, getting back invovled in the OA as an AA, involved on the outdoor committee, etc in addition to your CM duties, you already got a very full plate. I know that I am waiting until I have more time to make that 18 month committment, 2 weekends plus 18 months to work the ticket, whenever that happens :).

On the other hand, that full plate would probably give you a bunch of ticket items if you do decide to take WB.

Good luck.

No training makes you a better leader. Application of what you learn during that training is what makes you a better leader.

One very big part of Woodbadge is your ticket items. You will be required to complete 5 projects over the 18 months following your "classroom" time, which should be unit based if you are active in a unit. The result of those tickets should better your unit in some way. So, from that stand point alone, I would answer your question as yes - Woodbadge is worth it.

From a personal side I got a better perspective on Scouting - Boys Scouts in particular - through WB. I took the course just as my boy crossed over so it introduced me to the Patrol Method and the boy led concept in a very demonstrative way. I do wish, though, that I'd had time in the unit first - I would have designed my tickets differently.

Sandy, a Forever Fox, C-16-09

I just finished my first weekend. My DS still has 1 1/2 or 2 years in Cubs (depending on when he crosses over). I'm glad I'm doing it now. I'm comformable enough with Cubs that I'm not having any trouble coming up with Ticket items and I'm learning alot about how the Patrols work in Boy Scouts that I'm less stressed about helping him pick a Troop.

Like some poeple say...You get out of something as much as you put in. I'm looking at becomeing a better leader but also learning more about the next stage of Boy Scouts.

Diana

Cubmaster Pack 32

S8-18-11-1

I use to be Beaver

SctDad writes:

I just wonder how an expensive course can make me such a superior leader. How can this course define me as a leader.

Now really, how important to you is being defined as a "leader"? :)

What Wood Badge does best is package as "How to be a Leader," a course Baden-Powell designed to teach us "How to be an Outdoorsman."

As for those who claim that Wood Badge teaches the "Patrol Method," ask them how often their Patrols hike and camp without adult supervision. That is how Baden-Powell defined his Patrol System, and how William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt defined his "Patrol Method."

Failing ANY such experience with "Real" PATROL CAMPING, ask them how far apart their Patrols camp for TROOP CAMPING.

If you want to understand how "How to be a Leader" works in the real world, simply ask your local past and present Wood Badge staffers and course directors to explain why the EDGE Method replaced Patrol Leaders and any description of a working Patrol in the Patrol Method presentation of "SM & ASM Specific Training."

Wood Badge Fake Leadership is why most Troops practice the Den Method, not the Patrol Method.

If you would rather learn how to implement what William Hillcourt called the "Real" Patrol Method, then skip Wood Badge and purchase a copy of Hillcourt's two-volume, eleven-hundred page Scoutmaster manual.

Copies can be purchased for about $15 per volume.

See:

http://tinyurl.com/ydutcxo

Yours at 300 feet:

Kudu

http://kudu.net

(This message has been edited by Kudu)

How could you possibly not understand my "point"?

The test of whether or not Wood Badge teaches the "Patrol Method" is how course directors, staffers, and participants actually implement it in their home Troops.

Does the home Troop of ANY Wood Badge course director in the United States meet the standards of Baden-Powell (who invented Wood Badge and the Patrol System) or William Hillcourt (who designed the BSA Patrol Method and the American version of Wood Badge)?

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net

Hey Kudu was just wondering do you get a commission on every set of the old Hillcourt scoutmaster handbooks you get people to buy, lol. I hear what you are saying though, and sadly the old methods of training scoutmasters using BP and Hillcourts techniques are gone forever as is much of the original scout program. IMHO, the new WoodBadge does very little to make you a better scout leader, but regretably it is the only advanced training offered by the BSA. Is it worth the money or do you receive any special benefits completing the training, other than some new friendships, the answer is in reality NO, if you want to be totally honest. The earlier version of WoodBadge, IMO, was a much better program than WB21C is and it is my hope that someday the BSA will get a CSE with some real vision who will bring the program back more to its original priorities than the high tech, corporate management style crapola that is currently being pushed down our throats.

Satisfaction and learnin' are two different things, eh? ;) Yeh can be like SeattlePioneer, and be satisfied that WB helped re-kindle your scoutin' enthusiasm even though yeh didn't learn much by way of leadership.

I think all da different WB incarnations have their pluses and minuses. I reckon it's probably right that one of da real benefits is throwin' some extra fuel on your scoutin' fire and making some longer-term contacts and friendships with fellow leaders. Yah, sure, da beads also act like a college ring - a way "in" to da social groups of longer-time scouters. Leastways, to some of 'em, though personally I don't care for that sort of thing when it gets too cliquey. Some folks are into it, though, and social support isn't always a bad thing.

If yeh have spent much time in management seminars and retreats, you'll recognize da WB21C stuff and yeh might be a bit jaded toward it. If not, yeh might find that stuff fresh and interestin', and get a few ideas about how to apply it to workin' with kids. The WB21C course really won't build your kid-skills or outdoor skills, so if you're lookin' for that yeh might be disappointed, especially since the current course isn't program-specific, eh? One size fits all, Tigers to Rangers, District Chairs to Assistant Den Leaders to Ship Committee members.

Like folks say, much as da project plays a big role in Eagle, workin' your ticket plays a big role in WB. If you've had a few ideas about things yeh think your unit needs to improve on or ways yeh think your district can grow, it can give yeh the incentive and push and a bit of support to roll up your sleeves and take that on. In that way, yeh get out of it what yeh put in.

Beavah

Perhaps I should have specified that they were satisfied with the course material and what they learned as opposed to the food served. Here's the deal, 30 something adults entering scouting with their kids have absolutley no idea how this course stacks up against all the differnt variations over the years. Whining about the new course as opposed to the old course is an exercise in futility. It isn't coming back. Someday this course will be the "old" course and people will be lamenting the same things that Kudu is today.

Is it worth it? Sure. Is it necessary to be a good Scouter. No. The right time to do it is when and if you have the desire.