mandatory training is coming our way

I took the online version of Dis Com training b/c for whatever reason PDL-1 didn't qualify ;) . I did pass it. However it did take me a very long time to finish it, kept getting interrupted by the kids. I believe they now have a timelimit of 45 minutes for that course, but don't quote me on it. I did in in abut 2 hours, again with interruptions.

As for the CS side, according to national BALOO and Webelos Outdoor training are NOT required to be fully trained, just top take you pack/den camping. Even then only 1 leader in the pack needs BALOO, and it could be the brand new TCDL ;)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey emb021

Didn't mean to upset you with incorrect terminology but I simply copied and pasted from material sent to me by our council. Their terminology and requirements not mine.

I would be the first to tell you that I know very little about Venturing.

dew

I have been doing this stuff for 10 years now. I took the basic course back when it was called "Basic Scout Leader Training", and then I took Woodbadge in 2001, the previous course, which I affectionately call "Woodbadge for the 20th Century". I wonder if the BSA will still consider me "Trained", even though I have not been through the updated courses.

Last year I signed up for the Outdoor Leader Skills course, to see if I could gleen any new stuff about the outdoor program, and learn from others things I could present to my scouts. I was told by the course leader that this was the very same "BSLT" course, and that I should not waste my time.

I agree that leaders should be trained, and I don't care if it is mandatory. I would also like for the BSA to come up with some sort of continueing education for Scout leaders, or some sort of refresher courses, so the technique does not dull, and the vision of the organization stays vital.

I, too, love this stuff.

"This like every other attempt will fail the minute they find out that they have to suspend 40% or more of the units for failure to comply"

Its before my time but ... Is this what happened when they made YPT mandatory? 40% seems a bit high, but did they really lose a lot of units over that?

Around here, a unit cannot register for a district or council event/camp without the leaders providing copies of their YPT certificates. Seems to me they could extend this to any sort of training. What if we had to submit copies of our "This is Scouting" certificates to register for summer camp? Would units really start dropping if they aren't allowed to attend camp next summer?

"Its before my time but ... Is this what happened when they made YPT mandatory? 40% seems a bit high, but did they really lose a lot of units over that?"

The difference with YPT is that it can be taken quickly and easily on line. A year ago I filed a tour permit and got a call saying that they did not know if I was current on YPT. I thought about it and realized that it had been more than two years (OK, more like 10). I assured the nice lady that I would take care of it. At lunch I logged on to the training site, took the course, printed the certificate and faxed it to council. In all it took less than an hour of my time and I didn't have to leave my office.

Now say for example we get a call saying that we can't process your units charter because because the SM has not taken IOLS (he has, or at least he took BSLT but lets say he hasn't). OK, when it is the training? Next month. OK, sign me up. Sorry that one is full. When is the next one? Six months from now.... And by the way, your unit's charter is on hold until then.

This is a seen that could play out in a lot of units. We have at least three trained ASMs in addition to the SM so we will be OK. We have some untrained ASMs but we could drop them and still recharter. Two are college students, Eagles from our troop who probably will not be able to take IOLS as it is only offered two weekends during the school year. But we cans still recharter without them.

We would also have issues with our CC and most of our committee but they can and should get trained and can do it on line. I am sure that it will thin the committee a bit since some will just not bother.

Can it all be done? Yes. Will it be easy? No. Councils and districts will really have to step up to make sure that training is available for all who need it. Multiple sessions of IOLS, perhaps offering it at summer camp. Constant reminders during the year to get the key people to actually sit down and take the classes. Commissioners are going to need to be busy little beavers to make this happen. DE's are going to be burning a lot of midnight oil and taking a lot of Tylenol.

Will it be worth it in the end? Probably, at least I hope so.

BTW Curious, welcome to the campfire.

Hal

"Maybe those 40% are not running a good program so if they go away, so will the poor programs. There are a lot of units to go around that run good programs. "

And maybe those 40% are running good programs servicing Scouts that would quit otherwise. There ARE a lot of units that run good programs -- not all of them subscribe to National's idea of training. Beyond that, just MAYBE, some of those 40% are running BETTER programs than half the troops that do take the check-the-box training.

""Its before my time but ... Is this what happened when they made YPT mandatory? 40% seems a bit high, but did they really lose a lot of units over that?"

"The difference with YPT is that it can be taken quickly and easily on line. "

Quite true.

YPT has been mandatory for certain things for a long time. If you were attending a National event (Jamboree or NOAC) you had to have taken YPT "recently" (whatever that meant). When it was only available as a video training, presented by a qualified person, it was a real pain to get it for some.

Now its on-line and I can knock it out every year in a short time and not worry.

And they are putting more of this training on-line. Most (maybe soon all) the safety-related training is there. Fast Start. This is Scouting. Except for position-specific, one can get all the other training they need to be 'basic trained' on-line. So there is little excuse for not being trained. And no one said you HAVE to attend the position-specific training to get it. It can be done one-on-one or even self study.

In refernce to specific training, my SE coming back from the top hands meeting mentioned that it was going online for CS leaders. Also someone back form NOAC who attended the training forum stated that specific trainign will also go online.

Again This is stuff I've been told, so take itwith a grain of salt.

We had a national guy as keynote speaker at our council program kickoff meeting a couple of weeks ago. He stated that the mandatory training is being piloted in a number of councils in 2010 and will roll out in 2011. What will be mandatory is This is Scouting, Fast Start, Youth Protection (all of which can be taken online) and leader specific training. If you are a committee member, you can do your specific training online.