mandatory training is coming our way

Just got a FB post from my SE saying that it looks as if Mandatory training is on the way nationally. He just got back form the top hands conference. Also looks as if they will be putting the different DL specific training online. Wanted to give a heads up

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like every other week we see a post where someone heard of some big change at a conference or training. Some actually happen and some might still but most are to vague and/or just plain weird to be credible.

What kind of training is going to be mandatory? Their are so many types and levels of training and some are already mandatory for some activities. What are we talking about here?

Hal

This is what my SE posted

Returned from National Scout Executive's Mtg w/ almost too much info. I forsee all unit contact leaders being required to complete basic training within one year in very near future. Cub Scout specific will very soon go on-line.

Well if they're going to put the basic training online and make sure their recording system actually works, then I guess I might be ok with this.

If they're going to continue to rely on uneven presentations, scheduled once or twice a year, done by volunteers with no experience as trainers or teachers, If scoutnet is going to continue to be unreliable, and if the OTC is going to continue to "forget" who we are every time an update is made so as to result in continual loss of volunteers' training records, then no, I'm not ok with it because it won't work, will be a waste of time, and will turn off a lot of otherwise excellent potential leaders.

Like always, we'll just have to wait and see.

From http://scouting.org/training/trainingupdates.aspx --

"Plans are to require training for all top leaders in 2011 and all direct-contact leaders in 2012. Direct-contact leaders include assistant leaders and den leaders. Council training teams should begin to update training records by conducting training inventories of their leaders and prepare to make training more readily available and to expand their training teams."

Top leaders I assume to mean SM, CM, and perhaps CC.

We'll see if the plans actually are rolled out as suggested. In our district, we are (yet again) being asked to provide training dates and history to our Training Chairperson (assumedly to yet again try to get ScoutNet somewhat accurate).

We have been notified that our Council has been selected as a 'pilot training council'. This is what we were told is the policy:

"Beginning September 1, 2009 ALL Top Leaders (Cubmasters, Scoutmasters and Crew Advisors) will have 1 year to complete their required Trainings in their current registered position. Beginning September 1, 2010 ALL Den Leaders, Assistant Scoutmasters and Committee Members will have 1 year to complete training in their current registered position. Beginning January 1, 2012 for Units not having Trained Leadership the Unit Charter will be put on hold until Trainings are complete. "

These are the requirements by position:

Cubmasters:

This is Scouting Youth Protection

Fast Start- Cubmaster

Leader Specific Training- Cubmaster

BALOO

Tiger Leader, Den Leaders and Webelos Leaders:

This is Scouting Youth Protection

Fast Start- Tiger Leader, Den Leader or Webelos

Leader Leader Specific Training-Tiger Leader, Den Leader or Webelos Leader

BALOO or Webelos Outdoor Training Scoutmasters and Assistant

Scoutmasters:

This is Scouting

Youth Protection

Fast Start- Scoutmaster

Leader Specific Training-

Scoutmaster Outdoor Leadership Skills

Venture Crew Advisors:

This is Scouting

Youth Protection

Fast Start- Venture Crew Advisor

Leader Specific Training-

Venture Crew Advisor Outdoor Leadership Skills

Unit Committee Chairs and Committee Members:

This is Scouting

Youth Protection

Fast Start- Unit Committee

Unit Committee Challenge

District Committee and Commissioners:

This is Scouting

Youth Protection

Committee- Staffing the District Committee

Commissioners- Unit Commissioner Orientation

Most of this is available on-line except things like Leader Specific and Outdoor.

I do wonder how this will affect some units. Will it scare people away? In our area, at least, attracting volunteers is not easy.

And I know that many will have a fit when I say this but some of the worst volunteers in our area are the most trained. They pick and choose what features to follow and when anyone questions them point to their trained patch and yell very loudly. I don't blame training for this all you can do is train people but you can't make them actually learn or perform. Rather, my point is that I don't believe that training is the answer to all problems. Some very good leaders have not taken training but learned the program through other means such as reading the book!! or watching others do it correctly. Conversely, some take training but it is not reflected in the way they execute the program.

What this still fails to say is what they mean by requiring training. Do they mean that they will require all leaders (as previously defined) to "be trained" as in eligible to wear the "Trained" patch for their position or is it some lower level.

Hal

From what I am hearing, all leaders must complete basic training, i.e. earned the trained strip, or the charter gets placed on hold. At leaste that is what I am getting from DesASM's post.

Another thing I've heard, stressing the HEARD so take it with a grain of salt, is that if you don't meet the basic trained requirements, then the leader will be pulled from the charter.

All I know is that i am emphasising trainging NOW to my pack, and will be bringing up the topic at RT this week.

Has anyone ever passed Staffing the District Committee? Everyone I've spoken to, who has tried to take it, has bombed it.

If they're going to require this for all District Committee members, I think we're going to have a lot fewer people at the district level...

Please use correct terminology.

Venturing Crew Advisors:

This is Scouting

Youth Protection

Fast Start- Venturing Crew Advisor

Leader Specific Training- Venturing Leader Specific Training

The above has always been required to be a "basic trained" venturing adult.

"Venturing Crew Advisor Outdoor Leadership Skills"

No such course. If you meant Intro to Outdoor Leader Skills, be advanced that course is intended for Boy Scout leaders AND not all Venturing Crews are outdoor oriented. So requiring ALL Venturing Crew adults to take it is nonsense. Why should a sport-oriented crew have to take it or a church crew?