I am enrolled to attend the 2008 SR912 Woodbadge. I am really excited in attending the program, I will be a second generation Woodbadger following in my moms footsteps. The real question is, is it going to be worth my time? I have attended National Jamborees, Philmont, countless summer and winter camps (staff and as a participant) as a youth. As an adult I have gone through my basic trainings, baloo, UOS ect..... I am not really sure what to aspect from Woodbadge......... I know I love to camp and hope if I do not get anything out of WB maybe it might spark some old memorys and maybe next time I can help out with staff on the next go around. What I really want to know is what experienced scouters got out of the program?

I attended Wood Badge after 10 years as a Scoutmaster. Prior to Wood Badge I had been to Philmont as advisor on a trek and attended a class at the Philmont Training Center. I had also been to National Jamboree as a Scoutmaster. I must admit that my real motivation was to get a group of Scouters off my back. I really respected a large group of Wood Badgers in my council, but never really wanted to invest the time to go.

After I attended the course, my real regret was waiting so long. I can't tell you something specific I got from the course. I might say in my case it was like a rededication to Scouting. Been close to 10 years since I went, and could use something to rev me up again. Go to WB. Enjoy it. I suspect you will relish the experience.

Two question sets:

How many connections and relationships do you have with Scouters outside your own immediate District? Do you want to expand your network?

How much leadership psych have you had through the years (military, undergrad, training courses in the workplace)? If old and familiar ground, would revisiting it be useful? If new ground, are you willing to learn some new tricks?

If you answered yes to these, then WB will give you tools in the toolbox.

Besides, it's fun (especially the second weekend!)

My thoughts.

John

I used to be an Owl

C-40-05

To quote an iconic TV Commercial...

"Try it, you'll like it"

I have not met anyone that will admit Wood Badge was a waste of time. I have read very few over the last few years say something to that affect, but the % is very small when you get down to it. WB will give you very usable tools for use in Scouting. These tools are also very valuable in your normal life as well, but we all know that nobody in scouting has a normal life any more...ha!

The time is minimal for the amount of information you get. The training is a lot more valuable than the few hundred dollars it cost to attend. The friends you make are life long and irreplaceable. You also get some cool goodies when you've completed your ticket, the neckerchief, woggle and beads.

I'd been in Scouting for 20 years prior to taking the course. Ok, that included my time as a youth, too, but that all counts as far as I'm concerned. I learned about different types and styles of leadership. I learned about team building and team dynamics. I learned about the mechanics of communications and interpersonal relationships, I learned how to listen, how to plan projects, and how to assess myself in my scouting, professional and or personal life.

There's so much more. I'm a little biased, but I think it's going to change your life.

Enjoy the course.

Matt

I used to be a Bear

WE4-51-2-03

and a good 'ol staffer too

WE4-45-1-07&08

Is Woodbadge worth it?

It was for me.

Of course a lot depends on what you want or what you expect to get out of the course.

The 21st Century Wood Badge course is a leadership course.

It isn't the old Boy Scout or Cub Scout Trainer course.

If you have taken and participated in other management or leadership courses? Maybe you have a lot of what the course does provide?

It has been my experience that unless the training is really bad! When a group of Scouter's get together with no Scouts around they have a good time.

I have to admit that I think all this talk about a "Mountain Top Experience" is a little over the top.

It's a leadership course!!

It isn't a Philmont Trek, it isn't a trip to Disney Land.

The course doesn't dwell on practical skills. If you couldn't tie a bowline on a bite before you attend the course, chances are they when you complete the course you still won't be able to tie one.

The course seems to have been elevated to some kind of larger than life experience, but it's six days spend with a group of people who share the same values and a lot of time doing much the same things as you like to do, finding and looking at tools that help make you a better leader.

If that's what you want? If your family and employer can spare you for the time it takes and you have a couple of hundred dollars that you can spare?

Then the course is worth it.

Eamonn.

Dollar wise WB is worth about 200 bucks.

For me, a seasoned scouter and a guy who had been through quite a few leadership/management course, didn't get a lot from the classes. But I did get a lot from the people there, and rekindled old friendships and made new ones. Plus my people network expanded quite a bit. It wasn't the "mountian top" experienice that some people get going to it, but it was well worth the 200 bucks.

Go to WB with an open mind, network like crazy, have fun, and you will get a lot out of it.

Cary P

C-39-06

Bobwhites rule the world

• 2 weeks later...

Pack378,

I just recently took Woodbadge in October 2007, in course SR-847. This course was two weekend course.

I grew up in the scouting program just like yourself and did a lot of stuff throughout my carrier in scouting. I thought that Woodbadge wasn't really going help me out. My District Exectutive is a Woodbadger at heart and has been the staff advisor for the last two courses. She had been on me about going to three previous courses. I was being very hard headed and thought that Woodbadge would not help me out at all.

After the first weekend I approached my District Executive and thanked her for continually being persistant about going to Woodbadge. When I did this I was in tears, because I had already learned so much from the course and already developed bonds with my patrol that I think will last a lifetime for me.

To answer your question Woodbadge was well worth your time. You may see some stuff that is similar to when you took leadership training as a youth, but you will learn so much more and come out of Woodbadge with such a greater sense of what it means to be a leader especially while you work on your ticket.

Good luck and just go into the course with an open mind and you will learn more than you think right now.

Hi All

What you will get from WB that you have not experienced yet from your list is how to set visions and goals and how to build a team that works toward those visions and goals. In my opinion, 50% of inter-unit adult problems will disappear with that training.

I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

"What I really want to know is what experienced scouters got out of the program?

I get something new out of every Wood Badge I participate in. New program ideas, new resources, new presentation ideas, new friends. new ways to interlace skills. Plus the fun of sharing the scouting program with people looking to learn and grow.

But you will find each persons experiences different, and what you get out of it will be unique to your needs and you contributions.

You never know when your Course Director is waiting in the wings.

Yes Jer,

Wood Badge is worth your time. As the mother of four scouts, if it wasn't worth my time the first time around, I wouldn't have served on staffs afterwards or accepted this current assignment. What did I get out of it, more than I ever expected, but I won't list specifics, each individual takes something different and I don't want to influence your experience. Now, you have less than three weeks left, get ready for the fun to begin.

Signed,

The Course Director :o)

SR-912

Ms. Eagle 515, nice of you to chime in! have you checked the site yet?

I have to say The pre-course orientation really answered most of my questions.... I'm kind of curious about camping at signet....three weeks huh?

• 3 weeks later...

Was Wood Badge worth it to me? Absolutely. Are there some who shouldn't go? Absolutely.

I believe I am an experienced Scouter. I never claim to know it all, but I figured I knew enough. I've been a registered Scout and Scouter since 1973. I've been to Philmont. I've been to Northern Tier. Summer Camp staff. Leadership training staff. And to top it off, an Eagle Scout.

Guess what? I didn't know as much as I thought I did because Wood Badge in the 21st Century is different from the "old" Wood Badge. It is geared more towards goal setting and group dynamics, etc.

If you go with the right attitude and the willingness to keep an open mind, Wood Badge is very well worth it. I've been invigorated and re-energized. I've stepped outside of my own little world (Asst. SM with a troop) and am now very active with my district.

I've met guys in my patrol (Bear, of course) who will remain friends for rest of my life.

Unfortunately, we had a guy in my patrol who pretty much wasted his whole time with Wood Badge. Bad attitude. Didn't like to take instruction/directions and he liked to do things his way. Needless to say, we don't hear from him