Not prepared for M.B. sessions

We work on Merit badges during weekly meetings. We have some boys who continully forget their work sheets. Or even continually lose them. They have to take their work sheets home to work on them, so they can't leave them. Any ideas on how to mprove this?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

daks68,

You're going to get a lot of replies on this. Teaching merit badges is NOT part of the Troop meeting. Only on an exceptional basis would you set up, temporarily, a merit badge program as part of a Troop meeting(so you see, there is an exception to this rule). Scouts pursue merit badges through the guidance of their Scoutmaster and Advancement Committee person. This assures Youth Protection procedures, and that a registered and qualified counselor is participating. Group teaching waters down the effectiveness of learning from the merit badge program. By providing the appropriate merit badge program, the worksheet problem simply doesn't exist. Scouts are encouraged at the right time to start earning merit badges. They start, because they "want" to. The Scout is making the effort. He won't lose his worksheet. But, when a bunch of Scouts are grouped together for some sort of merit badge, they have no vested interest, thus, they don't care if they lose a worksheet. Change your Troop meetings and run the right program.

sst3rd

I agree with sst3rd. When a boy wants to earn a Merit Badge, he should see his Scoutmaster and obtain a blue card. Depending on how the Troop is set up, the Scoutmaster of the Advancement Chairman provides the boy with a list of Merit Badge Councelors qualified by the council for the merit badge on which he wants to work. The boy should contact the Merit Badge councelor, make an appointment, remember the buddy system, and meet with the councelor.

Ocassionally, it may make sense to do a class during a Troop meeting. This happens for us a couple times a year when we start our cycle on rock climbing and repelling, and again when we go to the fire station for a 1st aid class. But even then, we just expose the boys to the subject. It is up to each of them to approach the instructor with a blue card in order to officially start the MB.

Once in a great while, if one of our adults is the MB councelor, we will agree to meet a boy during our troop meeting. This is very discouraged, however, as most of the boys have something important to be doing during the meeting. Those of us that council a large number og badges tend to show up VERY early for meetings (5:30 - 6:00 for a 7:00 meeting), and stay pretty late (9:00 - 9:30 for an 8:30 end time) in order to accomodate boys who make appointments (and we bought the "one hour a week" line!!!)

Group MB instructing is certainly easier, there's no doubt about that. But it is not nearly as effective, and I feel we cheat boys who ask us to work with them.

Good luck!

Mark

I agree with others' statements before mine. Of course, the recommended practice is for the troop schedule to have monthly themes, such as Aquatics, Camping, etc., that may correlate to boys merit badge advancement. However, I am not implying that requirements are being passed-off during the meeting, but that instruction that may be applicable to one or more merit badge requirements probably will be given during the meeting.

Any passing-off of merit badge requirements are relegated to outside the meeting itself; before the meeting or after the meeting is also ok.

Group teaching waters down the effectiveness of learning from the merit badge program.

It entirely depends on the approach taken by the merit badge counselor.

By providing the appropriate merit badge program, the worksheet problem simply doesn't exist. Scouts are encouraged at the right time to start earning merit badges. They start, because they "want" to.

In our troop, the PLC asked if the troop leadership could arrange to work on two Eagle badges per year. We mutually agreed. The plan was agreed to as follows.

The appropriate counselor or counselors will run merit badge sessions during the Troop meeting. These sessions will be open to those Scouts who signed up and agreed that they were interested in pursuing the badge. For the several week period that a badge is being offered, the troop leadership will provide an alternative program (non-merit badge related) to those Scouts not interested in pursing the slated merit badge. This year we worked on Emergency Preparedness and Personal Fitness.

The Scout is making the effort. He won't lose his worksheet. But, when a bunch of Scouts are grouped together for some sort of merit badge, they have no vested interest, thus, they don't care if they lose a worksheet.

Because the sessions were for those who signed up (i.e., no one was required to take the sessions), only those boys who "wanted" to do the work were there. If your troop had a similar arrangement, I would simply give the said Scouts a warning. Take home the worksheets and do them, or you will not be allowed to participate in the sessions.

Change your Troop meetings and run the right program.

A little harsh I think. If the boys are participating voluntarily, and an alternative exist for others, then I think the program is being run "right".

Being a lowly Cub Scouter at this time, let me ask the obvious question for those not in the know. If Scouts don't work on merit badges at their meetings (I realize that much of the work must be done outside the meeting), what do they do in the meetings?

There is nothing wrong in having merit badge session at troop meetings. Our troop dose and we have had no complaints. The boys deside on what merit badge they want to do. The boys usally knock out three merit badges a year with merit badge sessions at troop. We have a small troop so it works out great. The merit badge sessions do not take away from our Scouting Program.

The troop is working on Space Exploration. It was great to see our older Scouts helping out the younger ones with their model rockets. The boys are having fun, learning something, and getting a little "leadership" experince all at the same time.

I agree, there are many MB's that can be taught at meetings, yes the scout should be reviewed to make sure he knows the material. Now some scouts in the class do not grasp the material and they should receive a partial. Tell them what they need to finish and see them at a later date.

kwc57,

The troop meeting serves multiple functions using a series of short segments and following a monthly theme. The troop meeting provides a catalyst for all other activities. It is where scouts learn and teach skills as a patrol, practice leadership, plan campouts and activities, compete against other patrols, meet people from the community, and learn to run their own program through adult guidance and self-evaluation.

One reason that troop meetings being used for merit badge programs not a supported method of scouting is that it breaks up the patrol. What if the patrol leaders spend "several weeks" in merit badge classes, who leads the patrol? What if it's half the patrol that takes the merit badge classes? How does a scout learn to lead or how does the patrol involve everyone in decisions?

In addition, group classes diminish a major growth experience that the MB program is designed to do. That is the character development that evolves from the scout having to contact the counselor, set and keep appointments and learn from an expert on a one-on-one basis (with an adult or youth buddy nearby). A very small part of completing a MB has to do with the related skill. Much of it is learning about career opportunities, the importance of continuing education, and making contacts in the community.

If the boys are participating voluntarily, and an alternative exist for others, then I think the program is being run "right".

Even though the scouts in the PLC decided to do this, it is the responsibility of the scoutmaster to guide their activities along the program guidelines. The Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual as well as the SM Handbook, and all levels of Scoutmaster training advise against this type of program because it focuses only on advancement to the exclusion of many other equally important program methods and elements. I'm sure an explanation of the purpose and methods of the troop meeting and the merit badge program would have allowed the scouts to make a more informed decision.

Change your Troop meetings and run the right program. May seem harsh to some, but more important is it's correct.

Bob White

The troop meeting serves multiple functions using a series of short segments and following a monthly theme. The troop meeting provides a catalyst for all other activities. It is where scouts learn and teach skills as a patrol, practice leadership, plan campouts and activities, compete against other patrols, meet people from the community, and learn to run their own program through adult guidance and self-evaluation.

An occasional merit badge session on the side, or even as the focal point does not have to prevent any of the aforementioned activities. It may delay them, but it doesn't have to preclude those things from ever happening.

One reason that troop meetings being used for merit badge programs not a supported method of scouting is that it breaks up the patrol. What if the patrol leaders spend "several weeks" in merit badge classes, who leads the patrol?

That's a problem most PLC's could figure out. But off the top of my head, how about utilizing your Assistant Patrol leader as a fill in.

What if it's half the patrol that takes the merit badge classes?

Bob, I thought you disliked folks asking "What if" all the time. Didn't you claim those hypothetical scenarios to be unrealistic and/or contrived to counter reasonable arguments? Regardless, the answer is the same as it was before. Present these problems to the PLC. If they can't find a good solution, then maybe the answer is to scrub the idea. On the other hand, maybe they find a good alternative.

How does a scout learn to lead or how does the patrol involve everyone in decisions?

You lost me on this one. If the PL is in a merit badge session, then for this period of time he would not be leading. However, he will have plenty of other opportunities. As for the second half of the question, the patrol can be involved at patrol meetingsAgain, I'm not sure what you're asking.

In addition, group classes diminish a major growth experience that the MB program is designed to do. That is the character development that evolves from the scout having to contact the counselor, set and keep appointments and learn from an expert on a one-on-one basis (with an adult or youth buddy nearby).

With a hundred or so merit badges to chose from, I doubt that any Scout will miss out on this opportunity. Most troops that offer group merit badges, only offer about two or three a year. A Scout only has to have this experience so many times (i.e., contacting the counselor, set and keep appointments, etc.). It's not rocket science. As for learning from an expert, the Scout should be learning most of the material on his own. The expert (merit badge counselor) is there to verify his work more than anything else.

A very small part of completing a MB has to do with the related skill. Much of it is learning about career opportunities, the importance of continuing education, and making contacts in the community.

These things can be accomplished in small groups as easily as individually.

Even though the scouts in the PLC decided to do this, it is the responsibility of the scoutmaster to guide their activities along the program guidelines. The Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual as well as the SM Handbook, and all levels of Scoutmaster training advise against this type of program because it focuses only on advancement to the exclusion of many other equally important program methods and elements. I'm sure an explanation of the purpose and methods of the troop meeting and the merit badge program would have allowed the scouts to make a more informed decision.

Note to Bob...

When BSA advises one thing, and a troop decides to do another, it does NOT mean the program is ruined. It means the troop made a decision that worked best for them. No one is focusing on advancement to the exclusion of "important program methods and elements". This is a false assumption. They are simply offering some boys the opportunity to earn a merit badge. Our troop presents a well-rounded program. A few merit badge sessions held at some troop meetings is not going to hurt the program. I'd be willing to bet that those folks who answer the phones in Irving or at your local council would agree. NOT every piece of advice put out by BSA has to be followed to the letter. In many cases "advice" is simply that That's probably difficult for some folks to grasp. BSA recommendations do not have to be interpreted as if they're the Ten Commandments.

May seem harsh to some, but more important is it's correct.

That's just a wee bit arrogant for me.

I agree with Rooster. Our PLC has picked two MB's to work on during the year, usually one required and one "fun" one per year. The scouts still have to call the counselor, set up an appointment, and finish all the requirements on their own after the 2 or 3 classes we hold during meetings.

I can't see where this is hurting our program in any way.

I'm not sure were to start Rooster or why you want to make me the center of this. I was answering kwc57's question concerning the purpose of troop meetings. I gave him a number of BSA resources that describe the program elements and methods, and explained why the troop meeting is not the place for merit badge classes except in a few well described instances.

Returning to your first post you said "For the several week period that a badge is being offered,"

In the next post that became "An occasional merit badge session on the side,"

How much time do you actually take?

"With a hundred or so merit badges to choose from, I doubt that any Scout will miss out on this opportunity." But a scout doesn't do a hundred MBs. Most do fewer than 10. If a troop is doing 2 or more a year at troop meetings and the scout is going to summer camp he may never actually have a chance to use and develop the communication and social skills that the MB program is to be instilling.

"As for learning from an expert, the Scout should be learning most of the material on his own. The expert (merit badge counselor) is there to verify his work more than anything else." Sorry Rooster but that's just incorrect. You need to revisit the advancement materials on merit badges. The role of the counselor is to teach and test. They are not there to just test, and never have been.

No not every piece of advice is gospel. Some is just advice. But some are the elements that make scouting, scouting. The advancement program, and that is what we are discussing here, is one of the most strongly structured areas of scouting. It is one of the 8 methods that makes the Scouting program what it is.

When you change those elements that have been developed over 90 years by hundreds if not thousands of volunteers, and replace it with what YOU think is better. That to me is the height of arrogance.

I'm not suggesting dak68 do it my way. I suggested (as did all the other posters except for you!) to do it the BSA way. He now knows the BSA resources that explain the advancement program. I will leave it to dak68 to determine who knows the BSA program better. You or the BSA.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Bob, you may well know the program better than me. In fact, you probably know it better than Baden-Powell. I never said you didn't...But I don't think daks68 was asking, "Who knows BSA better?" Yet, that's a little difficult to tell given your response.

As for my advice, I stand by my first response. daks68, you're not ruining the program. Many troops practice this. It's matter of moderation and some common sense. By the way, just for clarification, I'm not alone in my opinion, despite Bob White's claim.(This message has been edited by Rooster7)