Can the Pack Committee remove a cubmaster?

Is there any reference you could point to that explains this? Our committee is on the cusp of having to dismiss the cubmaster or ask for his removal. It would be more efficient to simply remove by majority vote. We could vote, I assume, to request the COR do the removing. Yes?

I can't find the official regs on the BSA site, but using MeritBadge.org gives me this info:

Pack Committee Responsibility: "Recruit the Cubmaster and one or more assistant Cubmasters, with the chartered organization's approval."

Pack Committee Chair: "If the Cubmaster is unable to serve, assume active direction of the pack until a successor is recruited and registered."

Chartered Org Representative: "Help select the right leadership for the unit."

Ultimately, I believe the final decision would rest with the Chartered Org. If you don't want to get the CO involved, I would absolutely consider "removal of an inappropriate leader" to fall under the recruitment/selection process. Could also declare that the current Cubmaster is "unable to serve" for whatever reasons, and have the Committee Chair step in.

HOWEVER --

I'd also suggest that there would probably need to be some discussions with the CM before s/he was "fired". I'd say you owe it to them to at least have a semi-private discussion with COR, CC, and CM to work through whatever issues you're having. This is probably a good first step for any conflict in the leadership (barring clearly illegal or otherwise inappropriate action by the leader, of course).

This information is Commissioner Fieldbook for Unit Service, http://scouting.org/filestore/pdf/33621.pdf Chapter 09How to Remove a Volunteer

The chapter discusses what else can be done besides "firing" the volunteer, but when all else fails it states:

"Who has the authority to remove a volunteer? A good rule of thumb is this: The person or group with the authority to appoint a volunteer has the authority to remove and replace that volunteer....

In the case of unit Scouters, commissioners must remember that it is the chartered organization that has made the appointment. The commissioner role is to help the head of the chartered organization or the unit committee to make the change"

It perplexes me why this states "or unit committees" because unit committees do not have the"authority to appoint a volunteer". At the unit level that is the committee chair, and the COR. The committee can recommend such action, but cannot act on it.

1st order of business is discussion of the situation between the unit's key 3, CC, COR and CM. Agree to disagree, or come to a consensus, but no backstabbing, UC maybe should be present as an advisor.

Then you have to recruit a new cubmaster. the only way to have to current cubmaster off your roster as cubmaster is to find a replacement. Council won't let the position be blank, and they won't put CC officially in that position. So get an Asst CM to fill out CM application or recruit a new person for the job.

Note, CM will then move to ACM on your roster unless you make official request for him to be removed from your roster which can be a big headache to get that done.

I think Click23s link to the Commissioner's Fieldbook on removing a volunteer is an excellent one.

There is no doubt that a Chartered Organization Rep can write a letter to their DE a request that a volunteer be removed from their position and that action will be taken. You don't have to find a replacement first.

But finding ways to avoid or minimize conflict or hurt feelings is certainly the way to go, and the Commissioner's Handbook reference provides good counseling to achieve that end.

I'm currently Chartered Organization Rep and Pack Committee Member. Our Chartered Organization is a Catholic parish, and on Scout Sunday our pack and Scouting received recognition during Mass. After the service, I spoke with a woman who had been a Den Mother when her son was in the parish pack --- he's 43 years old now.

She was interested in working with the pack again, and as a long time and respected parish member, we offered her the Chartered Organization Representative position, which she accepted.

I have her adult application and YPT certification to turn in at our District Committee Meeting tonight. So my days of having the power to FIRE unit volunteers are numbered!

Personally I consider this a miracle, with God providing us with a very valuable new leader for the pack. One of the benefits of respecting Scout Sunday.

The COR has to do it.

He is the Rep for the CO, You know...COR :)

The committee looks for and suggests to the COR who they would like to be unit leaders/committee, but they can not approve them or appoint them.

Basically is like this:

"Hey Bob ( COR) , ole' Jimmy here is a mighty fine adult who is really good with the boys and he would be a great asset to the unit. WE'd like t him to be our "X" ."

Then they pass Billy's application to the COR who goes over it and checks the info and references. He feels good about it, he passes the application to the scout office. ( maybe your CO requires that the IH approve too? )

OR

"Hey Bob, Billy here is just sucking the life out of our program, Nobody likes him, he is causing scouts to skip meetings , and parents have no confidence in him nor do they trust him. Also, he cannot work with or get along with anybody on the committee."

But the CC cannot hire/fire anybody unless your COR and/or CO specifically gives him that power. And even then, they have to go through the motions as stated above.