Vipers!! (update on my sitch)

Oh, sure. We've always had permission to use it, and the SM knew about it, because I confirmed when the Troop was in there, so the Webs wouldn't bother them. But evidently, the CO is going to cut the Troop's support by some this upcoming fiscal year (and ours -- times are tough for everyone), so he's asked us to pitch in.

To the Trustee Chair, she implied that he had no idea how to run an event, and to the CORep, she implied that he had no idea how to work with children.

The pastor commissioned me as a member of the church to present God & Me starting this past Monday, and invite any Scouting families to attend. EVERY Tiger, Wolf, and Bear Cub was there, for which I am very grateful, and very relieved.

They still support me and the Wolf DL. Two of the moms came to talk to the DL and I afterward (the two kids with the Award snafus), and asked if we thought they'd been unreasonable on Sat. We told them they hadn't been (they hadn't).

Each lady expressed what we've been afraid of all along -- that the CC and the Adv gal's ~attitudes~ were turning people off. We did our best to reassure them that changes were in the works.

We just have to figure out how to regroup!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose we're past discussing stuff like the fact that the Cubmaster should be running the B&G program, not the CC, huh?

I also think you missed a couple great opportunities here: "You know, you understand this schedule thing so much better than I do and you present yourself so eloquently, I think you ought to talk to Mr. Trustee Chairman directly. Here, let me get him on the phone for you."

Anyway.... So what's the frigging hold up? Waiting on a replacement? Isn't that what got you into this mess in the first place?

Our Commissioner stressed that we needed to have SOMEONE'S name to put down for the CC before we let 3 Committee members go. (Well, 2 members, but the 3rd won't hang around without the other 2).

I have made my suggestions as to who it "should" be, but that's up to the CORep and the pastor. My first choice is the SM, but he's reluctant to try to wear both "hats".

The other choices are the youth pastor at the church, or the children's minister. Heck, I'd take the music director; who cares? Just put SOMEBODY'S name down!

I'm still waiting for word back from the pastor & CORep on what they're going to do (and when!).

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I'm glad I wasn't at that meeting. The resultant email I got from Herself was mighty ugly. How the Pack will fold because of this, etc... I guess that was to be expected. Although I think if it had been me, I would have just maintained radio silence, myself.

I answered as kindly and diplomatically as I could, citing a "difference of perspective..." I got back a really snarky, "You just keep repeating those words". I asked the pastor to be as kind about it as possible, because I know it had to come as a blow.

The good news is that she's already been working getting another Pack started, so she has that to occupy her. She is angry, though, of course. Rejection sucks.

I tried to offer a can-we-agree-to-disagree kind of truce, but she's having none of it. Trying to reason with her is like trying to drink from a firehose~ you just get blasted into the street. I hope she finds folks who like to be managed.

Now...moving on.

TwoCubDad:

To answer your question, yes. It comes down to one person wanting the attention of the Cubmaster, but with the control of the Chair.

There's a reason the same person isn't supposed to wear both hats. We were all supposed to let this gal do whatever she wanted, because of that "Chair" title, but if any of us pushed back and said, "Um... how about we do such-and-such?", we were quickly squelched.

Because I pushed back, I was labeled "insubordinate". "But ... but ... that's my job."

"Well, then THIS is how it will be done." And by golly, you'd better do exactly as she said, or she'd call you OUT, right there and then. "That is NOT how you were instructed to do that!"

I know it sounds surreal. It was. I read the account I've given myself, and think, "Jeez." But like Dave Barry says, I swear I am not making this up!

Edit: I forgot to mention that what she seems most upset about is that I "went over her head". But ... isn't my going to the CORep with my concerns *exactly* what I'm supposed to do?

And isn't holding a Committee meeting ABOUT me going "behind my back" to the exact same degree?

(This message has been edited by annlaurelb)

She IS taking her 2 Webelos, who are the sons of the 2 moms who did her bidding. They'll all be happier together; and it's out of this county, so it's unlikely that most of these kids would go over there.

In her email, she stated that she didn't think the Tiger mom would let her boy stay, but he's in the middle of God & Me at the CO church. She'd have to pull him out of that, and I'm not sure she'll do it. Her son plays in the same basketball league as my son, and we're quite friendly.

I hope people won't be too quick to take up this gal's offense; she's so sure that everyone's going to walk away without her in charge. We'll keep our Bears and Wolves for sure, since they're lead by myself and the mom who went to bat for me.

The 4 moms, 3 dads, 2 grandmas, and 1 grandpa have all been very supportive all along. They see us interact with their kids every week. It's only the moms whom I didn't get to see but once a month that the CC gal poisoned against everyone who didn't do exactly as she said.

We're going to be fine. We may stay small, but I'm okay with that.

Rejection sucks.

No, holding on to what is not rightfully yours, stinks. If you come in to jump-start a program, then you jump off as quickly as possible. All of us (you too, ALB) should be in the business of finding our replacement and fading in to the background. The nation wasn't cultivated by Johnny's dumping all of their apple seeds in one massive mound!

Finding out that a unit is not your little fiefdom is a healthy discovery.

Yep! I know that our job is to work ourselves OUT of a job! I've got my eye on grooming a Wolf dad to be my ACM next season, then maybe we'll swap roles my son's Web2 1/2 year, then bring another ACM behind me, etc...

I am in love with the word, "fiefdom". :0)

Hallelujah, amen. Yes, I believe you might be right about that. The sad thing about NPD is that by it's very nature, it's nearly impossible to get an NPD person to understand that THEY are the ones who need adjustment.

No. No, if you think *I* need adjustment, you are clearly the enemy. It's the whole world that needs adjusting, not me. I think that's a reasonable diagnosis. I hope she finds some peace about this.

I'm not going to go into details, but the Council COUNSEL (read: Lawyer) has filed a cease and desist on a certain someone, with the promise of prosecution for defamation of character (of myself and our Pack) if the c&d isn't obeyed.

I told the UC that wasn't necessary as far as *I* was concerned, but he said at this point, "It's a matter of principle."

Someone's going to have their Cert yanked for lying. O.o

AnnLaurelB, I've enjoyed (is that the right word) reading your trials and tribulations over the past several months. I'm glad it has worked out!

One thing you can be glad of, and that is that your CC and COR were not one and the same. I had dealt with that unfortunate dual-role command-and-controller for several years until the leaders basically banded together to "mutiny," and she left "voluntarily."