bunking arrangements

If you draw names for tent mates,

then really mess things up and draw names for buddies for the day.

I know it's easier for tent mates and buddies to be the same, but if the kids is "too much" it may be best to have him tent with one kid and hang for the weekend with a different kid.

We also assign duty roster duties differently than buddies, so you always have to work with someone that you don't hang out with, which would be another way to mix up the boys.

and have different kids ride in the vehicle with him on the way to and from camp.

all may be able to handle the kid that is "too much" if they dont have to deal with him all weekend long one on one.

dennis99ss,

While I applaud your trying to get this WEBELOS scout involved, there are a few things I think need to be pointed out:

1. It is a WEBELOS DEN, not a Boy Scout Patrol.

2. Who is the responsible adult for the boy during the outing? Cubs and WEBELOS still require that if I am not mistaken.

3. How many boys per adult are you taking?

The Cub Scout program is different from the Boy Scout program. Boys are NOT allowed to camp as "Dens" where BS can camp as Patrols. Cub Scout program requires adult participation "per boy" where BS requires 2 adults if not just a "Patrol" outing.

Just my $0.02 and I hope it helps.

Respectfully,

Rick

While I lie to see Webelos set up their own tents EVERY time they camp, and I like to see them fix/ help fix meals, as well as "hopefully" get to the point they do not want to sleep with a parent or anybody else for that matter...there are always special circumstances that require special details.

For instance, the "acyive" scout may just have to sleep by himself. Or if he has to have a buddy, dad will have to do.

Now, it's a tough situation that is not gonna have a perfect "by the book" solution.

We are in the midst of trying to make the boys more independant and more self sustaining on themselves. We want them to understand that they have to live with the consequences og their actions.

Scouting is all about respecting others. Yet, we are willing to make sure somebody get their feeling hurt and also not having to live with the consequences of their actions.

Kinda like making your son play with the neighborhood bully so the bully doesn't feel lonely.

Sorry, I am not saying kick the boy out or throw rocks at him, just that if he is a second year Webelos who is about to cross over very soon, then he better have one heck of an eye opener before he joins a troop.

If he has run everybody off and nobody can stand his temperment or how he acts..then he really needs to get a dose or reality.

Besides, you might insist on having somebody buddy with him, but two things are certain:

away from scouts, everybody stil avoids him, and the boy who has the buddy duty now just lost alot of enthusiasm for scouting.

Not sure about you guys, but where I am from, it's called life.

You treat people like jerks..they avoid you.

You get into people's faces too much, they avoid you.

You lie to them, use them, etc..they avoid you.

If you are too trung out, too hyper , or can't keep your cool...they avoid you.

Eventually, you figure it out or you just keep being avoided.

If it is a medical gland/thyroid type thing...

..well, it may not be his fault, but it's not the fault of the other scouts either!

Scoutfish, perhaps that is the ratio in your council, but it is not a National ratio for all Webelos den camping.

BSA actually recommends that Webelos camp with a parent. Different councils have different ratios for Webelos council camping.

Yeah, our council/district uses the 4:1 most of the time...special circunstanced not withstanding.

But I was only stating a minimum. BSA does throw out the words: "should" , "suggested" , "recommended", but does not say it has to be. They do state that every boy has to have responcible adult supervision. Can be a designated friend or other family member , or guardian.

Of course, we know that "responcible" just might disqualify some parents! :)

I'm just sating the minimum, not the maximum or even the most sought after ideal.

Mostly, I was just countering the statement that:

Boy Scouts were not the only ones who can camp.

The parent is not the only person who can be responcible, and

Webelos can indeed camp on the den level and call themselves patrols, although they are still considered a den.

But apparently my math is bad since I said 3:1 = 4 scouts to 1 adult! Meant to type 4:1 :)

Scout fish my brother, I am already excited to read your future post on this forum after you have a few years experience working with our sons because you will have great suggestions based from experience, I'm sure of it.

While I like to use the phrase that "scouting is the real world scaled down to a boys size." I am also a firm believer that we have power in the BSA mission:"The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law."

A little something from a scouter with many scars of doing it wrong, when confronted with a challenging scout, dont write them off. Ask for help from someone with experience and maybe become a hero to the scout and his parents. You have the power to make a difference in our sons life.

Barry

When I first read the original post I was afraid of the many implications of the word "active". 5th Grade is about the early point for some of the boys to start doing something that may be a nuisance to and embarrassing to their tent-mate. It's a subject that some Boy Scout patrols end up having to discuss, but I suppose it could start back as a Web.

Could certainly make these kids not want to share a tent with the boy, and it may actually be happening but the boys in the den are too embarrassed to talk about it, preferring just to beg not to be in the same tent as him so they can fall asleep and not be petrified in terror/embarrassment pretending to sleep.

Scoutfish,

I appologize that my meaning was missunderstood. Cub Scouts can NOT go on Den Campouts without adults whereas Boy Scouts can go on approved Patrol outings without adult supervision.

I did not mean to imply that WEBELOS dens could not go camping with or without the rest of the Pack.

Respectfully,

Rick

Thanks for all the messages. BS-87-sorry the description was a bit vague in the op. That is not an issue I am aware of, thankfully.

But, to all, thank you for the reply. We had a great outing. Scout did great. Probably his best campout he has had. Others helped him, and he helped others. I could over analyze why he did so good w/o dad, but that may be some of it.

We opted the volunteer route. Our den chief stayed by himself, and we only had 4 boys this trip, with 3 adults the first night and two the second. The 4 paired up, 2 and 2, (which turned into a tent of 3) but, when we arrived at the campout, one of our 4 had an immediate change of health, sore throat, nauseaus, etc. ended up lying down in the back of the truck curled up on a pillow while the rest unloaded. I let him lay down for about an hour while everything was packed in and then had a decision to make. he had a pretty good fever just shy of 102, and given that it was a damp 40 degrees, I decided to run him back home. (one of my sons so no ypt probs there) Crawled into the den chief's tent(another son) around 4am, and woke to the sounds of clanging pots to start cooking a bit before 7. The sick scout incident though caused another scenario question, that I have posted in a new thread.

All in all, a great outing. A little cool, a little wet, and no issues.

But, again, thanks for the suggestions. It is always good to hear options.