Help for a new Trading Post Manager?

I have worked on several camp staffs, but never as a Trading Post Manager. The camp where I work is in Virginia and on one of the largest Scout Reservations in the US. At the time of this posting, I know of at least one week where there are approximately 850 base-camp campers. This does not include those in high adventure camps!

Any tips, hints, advice, or just ways to survive the summer would be truly appreciated!

Root beer floats? At Slippery Falls in Oklahoma they serve Slushies. One is green and referred to as the "square pond" slushie. Why you might ask? The sewage retention pond is square and a lovely shade of green.

Sorry to highjack the thread. We now return you to the regularly scheduled program already in progress.

Oh, yes - Powhatan is the place to be! And the Root Beer floats are our speciality. I think between those and the Fun Dip (lovingly referred to by some of the staff as "kiddie crack"), that's what keeps us in business! lol Thanks for the kind words about our Trading Post. I only hope I can uphold that reputation this summer...

P.S. I looooooove Choco Tacos! Maybe I can convince my Reservation TP Mgr to add them to our menu!

Powhatan has one of the biggest trading posts ive seen.

Advice from what I've seen, DO NOT LET STAFF MEMBERS GET USED TO LOUNGING AROUNG IN THE TRADING POST CAUSE THEYLL GET USED TO IT REALLY FAST, BLOCKING THE WAY FOR EVERYONE ELSE. But then again your tading post is HUGE, so I don't think space is a problem. Common sense wise, the first evening and parent's night will be the busiest...BE PREPARED

• 3 weeks later...

I never thought I would talk business but here it goes. Chances are boys will have about $20 in their pocket for the week. They want to go home with "something" I've walked into to many trading post where $20 is the first price point that gets you something neat. Have something with the camp name and symbol for about $3. Like a patch. Have inexpensive silk screen t-shirts in the $10 range. In doing this the boys will have something to take back and enough left over for soda and candy. Trading posts with a margin over 5-10% are only cheating themselves over lost opportunity. Boys will bring home $10 before spending it on something expensive.

• 2 years later...

Just thought i'd revive this and pose the question What do you believe are necessities to have in a trading post? Or what are items that many would not even think of stocking, but turn out to be a big hit/very useful? Let's hear about everyone's stock, food and nonfood items alike.

Crazy_TP_Lady, welcome to the forums, and thanx for reviving this thread.

I think the "necessities" depends on the audience. Adults will have a different take than boys. As an adult, the souvenirs I look for are a t-shirt or affordable golf-shirt and hat, with the camp name / logo on it.

I'm not big into patches, but I know some folks are, so a varied selection of patches & pins would be nice. Some folks like leather belts & brass buckles with the camp name / logo. Walking staff medallions seem to be popular with those who collect such things.

I know the boys like ice-cream, gummy bears, etc. I'm not up on the latest snacks, but offering a few treats to supplement the dining hall fare is always popular (I have mixed-feelings about sodas, but I know the boys like them).

Offering a few emergency provisions to replace forgotten items (instant cameras, shaving cream, razor, toothbrush & toothpaste, moleskin, etc.) is helpful, if not otherwise available from the health lodge.

• 1 month later...

I wish i knew about this thread/site last year as i was the trading post manager for the local council camp (camp samwood and camp dittmer up in Iroquois Trail NY).

My advice is this:

-Don't let the TP become the staff lounge. Too much clutter, too much noise

-Make friends with the head cook (or whoever is in charge of ordering food and other such things. It made re-ordering candy bars and icecream and whatever else you're ordering food-wise MUCH easier).

-the Staff will LOVE you if you run tabs for them (We have a very small staff of maybe 30 total so this was simple for me, a dollar store notebook with a page for each staffer was all i needed. Tabs were to be paid on payday. Might not have exactly been by the books, but it kept the staff happy)

-The customer is always right (just like any kind of business)

-Never let anyone behind the register/counter but you/your staff (i was the only one running the whole store, but sometimes i needed a bathroom break or something simple like that. I'd step out for 5 minutes or so, and anything i had under the counter like my ipod or a knife i was sharpening was all in disary. Maybe its just me but I like my stuff left alone)

-You'll be the king (or queen) of gossip for the camp. Parents will complain to you, kids will complain to you, you'll hear all the bad, and all the good. Pass on what you feel you should.

thats all i have for now. GOOD LUCK!

"Offering a few emergency provisions to replace forgotten items (instant cameras, shaving cream, razor, toothbrush & toothpaste, moleskin, etc.) is helpful, if not otherwise available from the health lodge."

You mean for the adults, right? if I had a scout come running up to me on Sunday all excited because he forgot his toothbrush the camp better have an A.E.D. on hand because I would be needing it

"Offering a few emergency provisions to replace forgotten items (instant cameras, shaving cream, razor, toothbrush & toothpaste, moleskin, etc.) is helpful, if not otherwise available from the health lodge."

You mean for the adults, right? if I had a scout come running up to me on Sunday all excited because he forgot his toothbrush the camp better have an A.E.D. on hand because I would be needing it