Imagine if you were a scout (or you are a scout), or hey even a scouter who caught wind of a trip the PLC was throwing to the coolest destination you could imagine. Where would that be? To make it a fair though, it can't be a place you've already been to already, and it has to be a high adventure type destination...the KOA at the Daytona 500 is out :)

My own would be 3-4 days at Grand Teton National Park. There has just always been something about the pictures of the mountains spiking up over the lakes there that have just drawn me.

If anybody in my crew other than me was SCUBA certified this would be my Quartermaster cruise.

We would take a boat down to Monterey, and go SCUBA diving amongst the kelp forests for a couple days. Then cruise home. That would be a blast because so few of my crew ever get an opportunity to do any cruising outside the bay.

Another dream cruise would be racing in the Transpac. That is a race to Hawaii.(This message has been edited by sailingpj)

The kelp forests sound cool. My grandfather had a large abalone shell that he picked up in California, it was one of the nicest things he ever had. So how long does TRANSPAC last. How many knots does a sailboat do? 15 knots?

it can't be a place you've already been to already, and it has to be a high adventure type destination

Why so restrictive? and why does it have to be HA?

I've been to alot of places that I would love to go back to and spend more time at. Yosemite was amazing, Yellowstone is beautiful, The Grand Canyon is awe inspiring. Florida Keys, Niagra Falls. Mt. Ranier, San Francisco, Rocky mountains, Philmont, The Black Hills of S.Dakota,Hawaii, just to name a few of the places I've been. The only one that was Scout related was Philmont . Everything else with the exception of Hawaii, was just getting in the car and driving till we decided to stop.

The best trip I've ever taken as a Scout or Scouter was our trip to Valley Forge in February. The highlight for me was not sleeping in the cold weather, but standing in Independence Hall and seeing where the Declaration of Independance was signed by men who chose to not live under the Throne. The boys that went on that trip have said it was one of their favorite trips outside of the Triple Crown stuff.

If I had to pick something, I guess Gettysburg is my next major trip I need to make, or the Appalachian Trail.But I would also be content to go back to Washington D.C. to spend more time at the Smithsonian. It doesn't have to be HA all the time. 

It depends on what fleet you are sailing in. They have single handed fleets, and fleets for the different sized boats that enter. Some of them finish in 10-13 days, others finish 15- 20+ days.

The speed varies depending on the boat. Some boats go 5-8 knots, others go 10+, and some of the multihulls go 18+.

Disney did a pretty good movie about it called Morning Light. I believe they left from SoCal, but there are fleets that leave from San Francisco.

Own- Well...I set the limit for HA because it's the Camping&High Adventure section of the forum. The AT goes very close to Gettysburg though :) And I also would like to go to Valley Forge one day.

sailing - I'll check out Morning Light. Do Sea Scouts participate in many races?

Ok...coolest dream trip? This is a dream, because no group could put the time together. The Pacific Crest Trail or maybe the Contenental Divide trail from one end to the other.

Now...a realistic dream trip.... a week backpacking in Denali National Park with a stop off on the way there in Juno to Kayak.

Individual ships do whatever they want. I know a couple that only do racing, and some that race occasionally, and many that never race. My ship doesn't race because we have a power boat, but I do race. Actually I will be competing in a big Sea Scout sailing regatta this summer.

212- I love this part: "Planning a backcountry trip in Denali is unlike most other national parks. Denali is about the size of Vermont, with only a handful of trails..." That is some serious get lost area up there.

(1) Go to Seabase for 1 week training.

(2) Sail a schooner to Costa Rica. Tow a target. Boys get to handle firearms to repel borders.

(3) Backpack across Costa Rica to Pacific Coast.

(4) Adults and older Scouts fly to Rio for a little R&R. Younger guys and new adults practice FCFY work their way back home on a freighter.

(5) After losing a few scouts to the older boys when they are introduced to Brazilian girls by the Brazilian Boy Scouts we return home after a second rest stop in South Beach.

(6) The survivors meet up in Tampa where the newbies show off their knots and the older boys their tattoos.

Brentallen went to MOAB, Montaina Adventure Base and I think that is really an outstanding trip.....

It is something you could pitch to the PLC...

Gettysburg was cool, been their done that.....

Valleyforge was pretty lame, not much to see or do, been their done that....

Far as the AT goes, Pick your Trek, it has from mild, Shenandoah national Park, to wild, the White mountains and Mt. Washington. I have a pretty decent sampling of the trail, and there is some places/terrain where it is not suitable to a Patrol size group of 13 or 14 year olds. And sure as heck don't take the entire troop.......

Plus some of these trips are not suitable to a Troop style outing.....I would not take a troop of 20 or 30 into Denali or the AT......Serious breach of Backcountry etiquette, Plus it may be against the land managers rules.

I find it interesting your not permitting the PLC to decide they would want to go to the Daytona 500 or Disney or a City or Urban exploration??????? To some country scouts a week in Chicago, Seattle, LA, New York or Philli would be one heck of an adventure.

The important thing to remember is we need to support their interests and decisions.

1. I have a friend who coordinated backpacking medical supplies into isolated Central American Villages. That would definitely fit in with some of my Venturer's ideals.

2. The HS Latin club does trips to Italy/Switzerland/Greece every couple of years. The usual bus tour stuff. For our Venturers, I'd love to fly out and meet them at the end of the tour and extend their stay by hiking in the Alps for a week.

Thanks to college tuition and cost overruns on our last adventure, both of those are out of reach for me (for this year at least).