So, some of you might know, but I will be backpacking and doing a lot of hiking starting in August. I hike all the time but the idea of backpacking scares me to death so Ive been trying to get in condition for itwhatever that may be. I thought someone might have some exercising tips? So far Ive been doing palates mostly concentrating on my core especially my back muscles (my chiropractor told me to do this for my back problems). I do these exercises three days a week as well as lunges with weights. Two days a week Ive been riding my bike for about 30 min. followed by leg exercises. Also, cause I am working at a camp I am constantly running everywhere chasing kids, animals, running from bees etc. I also have been doing a lot of lifting too. Oh and on weekends I hit the gymmostly do racket ball Ive tried one of the leg machines but it irritates my bad knee. Anyways, sound good? Do I need to be doing anything else?

Strength training is as important as aerobic workouts. Hiking will tax your legs, back and shoulders. Getting ready for Philmont I did 100 reps a day on the leg press machine, decreasing my weight every 20 reps. Then I did the leg extensions and leg curls. I too have a bad knee but I found as my muscle tone developed my leg was better able to support the bum knee. I also did abdominal curls, arm raises for the deltoids and bench press.

Of course, before I did all of that I hit the stair machine for 20 minutes and then did 20 on the treadmill.

Hmmm, yeah, I will have to check into some of those things...

I had started running several months back...figured it was a good way as any to get into shape. Running on roads and such really killed my knees and ankels so I was told to run on grass like a soccor field. This worked for a while, but eventually it too started murdering my knees to the point where while walking my bad knee kept trying to pop out of the socket or would suddenly give out. So, I gave up running, I was told to get a knee brace for hiking backpacking and such...haven't gotten around to it yet but really hiking doesn't bother it.

The best way to get into shape for an activity is to do that activity. We had one boy very determined to get into shape for Philmont. He put rocks in his backpack starting small and working up in weight and go on short hikes or just walks around the neighborhood. his worked very well for him. He was in great shape for Philmont.

I have had a bad back since I was a young teen. Usually I get at least some moderate back pain on a hike. Suprisingly I have discovered that carrying a pack of moderate weight has actually impoved my back issues. The pack tends to force you into a better posture during the hike. You may be pleasantly suprised.

I agree with FireKat. The best exercise for backpacking is backpacking, so do as much as possible under realistic conditions, eventually, with a full pack. If you can't do that, I believe the next best exercise is hiking up and down sets of stairs. It's pretty boring, but it worked for me.

Nearby, we have an earthen dam along the river with 2 sets of stairs consisting of about 100 steps each. In preparation for Philmont, each day I would walk down to the river and walk up and down those steps until I couldn't continue. In the beginning, I couldn't do very many reps, but after a while I was able to do quite a few. When my leg and back strength improved, I donned a full backpack and continued my routine. By the time I got to Philmont, I was able to hike up and down Mt. Phillips, Urraca Mesa, ald elsewhere without too much trouble--and this was only 6 months after having undergone a quadruple coronary artery bypass. BTW, don't forget to carry plenty of water, especially if you will be backpacking in Georgia in August!

I too agree with Firekat. And the stuff GW said will help.

Start out slow.

Get your knees and ankles worked out. You simply can't hump a pack with bad mechanics under you. Doc says knee brace ...get one.

Get a pack that fits you. start with small weights and increase over time like folks said. Huge flights of stairs are great as are hills.

Look at your footwear. When you are getting your knee looked at ask if there are any insoles that Docs thinks you should use to damper the shock on your feet.

I can't spell or pronounce pilates so I have no comment. Do leg lifts and stomach excercises to strengthen your core. Strong belly also helps the back.

Most of all get a friend that has experience living out of a pack. some of the questions you write make me fear for your safety. Team up with a buddy that knows what he is doing.

Make the first 10 trips close to home and learn from your mistakes.

It can relly be a lot of fun if you are ready...it can really be torture of you are not.

Sounds to me like you are already doing a pretty good job getting ready. Since you have knee problems, I would suggest you look at hiking poles to go along with your knee brace. Hiking poles look very much like ski poles and are used about the same way. They are made of light weight material so they dont add a lot of weight to your load. Dont worry that you will look nerdy, there are usually a few hikers using them in most groups at Philmont. When used correctly, hiking poles can take as much as 80% of the stress off your knees, especially hiking up and down inclines. Im told by my friends who have bad knees that going down hill is murder and that the hiking poles make a night and day difference as far as taking impact pressure off the knees.

Do some research to make sure you learn the best technique for using hiking poles. Wear the knee brace and boots with good ankle support. Do a few miles at home with all this gear including a backpack until you get used to it. Philmont isnt really that strenuous as mountain hiking goes. Usually the altitude is the main problem. The best way to prepare for that is aerobic exercise. If you cant run, use the cross trainers. But even for the most fit, some times it is the mental toughness that struggles the most.

Have a wonderful trip.

Barry

You got to pound the feet. Ain't no exercise in the gym that's gonna do that. Get out with your boots and start hiking. Gradually add weight and length to the hike. Then some altitude gain. Your feet will gradually get tougher, the skin like leather. Your entire body will adjust and get stronger. Before you know it, doing 10 miles with a 50lbs pack will feel like another walk in the park.

As others have stated, if the doctor said to get a knee brace, then GET A KNEE BRACE!

Do you have a membership to a fitness center? If so, try riding the bike or getting on an elliptical. The elliptical is much like walking, except it takes pressure off the knees and ankles.

Leg press, leg curls, leg extensions, lat pulldowns, cardio, amdominal curls, back extensions... do some "heavy" sets with fewer reps to build muscle strength; do some "light" sets with many reps to build muscle endurance.

Get out and HIKE with a pack.. truly is the best way.

GW, while your statement does hold water, there is so much more needed to be a good football player. They have to be strong, quick, agile, all things that can be improved in the weight room. Problem is: if all they do is lift weights, then they won't become a better football player.

Just adding to list of good suggestions:

1. Buy hiking poles. Do not pass go until this item is completed.

If you have any sort of knee problem, you will be amazed at how helpful a pair of hiking poles will be. These are differnt than a single hiking stick - think of adjustable ski poles. I can write paragraphs about how much more comfortable it is to go downhill now while using them. You won't be the only one on the trail using them.

2. Strengthen the knee

a.) Several years ago I read about a study involving Marines, hiking, and knee problems. (Possibly in Muscular Development Magazine? Since this isn't wikipedia or a mid-term, I'm not going to worry too much about citation!) Study basically showed that Marines who incorporated squats into their training regimen (which as you could imagine already included plenty of hiking) reduced future knee injuries. Squats are one of those "all over" exercises that target a whole range of muscles - particulary the ones around the knee. If you're the least bit unsure how to perform a proper one, be sure to ask a trainer (key is not to force your knees out past your toes). I don't think you need to be squatting 200+ lbs to start seeing benefits. Even an "empty" bar will weigh 45 lbs and give you a workout with increased reps.

b.) The other big knee strengthener is biking. Since I see you're already doing that, I'll just say keep up the good work, and be sure to find a hill or two to ride up.

3. Rest!

Make sure you incorporate at least 2 days where you let your body recover. Last thing you want to do is wear yourself out and incurring stress induced injuries (shin splints, etc.)before you even get to the main event.

4. Lastly - when you hike around town - wear the boots you'll be wearing on the trail - break them in, and be sure you know they'll fit the same walking through the park as when you have a 40-50lb pack on.

Enjoy your fitness level while it lasts - in 10 years you'll be saying "man, I wish I could get in shape like I was in college!"

Gags

First getting in a good overall strength workout is a great plan - it will help with overall fitness, don't forget the aerobics.

Specificity is the part of the exercise plan that doing a lot of walking/hiking is geared toward - there isn't a better exercise to do than the one you are training for than doing that exercise.

Everyone else has given good info - listen to them.

Now as a retired Marine with interesting sounds issuing forth from both knees and a replaced ACL with autograft. If you are already having knee issues (earplugs please) GET THE DOCTOR RECCOMENDED KNEE SUPPORTS! (you may now remove earplugs :) ) You may even want to see your local sports medicine rehabilitation office and get a recommendation on the best brace for your situation and/or get specific exercise recommendations from them to condition the supporting muscles, ligaments and tendons. Sometimes a properly done rehab program can eliminate the symptoms by putting the strain on the correct loading paths for the knee structure. And save you a lot of pain later.

I also highly endorse hiking poles, or even just a stick - they make a world of difference for me especially when totin' the pack. BSA scout store has a decent set for $20.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=CAMPING&c3=CAMPEQUIP&c4=&lv=3&item=24028 I've been using them and they haven't failed me yet, other famous maker sets go for a lot more but these have been excellent so far.