pin versus patch question

On uniform inspection sheet, it says:

Badges of rank are worn centered on the pocket above the Arrow of Light award, as shown"

Okay, here's my question: Do they wear the AoL pin as my COR says is the case, or do they wear the AoL patch, which is the same size and seems to make alot more sense to me?

Both are the same size.

In the Cub Scout Webelos handbook, it just says that it is the only cub scout badge that can be worn on a boy scout uniform. the phrasing of the word Badge leads me to think they are talking about the patch versus the pin.

I haven't found where it is specifically listed anywhere.

Either way is acceptable.

Originally, BS ranks were pins, they are still available, and some units use the pins instead of badges. VERY INTERESTING situation arose when national stated that all Scouts could wear the FC Rank pin on the expedition and campaign hats as teh FC rank pin IS advancement and IS restricted. You need an advancement report to get one. At least when I worked for supply.

Anyway, since the AOL can be worn with the BS rank, a pin was made for those units that still use the pins.

Both are worn in the same position, and it doesn't matter which one to use.

Just don't use the gold mother's pin for the rank ;)

I believe a Scout may wear either the patch or the pin, their preference. It makes more sense to wear the patch though - pins get lost when Scouts wear their uniforms while being an active Boy Scout.

Here's my take on the pins and patches though, which might help you explain why patches are more appropriate than the pins (other than the obvious).

In Cub Scouts, just as in Boy Scouts, we're all about instant recognition (though in Cub Scouts, it's usually done at a Pack Meeting rather than a Den Meeting).

The Pins are a great way to involve Mom and Dad in the ceremonial awarding of the Arrow of Light - they can be handed to a parent who then pins it on the pocket flap of their Cub Scout's uniform. For the rest of the Pack Meeting, the lad is wearing his shiny new Arrow of Light award, rather than Mom or Dad holding on to the patch until it can be sewn (if it ever is) on a uniform. Especially these days when Arrow of Light Awards are often given the same day a lad crosses over - he'd never get the opportunity to wear the highest award a Cub Scout can earn on his Cub Scout uniform!

Once the night is over, the Pin becomes a keepsake and the patch is sewed on the uniform. The patch is much less likely to be lost.

Think about it like the Eagle Scout award. We give a lad both a medal and a patch. He wears the medal the day he receives it - instant recognition. If he's under 18, he'll likely sew on the patch - and if you're wearing the Eagle Scout patch, you don't wear the medal. The medal gets worn on uniforms without the rank patch (until one is 18) and on suit/sport coats (though on special occasions, most people won't make a fuss if an adult is wearing his eagle medal on his adult uniform) but for the most part, it becomes a special keepsake rather than used for day to day wear. Now a Scout may choose to wear the medal rather than the patch the rest of his career as a Scout but most will put the patch on, especially when Mom or Dad insists that they not lose it.

Almost forgot

From the Insignia Guide

Arrow of Light Award, cloth, blue on khaki, No. 00044,Webelos Scout, below left pocket. Arrow of Light Award miniature pin, No. 00115, civilian wear. Arrow of Light Award, metal pin, No. 00463, Webelos Scout, below left pocket. Arrow of Light metal miniature pin, No. 00115, parents, civilian wear.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/InsigniaGuide/05B.aspx

"Think about it like the Eagle Scout award. We give a lad both a medal and a patch. He wears the medal the day he receives it - instant recognition. If he's under 18, he'll likely sew on the patch - and if you're wearing the Eagle Scout patch, you don't wear the medal."

This error keeps being repeated and it drives me crazy. Normally the Scouts wear the Eagle badge and Scouters wear the Eagle knot. Both may wear the Eagle medal in addition to the cloth patch on formal occasions.

The Insignia Guide states:

"Cloth badges and embroidered square knots are representative of metal pin-on awards and are designed for the convenience of the wearer. Generally, when a cloth badge is worn, the metal one is not worn."

"Eagle rank, cloth, silver, white, and blue on red, No. 00489, Boy Scout, left pocket. Adults wear square knot, No. 05011."

"Eagle Award, silver medal suspended from scroll, No. 00135; sterling silver, No. 00112; Boy Scout. Adults wear only on formal Eagle occasions."

It doesn't state never under any circumstances can you wear a medal and knot/badge at the same time. I don't think whne the regulations were written it was intended that cloth badges had to be taken off to wear the medal or that everyone had to have two shirts.

"It doesn't state never under any circumstances can you wear a medal and knot/badge at the same time. I don't think whne the regulations were written it was intended that cloth badges had to be taken off to wear the medal or that everyone had to have two shirts. "

General practice is to wear knots all the time on your uniform shirt. (frankly, I've never understood the logic of some who create these boards to hold their knots which pin them to their shirt, like military ribbons. Why bother?)

Medals are for formal occasions, which means courts of honor, awards banquets, etc. Regular meetings, camping trips, roundtables, etc, are NOT formal occasions. NO ONE has a problem with someone wearing their medals at a formal occasion while they are also wearing the knot.