Stupid uniform question...sweating like a pig in class A...

Ok, so I have the RL uniform shirt bought a few years ago, and it is the 65 poly/35 cotton shirt. For whatever reason, I sweat like a pig in this shirt. Makes it kind of tough to do signs up without looking like I have a serious case of flop sweat.

Was thinking of switching shirts...but maybe it's just me. Any recommendations?

I don't think it's the shirt.....but then I sweat in any shirt I wear. I can and have literally sweat in a snowstorm. I started wearing v-nech undershirts many, many moons ago when I got into the workforce and had to wear a suit and tie. Nothing like walking into a meeting with the big wigs and having wet spots all over your shirt. For me, it wasn't just underarms. Today, I wear an underarmour shirt under my uniform shirt because it wicks moisture and evaporates. If I'm somewhere like Jamboree where the heat and humidity are both near 100, I just expect to stay wet until the middle of the night where I get a couple of hours to dry out.

Yeah, I look like I had a wet sponge in a headlock after some time in those shirts :)

The Under Armour or similar type of shirt seem to work well, I've just accepted that I have to wear a t shirt or one of my supplex shirts under my uniform all the time. Now if I can figure out something to do about the salt ring around my ball cap!

It's not the smell, but the burning of the eyes that hurts the most!

Already got the t-shirt on...doesn't help! Seriously it's gotta be the shirt. I can wear a sweatshirt and I don't sweat like this.

I'm just wondering if switching to the Nylon would help, but I wanted to float it to the forums before spending the $ and moving a bunch of patches.

Among my 7 or 8 shirts, I have one of the nylon shirts. Unless you are at something like the aformentioned Jambo where you sweat TOO much for the short to keep up, it "should" evaporate quicker than the cotton/poly blend.

My problem is that nylon against my skin tends to feel hot and make me sweat even more. There is a joke in my troop about me wearing rain gear. When I pull it off, I look like I went swimming in my clothes. It keeps the rain off of me, but I get so hot in the darn stuff that I sweat buckets.

I would recommend a wicking layer (not cotton but a synthetic or bamboo). I went to two jamborees this summer with a wicking layer under my uniform and came out pretty well. One caution about nylon: it absorbs odor REALLY well so, if you sweat as much as you say you do, I would stick with the cotton/poly shirts for prolonged camping.

It's the polyester. It doesn't breath good enought and as a result, acts as an insulator to you..ecept when it's cold and would be welcomed. :)

I had this same issue with my poly/cotton work shirts . I'd change shirts 5 times a day because they would be so wet, youcould literaly wring out a cup and a half of water. Plus the poly will rub your skin raw when wet.

I started wearing the Under Armour heat gear/compression shirts underneath...and found out WalMart sells the same shirt in the "Starter Athletic" brand for a cheaper price( $12.00) .

I can now wear one shirt all day and it hardly gets damp at al.

The Starter shirt somehow sucks up the sweat and let's it evaporate without me being as hot or my outer shirt getting soaking wet.

I buy mine a size larger than it'seant to be though. Still fitted next to my skin, but not as tight as it was designed to be. It is a compression shirt after all.

The Light weight synthetic t-shirt are the way to go. But true they do hang on the oder. I have a few expensive t-shirts made in Sweden that have silver thread in them. No more oder. As for cleaning Sweat rings, try vinegar. Also works on leather boots. gets rid of the ring.

Like SR540Beaver and Scoutfish said, an undershirt is the cat's meow, if I can use that colloquial expression. Always wear one, never wear just the bare shirt no matter how hot it gets and you'll be just fine. The trouble is finding undershirts that're lighter than t-shirts. You want something that wicks away the moisture. I have these amazing ones that're made out of an amazing fabric, but they're only for LDS people. Several years ago http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hanes-Men-s-Crew-Tee-Shirts-5-Pack/9208772 worked pretty well for me.