Sewing.........Is it a lost Scouting art?????

Having recently seen many comments in various threads about sewing issues, I just like to know if sewing is a lost scout art?

When I was a scout, in the 60's/70's, I sewed on all my patches except for my council and troop number patch. My mom was kind enough to sew those two patches on but everything else was my responsibility. It wasn't because my mom was lazy; she wanted me to learn a valuable skill which would allow me to repair my uniform and other camping items when I was in the field. Thanks Mom!!!!!!

When my sons and I were looking at my old merit badge sash a few weeks ago, I showed them how I sewed on each and every badge. I told them that I expected them to learn how to sew (hand stitch) when they became Boy Scouts.

Knowing how to sew; it's a "Be Prepared" kinda' thang!!!!!

I don't know a bout a lost Scouting art but with the advent of badge magic etc., there seems to be a lack of will to take the time to sew stuff on in the world as a whole.

I sew on all of my own stuff and am having the boy do certain patches as he earns them. I also do repairs, modifications to my equipment unless the material is too heavy which then goes to my local Shoe repair guy who does very good work for a modest fee. The wife also does excellent detail work but one is definitely on her schedule "Oh, you needed it sometime this or next or the next month?"

It's not hard(other than just getting them to do it), it is just a matter of teaching the Scouts how to do it and giving them opportunities to practice(just like everything else).

I sew every patch; and I have far too many uniforms, working in every program from Cub Scouting to Sea Scouting.

I taught my son (Webelos) to sew, and he put on all of the patches on his own uniform (talk about pride, he beams when he wears it!). It is all straight or perfect? Scout sewn patches sure look that way to me.

I strongly discourage badge magic amongst parents (and scouts). I work with Troop 3; what if someone came out of Pack 425 or 32? That'll leave a mark!

Our troop supplies many of the scout's patches. When we went to summer camp several months ago, we brought needle and thread and extra patches, to ensure everyone was wearing the correct rank, pos and patrol patches. Easy to fix.

Personally, I like the Guttermann thread, and when I can match the color, I always use heavy duty upholstry or button thread. Very durable stuff.

Speaking generally, sewing is a life skill that would be most useful for a boy to learn.

By this, I mean more than just a needle and thread, but learning to work a machine, too.

I can't count how many times I wish I'd picked this up! In this day and age, it's not an effeminate thing, either: there are many women who never learned to sew.

I think plastic-backed badges killed sewing on badges by hand. I can hardly push a needle through one myself. I know the trick is to just catch the edge of the binding, not go through the plastic, but that's a fairly fine skill to master.

These days, sewing seems to be in the same category as penmanship: a nice, genteel skill to be sure, but why bother when there are quicker ways to get the job done? Sorta symtomatic of our culture in general I suppose ...

When my sons were Cubs, I sewed their all patches, but when they got that Tenderfoot badge, I showed them how to do it and told them it was now their job. Nah, I didn't mind at all that the first dozen merit badges on the sash were crooked ;)... after a while, they got the hang of it.

Way back when I was (more) foolish, I designed a garish costume for a medieval faire and I had my then girl friend show me how to use a sewing machine. It was actually fun. My creation would never have won an award for craftsmanship, but I remember the feeling of satisfction, knowing that I had made my entire garb, head to toe.

We're waiting a little while for the introduction of sewing as my son is a Wolf now. My wife and I have discussed it and we're thinking WI or WII.

I keep seeing the term "Scout" and unfortunately I've learned that most of the time folks mean Boy Scout when they use that term not all Scouts or Cubs.

So, how old were folks when they became responsible for sewing on their patches? I was in 4th or 5th grade as I recall.

I don't want to be a pessimist but badge magic is simple and takes a lot less time than sewing. Last week I moved all my patches to my new uniform with badge magic (which isn't the "new" uniform but a gift my parents bought for me because I'm getting my Eagle rank - before they knew of the new one). It took altogether about 15 - 20 min. However, I did sew a satchel-like bag for Indian lore, which I felt very satisfied with when I was done. So I guess sewing's not totally lost among Scouts (just talkin about Boy Scouts ;).

Ditro

Most scouts have no idea how easy this sewing stuff really is. Badge Magic might be a cop out for those who don't know how to sew, but those who do sew are far more versatile. Before I bought multiple uniforms, I was spending at least 10-20 minutes sewing FOR EVERY EVENT I attended. I also sewed at events for maybe 1/4th of the time. One winter I made 12 full uniforms (North Carolina Civil War state grey, both coat and pants). I did cheat and did some of that on a machine, but buttonholes are all hand sewn as were the buttons.

I hand sew shirts with $5 worth of materials and sell for $75 for those around me. It helps pay for my hobby.

Who taught me? My mom when I was still in high school. I can even darn socks. This stuff isn't all that difficult. I carry a sewing kit and on an event back in the early summer, I tore out a seam on my backpack and made field repairs in about 20 minutes. No big deal. I tore my shirt on a tent pole last spring and that got mended within 30 minutes as well.

For those who can't handle a simple patch, really should be looking into a basic sewing class.

Stosh

Most scouts have no idea how easy this sewing stuff really is. Badge Magic might be a cop out for those who don't know how to sew, but those who do sew are far more versatile. Before I bought multiple uniforms, I was spending at least 10-20 minutes sewing FOR EVERY EVENT I attended. I also sewed at events for maybe 1/4th of the time. One winter I made 12 full uniforms (North Carolina Civil War state grey, both coat and pants). I did cheat and did some of that on a machine, but buttonholes are all hand sewn as were the buttons.

I hand sew shirts with $5 worth of materials and sell for $75 for those around me. It helps pay for my hobby.

Who taught me? My mom when I was still in high school. I can even darn socks. This stuff isn't all that difficult. I carry a sewing kit and on an event back in the early summer, I tore out a seam on my backpack and made field repairs in about 20 minutes. No big deal. I tore my shirt on a tent pole last spring and that got mended within 30 minutes as well.

For those who can't handle a simple patch, really should be looking into a basic sewing class.

Stosh

Yes, I believe it is a dying art around here. It's no longer taught in our school system.

What? Yes, it use to be a REQUIREMENT in seventh grade. EVERYONE had to take full Home-Ec and full Shop. So everyone knew how to sew (both by hand and with a machine), cook, and safe use of shop tools. They dropped this about a decade ago. :(

Personally, all my patches/badges are hand sewn by me. And that included the 2,000 patch collection on 5 blankets (and growing).

Well, I just started sewing my patches on my new uniform last night. (I wish the guidelines were out, but anyway). I used to do it all on the machine but found hand sewing actually easier. Plus now I can use my pockets. My next project is to teach my two older boys to do their new shirts. I'll sew the patches for my youngest who is becoming a Tiger this year. After that then I'll teach my wife how to do it.

re: time consideration. I could probably find 10 minutes to sew on a badge; I'm not addicted to the television, so I have more time during the week than most people. I mention this since TV takes up a lot of time for many people.

While a Cub Scout and early in my Boy Scout years, my mom did a great job sewing on the stuff. I had learned to sew a little bit when I was young from my best friend across the street (a girl that I, in turn, taught how to throw a baseball). When I was 13 and getting ready to go to the Jamboree, I needed two full uniforms with the special jamboree patches. At that point, my mom taught me how to sew the stuff on. We each did one of my uniforms, and from then on, I did all of my own stuff (except for merit badges, for which Mom used her machine to put on the sash).

When I got to college, I was in Navy ROTC. We had to sew on our own patches to our uniforms. If the Marine Staff Sergeant didn't think the patch was sewn on correctly, he took it off and told you to do it again. I was one of the few midshipmen who never had to re-sew on a patch.

When I got my new uniform in 1996, I sewed on all of the new patches and have made the changes since then. At summer camp this year, I taught a couple of Scouts how to sew on a new button to their Scout shirts. Their moms were thrilled when they got home with new buttoms sewn on.

I have to agree with what was said before. Scouts that sew on the patches themselves will probably take a lot more pride in their uniform.

We use Badge Magic only on the sash. Patches get sent to the tailor, but we live in Army communities, so sew shops aren't hard to come by. For some reason, I can sew really lovely, complex clothes, but patches thoroughly fluster me on the machine and by hand. My son would just use model glue. The $1.25 per patch is worth it every couple of years.