How to Wear a Campaign Hat?

The "something you're missing" is the sarcasm aimed at the hypocrisy of the scouting of today.

The BSA tries really hard to avoid the image of the boys being a para-military organization, yet use terminology related to it on a routine basis.

Even the whole concept of the original scout program instituted by BP was designed around a military operation where a small patrol of self-sufficient scouts were to infiltrate enemy territory, live off the land and return back to report what they saw.

Today, those dynamics are pretty much absent in the program, but the terminology lingers on as if its a bad taste in their mouths. The marketing to correct this would be detrimental to the program.

Stosh

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you wear it anyway you feel comfortable as long as it's on your head. There are no BSA regulations about how to wear the hat.   I'm actually on my second campaign hat. When I bought my

The Insignia Guide offers no guidance on how to wear the campaign hat or any other hat for that matter.   However, I think that common sense would indicate that it is worn approximately parallel. t

Apologies for being 5 to 16 years late to this party, but I just wanted to add my 2¢. I own several BSA campaign hats, dated from the 40s on up. The oldest ones are quite floppy. Some have the fleur d

Posted Images

Apologies for being 5 to 16 years late to this party, but I just wanted to add my 2¢. I own several BSA campaign hats, dated from the 40s on up. The oldest ones are quite floppy. Some have the fleur de lis ribbon hatband, some are plain ribbon, and my latest one has a leather band with the BSA logo pressed into it. Also, the older ones are a brownish-green color, a few from the 60s are OD, and my “newest” one is brown; the thickness of each varies greatly, with the stiffest brims belonging to the hats with the thinnest felt. I prefer to wear the floppier ones, as I like the brim to swoop down like Don Johnson’s in the movie “Pursuit of Honor”.  

I’m the resident nerd/history buff in my district, and I’m always on the lookout for wearable vintage uniforms. My favorite look thus far is the breeches/puttees (or stockings)/jacketed look from the 1910s-30s.

E8B1824E-1F2B-4AE2-947F-4AB388DA2394.jpeg

BBB7C4CD-87A3-4F49-809B-BE2E88B5A84F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, ValleyBoy said:

Green was Boy Scouts.

Cub - yellow

Boy Scout - green

Explorer - red

I was not a big fan of the knee socks/garter combo.  You had to have it tight enough to keep the socks from sagging, which meant it was fairly uncomfortable.  They also produces the dreaded 'camp staff tan'.  By the end of the summer we all had a tan line of about 4 inches!  Bottom of the uniform shorts to the top of the sock and nothing else.