Parent pins with leader uniform?

I am a believer that the Wood Badge beads should be worn with the field uniform as much as possible. I always want to encourage scouters that have not gone through this experience to have a taste of Gilwell. The neckerchief and woggle I wear for special occasions.

Although parents pins are not part of the official uniform, I have never called anyone on it. Don't think I have it in my heart to do something like that.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You'll find a parent's pin under the pocket flap of some Scouter's uniforms... They know it's there and their son knows it's there. The rest of the world might only see it in passing, but it's kept c

Wow, I have been wearing my parent "mom" pins on my uniform since the very beginning. I have mixed emotions now. If it is not part of the uniform I guess I will have to conform and not wear them. I am

Technically, parent pins are not supposed to be on the uniform per the Guide. That said, our parent/leaders wear them on and it looks okay. I don't call them out on it because I have more important

Reference to the wearing of Wood Badge Beads, Neckerchief & Woggle:

The "official wording" is somewhat cloudy and found in the current BSA Insignia Guide. However, here's what it comes down to:

BEADS:

The outward sign of the Wood Badge holder is the set of two, three or four beads suspended from a leather thong and worn around the neck of the holder.

The Wood Badge may be worn with any official uniform of your movement, with the exception of activity or camp uniforms (for instance, you aren't supposed to wear them with a tee-shirt, even a BSA teeshirt, or with the BSA red or maroon "activity" (golf) shirts).

The Wood Badge may be worn with the official dress blazer of the BSA but not with a civilian dress blazer.

If worn with a field uniform, the beads are worn UNDER the neckerchief in back and ABOVE the ends of the neckerchief in front. If worn with other formal awards, the Wood Badge should be worn in front or placed on the uniform last (so that it is in front of any other suspended awards).

If worn with the official dress blazer, it is worn UNDER the collar in back and OVER and CENTERED on the front of the tie. For female Scouters, it is worn UNDER the collar and centered on the buttons of the blouse or shirt. If worn with other formal awards, the Wood Badge should be worn in front or placed on the uniform last (so that it is in front of any suspended awards).

There is NO "official" statement as to the wear of the three-bead necklace, however, informally, those who have worn or presented the beads to Scouters have insured that the side of the necklace with ONE bead is worn to the wearer's LEFT. I have seen Wood Badge information with the three beads displayed with the single bead to the RIGHT, however. I'm convinced that it's up to the individual Wood Badger.

In the United States, there are only two, three or four-bead holders. The last person to hold five beads as a National Wood Badge Director, was "Green Bar" Bill Hillcourt, who passed away a few short years ago.

NECKERCHIEF:

There are two neckerchiefs associated with Wood Badge participation:

The kelly green neckerchief with the brown axe-in-wood is known as the PARTICIPANTS NECKERCHIEF, and should be worn to, during and after Wood Badge Troop and Patrol activities and during the practical course. It is designed to be worn in units without a neckerchief option by the participant after the completion of the course to remind them of their obligation to complete all parts of their personal committement (their "ticket"). If worn by the Scouter, the neckerchief is worn with the field uniform and never with an activity uniform.

The tan neckerchief with a swatch of MacLaren tartan centered on the back of it is known as the WOOD BADGE NECKERCHIEF, and is worn with the beads by non-unit Scouters at all times. Unit Scouters have the option of wearing their unit's neckerchief (recommended) or the Wood Badge neckerchief. The Woggle (the leather neckerchief slide) is worn always with the Wood Badge neckerchief or with the unit neckerchief when wearing the beads. The beads are worn as stated above under "beads".

If a holder belongs to a unit which has chosen NOT to wear a specific neckerchief, he or she may choose to wear the beads WITHOUT the Wood Badge neckerchief; however, tradition dictates that the Wood Badge neckerchief is worn at any FORMAL Scouting occasion (Courts of Honor, District or Council recognition banquets and any time in which other Wood Badgers are present or when Wood Badge presentations are to be made).

WOGGLE:

This is the leather neckerchief slide which is presented as part of the Wood Badge presentation. It is recommended that this neckerchief slide be used whenever wearing the Wood Badge, whether you wear the Wood Badge neckerchief or a unit neckerchief.

"There is a dress uniform blazer??? Where do I get one? I checked the on-line scout stuff website and couldnt find it, how do you get one? "

Hey, this has already been discussed in other threads. Aren't you paying attention? :-)

To order the official dress uniform, visit http://www.scoutstuff.org/misc/70-616.pdf to download the order form.

Of course, to "Bob White's" chagrin, I don't wear the official jacket and trousers. I wear a nice wool jacket with wool trousers and the official tie.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I have been wearing my parent "mom" pins on my uniform since the very beginning. I have mixed emotions now. If it is not part of the uniform I guess I will have to conform and not wear them. I am proud of my son's achievments and I don't see a better way of displaying it than the ribbon. I have never been approached by anyone that said, "hey, that is not part of the uniform your really should take it off." On the other hand I have been asked where do you get those ribbons? That is so neat.....etc.

If it is not part of the uniform I think it should be changed so you can wear it if you want to.

Bear MOM

• Upvote 1

Much as I hate to sat it but the information that acc40, gave is outdated and not really all right.

Here in the USA, there were three Neckerchiefs, for Wood Badge, the green one as described, then there was a blue one for the participants taking the Cub Scout Leader Trainer Wood Badge. These were worn by the participants on the course and could be worn, by the participants till they completed thier ticket, or the time ran out.

Once the ticket was completed and the presentation was done they could wear the Neckerchief of the 1st Gilwell, which is as described.

However now there is the Wood Badge Troop 1 Neckerchief. A training neckerchief worn by participants (Staff as well, until the last day of the course.) The entire neckerchief is the

McLaren tartan pattern embroidered with the words "Boy Scouts of America" the troop 1 unit numeral, and the ax-in-log emblem.

It is a restricted item (WC02209)

Eamonn,

Actually both you and accu40are looking at old uniform references. There ia no Cub Wood Badge any longer. There is only one Wood Badge Course. It is called Wood Badge for the 21st Century. The training neckerchief is the McLaren tartan with the ax and log and Troop numeral 1. The woodbedge award neckerchief that you receive on completeion of your ticket is beige with a patch of the McLaren tarten on the back.

Bob White

• 10 years later...

Parent Pins

Show your pride in your son’s advancement in Cub Scouts with a parent pin to match his earned

rank. Boys receive their rank recognition in the form of a cloth badge, and parents are presented a

parent pin during the advancement ceremony. After a few years, each parent will have accumulated

a collection. Parents can wear the pins on a parents-pride ribbon. This special ribbon allows parents

to keep adding rank-advancement pin recognitions, beginning with Bobcat. It’s a family memory

that starts today and continues through the highest Boy Scout rank. Parent pins are not worn on the

official BSA uniform. "Cub Scout Meeting Guide, January, pg 409." /filestore/CubScoutMeetingGuide/pack/PackMeetingTipsJanuary.pdf

My Parent-Leaders wear their parent pins on their uniform with pride, and no one "calls them out" on it. If someone did, they'd be told to "pound sand" loudly and proudly, and I'd back them up as COR.

You can call it "improper uniforming" and point to the Insignia Guide all you want, and preach how it's a "bad example for the Scouts" but....

How many of your Scouts have a copy of and know the contents of the Insignia Guide? My guess: somewhere near or equal to zero.

Our boys wear their rank pins on their lapels! It's just something they started doing---if they're all the same, we think that's OK.

Is being picayune about something as small as a parent pin really "a hill worth dying for"?

Just Food For Thought.

When my son has moved up a rank and I will therefore be getting my parent pin then I will wear my parent ribbon on my uniform for THAT court of honor. I'm not sure what I will do once he ages out. He should have his eagle done just in the nick of time and I'd love to wear the eagle parent pin for normal meetings, but doubt I'd wear it when heading out for a campout or summer camp.

Technically, parent pins are not supposed to be on the uniform per the Guide. That said, our parent/leaders wear them on and it looks okay. I don't call them out on it because I have more important things to to deal with - thank goodness! I guess you can say I'm "looking the other way" in regards to the uniform guide, but It's a "guide" not a rule book.

I try to lead by example myself and I follow the uniform guide but I back off other leaders when they take a few liberties with their uniform.

• Upvote 1