This seems to be topic getting a lot of play in our council. Some Districts have banned the use of camo clothing on scouting events. I think that's absurd, but then again I could be wrong. I would like to know what others think about it. Usually camo is good sturdy outdoor clothing that goes on sale after hunting season. Usually going to half price or less. Is there anything wrong with allowing camo on a campout?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we've ever had any problems with camo. You're right, it's usually made from good material, and holds up well. IT's not "the Uniform", but I would think it would be OK for outdoor activities. Sometimes Scouts appear to walk a fine line between being an outdoors centered program, and being para-military.

Could be another example of protecting our babies from big ol' mean army men, and hunters, and from getting a boo-boo out in the woods.

I, too, find the camo ban a bit strange. What is the track record? Were Troops showing up looking like guerrillas or some other type of military personnel? There MIGHT be something to that, but who knows? I see no problem with camo pants because they're sturdy and build for the outdoors. Full camo might be another story.

Could the council be thinking that a lost boy wearing camo would be harder to find? Just a thought.

It surprises me to hear of camos being banned at scout events in some areas. It strikes me that there are more important things to worry about. Having said that, I would be concerned if an entire unit showed up at Camporee or some similar event entirely in camos. While Scouting enjoys an outstanding relationship with the military across the board, and I for one am proud of my own military service, I would not want to see scouting identified in peoples' minds as a youth paramilitary organization.

While I've never encouraged wearing camo on a troop camping trip, I've never encouraged wearing a Scout uniform, either. Uniforms are expensive enough, and I, for one, have always encouraged Scouts and their folks to save the uniform for events where it counts...meetings, parades, community service, summer camp, etc. Out in the woods, by ourselves, it hardly seems necessary to give the unifotm that extra wear & tear. So...Scouts are encouraged to wear clothing that fits the events, and if camo is to their liking, so be it. I do know, and have experienced, events like Klondikes, where the event leaders discourage wearing camo...too what end, I have no clue. Perhaps, though, it's as has been suggested above, that too many folks see that as bringing Scouting into the para-military arena. I'm also proud of my military service, but would not want to see Scouting identified as para-military. But I also think that there's too many folks out there that don't have any respect for the military, or the uniforms they wear, or the purpose they serve. If they could see the benefits of a strong military service in this country, perhaps they could get over the flak about camo.

I agree that Scouting doesn't need to be seen as para-military. I've never allowed Scouts to wear camo with the uniform shirt, but with todays proliferation of solid hunting styles of outdoor gear and clothing in various camo patterns I see no problem with it on campouts and such. I still don't like to see it carried to the extreme, such as a boy walking around looking like Special Forces in all military BDU garb. Like most of you, I would dearly love to see BSA come out with reasonably priced, solid, practical, outdoor use uniform items. I'll cross my fingers, but not too tightly.

Camo is fine as long as it is not accepted as part of the uniform.

Recently our PLC stated that they wanted to change our Troop t-shirts from red to Camo. I refused for a couple of reasons. First, the committe didn't want a para-military connotation. Second (and probably the only reason to ban camo at a camporee) was that we can see boys in bright red shirts a lot easier than ones in camo. I want to know where our boys are at any time. I think I have good boys but I worry about mischief when I can't see them easily. Troop campouts, no problem, wear it if you like.

I see no problem with the kids wearing the camo type pants when we're on campouts. They are generally more suitable for rugged wear. The full camo get-up is not encouraged though.

And we make it clear - No camo out in public - only regulation uniforms. If the boy doesn't have scout pant then he is allowed to wear suitable dress pants or jeans.

I agree that Scout uniforms are very expensive and not well suited to outdoor use.

Well, if my district mandated that my Scouts couldn't wear camo, I think I might get a good laugh and then wonder if their time might be better spent on something a little more productive. Maybe my time would be better spent staying away from the district as well. This is definitely a topic for the "Give me Break" column.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I'm wearing something different, but since when is the current uniform "not suited to outdoor use?" Other than the expense, what exactly is wrong with the uniform? I and my sons wear it proudly, minus the "camo", which in my humble opinion has NO PLACE at all being mixed with the official uniform. What's next, replacing summer camp t-shirts with "Airborne, Death From Above" shirts??

• 7 months later...

I had to laugh when I saw this topic. We dealt with this about six or seven years ago. I don't have a problem with the Scouts wearing camo on campouts for activities just as I wouldn't have a problem with them wearing sweats (basically, for the comfort and warmth). The problem our district ran into involved the Scouts wearing camo during nighttime (Capture the Flag) games. At first, the Scouts would just wear the pant and maybe a jacket made of camo. As time went on, they added a large variety of accessories (including face paint, radios, and netting) and it got to the point where they Scout camporees looked like an Army Reserve bivouac. The Scouts were bringing twice as much stuff for the nighttime as they were for the rest of the campout. In addition, the more "dressed up" they got, the more aggressive they got in the games. Needless to say, Scouts were getting hurt (more than normal) because of the overemphasis on the game. When people get concerned about the para-military aspect of the Scouts, this is what they are scared of. Scouts "preparing" for war and getting overly aggressive and hurt.

Fortunately, the fad passed and there are actually not too many Scouts that wear camo on campouts anymore.

I think some of the aspects of the military are very helpful for Scouting. I tend to think that the rank system and patrol method adapted from the military helps develop Scouts very effectively. Also, something almost everyone (no matter what their political beliefs) is impressed by is the beautiful ceremonies and sharp uniformed appearance of the armed forces. We, as a nation, take a tremendous amount of pride when we see a military parade or flag ceremony and I don't know anyone who isn't in awe when they see a military funeral. Those are the aspects of the military I would like to keep in Scouting.

I won't ever ban games like capture the flag (they are fun and just need to be kept in proper perspective). However, our job is to promote peace and brotherhood with others, not teach our Scouts how to prepare for war (they can do that when they turn 18 and want to join the military).

I can't believe this has come up again... but since it has let me recall my last thoughts... oh yeah, "give me a break". If by simply wearing camo makes you paramilitary, then there are a lot of bow hunters that want to be in the army. Camo is a type of clothing that makes you fit in with your surroundings. It doesn't mean you're trying to be in the military. When some kids play capture the flag in camo and others in black shirts and jeans, does that mean that those wearing camo want to be in the army and those in black want to be robbers or Johny Cash? No, it means they don't want to be seen by their opponent. Once again, give me a break