When to "call it quits" on Trail to Eagle

clemlaw,

I would also consider Girl Scouts highest honor as well. I would also consider pariticipation in many other activities in which a youth had distinguished themself.

And I would favor any number of these things over someone who had nothing of the sort.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neal

Apparently using the Eagle to choose between two equal candidates is considered a form of discrimination under federal labor law, EEOC Uniform Guidelines on Employee Selection Procedures, Title VII, so I have been told, and could lead to an employer being severely fined for such practices. Now I am no lawyer or HR expert but was told this by a well respected expert with a nationwide corporation who deals with these kind of situations all the time. This also does not take into account individual states rules and regulations.

Now don't shoot the messenger!

I worked with a retired Navy/Marine officer (USNA grad) who had some connections on USN officer advancement selection boards. He relayed as story of how when reviewing candidates, they would divide stacks into "Eagle Scouts" and non-Eagle scouts. They would first review all "Eagle" candidates before looking at candidates who were not Eagle scouts. I don't know how true this representation was, but as an Eagle Scout himself, I tend to believe what he said.

Well, thanks everyone for taking this thread down a beaten path. We all agree that Eagle has it's perks. Let's just keep in mind that our goal is not to give boys "perks", but award boys who measure up.

In the case I cited, it wasn't so much that he was an Eagle, but that he had experience doing work very similar to what he was hired for just out of college.

Let's face it Scouting gives scouts expreinces and responsibilities that are not available in our current society. How many 13-20 yos can say that they were responible for planning, organinzing, and executing 24 meetings and 6 weekend long trips? How many 14-21 yos can say that they worked a summer job where they had to plan teaching sessions and teach skills to folks? How many 13-20yos can say they took a management class like NYLT or WB21C?

Shall I continue?

Things that we do in Scouting do have a part ot play in resumes. I know I didn't list everything I did in Scouting on mine, and my bosses are amazed at some of the things I did in the 14-20 to range, but I did use my scouting experiecne, both as a pro and a vol, on my resume to show that I did have the KSAs to do the job. That's what's important.