What is Appropriate at a Court of Honor?

At our spring and fall CoHs, we traditionally have our induction of new officers. We make a big deal of this ceremony, with the SM giving the oath of office to the new SPL, who in turn gives it to his ASPLs and then PLs. And, every three years or so, the CoH will see the CC giving the oath of office to a new SM.

Our CoH's (we had one last week) are MC'd by the SPL, that's part of his job description. We have a time for announcement, which is my job as SM. I also take that time to tell the boys just how proud I am of thier accomplishments for the period between the CoH's. It's awesome to see thier faces light up when they get praised in front of the parents.

We do have FOS presentations to our unit at CoH's, but it's 5 minutes, it is done by me, and we move on. I get about 80% participation in the end. Not bad.

Discipline really has no place at the CoH. It needs to be handled elsewhere and to keep the focus off of the negative.

Why have a guest speaker unless they have a meaningful message to share.

I agree. But that message shouldn't be about a disciplinary issue. There are tons of topics a guest speaker could share!

Venividi,

Timing, timing, timing and context, context, context. Coming on the heels of an incident involving Scouts in a unit, I sure as heck take it as "platoon punishment." Been there, done that, got the T-shirts.

COHs are times of celebration. The incident Lisa observed in the base thread merits gravitas.

Now, if we were in the old days of Scouting (remember when Boy's Life actually did articles on road rallying???), then a safety talk at a COH before an event would be a good thing.

Of course, Scouts participating in a road rally these days is akin to sod surfing... just not worth doing.

Thanks, John.

I understand the timing. I think that such a presentation could be made without it being made to be disciplinary. Could be done as an informative presentation. Sure, people will understand that such a presentation is related to recent activity. And I think that if done right, it will not be perceived as disiplinary, and that some people may actually appreciate it. I think that would be dependent on the culture of the troop. A troop that normally of speakers at COH's, I think it could work.

Note: I do think that it would be just as effective to have such a guest to a regular troop meeting.

That said, this is nothing more than an intellectual "what if" discussion, and opinions will vary based on personal views.

have a great weekend.

Platoon Punishment? Who is being punished?

Discipline at a court of honor? Who suggested the scouts be disciplined, and by what authority since it happened outsdide of scouting.

We counsel scouts all the time about activities that are common among youth at their age and stage of developement. We talk about the dangers of drug usage, sexual abuse, alcohol use, tobacco, Internet use, fire arms, fireworks, etc..

But you think safe driving is off limits as a topic? How is that logical?(This message has been edited by Bob White)

By having a guest speaker talk about this incident at a CoH, even the Scout who weren't involved & guest who have no idea what's going on are forced to listen. There's you Platoon Punishment!

No one has ever suggested a discussion on safe driving is off limits. It isn't but a CoH isn't the proper venue for such a discussion.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

No one said they should talk about the incident. We said they should discuss the danger of an activity being practiced by youth of this age. We do that all the time in scouting.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

OK guys, thanks for your comments. No need to continue the back and forth of the last few posts. I think we've more or less decided, as a unit, how we wish to handle this one.

I appreciate everyone's input in this thread and the other couple that stemmed from the initial incident.

as much as I hate fos presentations, let us not forget lisabob that the united way just this week cut $25,000 in funding to the scouts in our county. so sadly I think we will all be dealing with a lot more fos bull.

I also found it interesting that in the last 5 years we have been receiving $25,000 a year, as the girl scouts have been getting $40,000.

whats up with that?