preparation for SM conference

Great Camping All

>>I usually have a raft of questions I have stored away so as to keep the conversation going and the boy taking. Otherwise it is designed more for the boy's reflection rather than information gathering on my part.

I make a few mental or written notes prior to a SM Conference, but have found the best conversation is generated in a very informal atmosphere. I want the Scout to look within, to set some goals for the next rank, to identify problems, etc. Leading, non-threatening questions work well.

I'm curious about the following from acco40's earlier post:

"As A SM, I prepare by having attendance, service, POR, etc. information handy and briefly scanned before I meet with the Scouts"

How do you use attendance information during the conference?

Many thanks.

If he is supposed to be POR for 6 months and he showed up only half the time does he get full credit for fulfilling his responsibility?

Has the Scout fulfilled the POR to the SM's expectations? But if the SM does not lay out the expectations for the POR when the Scout is elected/appointed, how can the SM expect the Scout to know what to do? He can't.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Hey folks, thanks for your thoughts on this. I was a little surprised to find that practically everyone was uncomfortable with the idea. I do think that our SM is simply feeling around for ways to draw out some of the boys, particularly some older ones who have become used to the notion (with previous SMs) that they can just slip through without much effort or reflection. Changing expectations is hard on everyone and I think this is part of his effort to at least have clear(er) guidelines for the boys in terms of what he expects of them. But I see people's points about how there may be other, better ways to do that too, and I'll gently pass those along as the opportunity arises.