Regardless of what any document says the facts are many Districts and Councils do not use Blue Cards(including the one I'm in), and still participate in the BSA advancement process. They produce Eagle candidates and they're approved by National.

I always thought Houses of Holy was mediocre at best. A few good cuts, but not up to ZOZO otherwise known as Led Zeppelin IV.

SA

Well Viki, long ago I learned that when in doubt go with the published word of those who make the rules, not rumor and "general wisdom." Since Beaver apparently doesn't work for the BSA insurance office, he falls into the latter category.

Other gems from people who give "good info," often people with special beads, include "Eagle projects must include at least 40 hours of labor," "sheath knives are prohibited," "a knife with a blade longer than 3 inches (or 2 or 3.5 or. . . ) are prohibited," "Scouters may not consume alcoholic beverages while in uniform," and "Scouts must travel in uniform" all of which are untrue. Beware the "knowledgeable" person who has nothing in writing to back up his claims.(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

While one should always be careful of information given by someone who may or maynot be able to back up the claims, one should also always be scoutlike as well.

I can't say I always with everyone on the forums. I can't say I always behave as I should towards posters as some really rankle me but that doesnt excuse poor behavior towards them.

Just because I dont agree with someone doesnt make them wrong, and disparaging comments about them dont help. Let's talk facts, and not the fact how (fill in the blank) the other poster is

GW, in general, if someone's statements are consistent with my own experience then I will back that person up when discussion ensues - whether that's insurance or blue cards.

Vicki(This message has been edited by Vicki)

Wow, and a swipe at Wood Badgers, too. Interesting. I mention it only because, since I do have some insurance experience, and it was of benefit to my troop leadership, one of my ticket items was to get information on the BSA insurance system, interview the person responsible for insurance in our council, write it up, have them review it, and then present it to the leadership.

But you are certainly welcome to your own interpretation, based on your reading of the material.

Vicki

Whether they're required or not, they are a good idea. Have you ever looked at the records of your boys at council? Did that last year, and on average a third of the boys advancement/MB's weren't in there.

Years ago at my brothers Eagle BOR they questioned if he had completed a certain MB. He called my other brother who ran his stack of blue cards up to him and he presented the signed Blue Card. No further questions.

On a side note. A great way to keep all of your kids scouting advancement cards together is to use baseball card sleeves.

As Herms said:

" Whether they're required or not, they are a good idea. Have you ever looked at the records of your boys at council? Did that last year, and on average a third of the boys advancement/MB's weren't in there. "

That is exactly why you need to request a full advancement printout twice a year and hang on to your signed "green sheets" so you can show council where it was turned in before.

Part of the new National technology access is the advancement records from your local council. I am now able to review what they have on file directly for every scout; and I believe, once I start doing the records on-line, it will become almost automatic. That part though I still am a bit fuzzy on, as the report still has to be filed. If we do it on-line, but never filed the report, will it still be a real record?