When exactly is a Merit Badge considered "earned"?

In the case of merit badges, the merit badge is earned when completed to the satisfaction of the merit badge counselor. It is earned the day the merit badge counselor signs the merit badge application indicating that the work on the badge has been completed.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help thinking that a lot depends on the interpretation of the word earned.

Are we saying that a badge is earned when the requirements are met?

Or are we we talking about record keeping?

I see my role as serving the Scouts and helping to deliver the program of the BSA.

I don't want to place any un-necessary obstacles or hurdles in their way.

Advancement is a method of Scouting, it isn't the be all and end all of Scouting. For the method to work the Scout should be recognized, this does mean that records have to be kept.

I want the Scouts I serve to get what they have earned, if they don't get it, they will feel let down and that I have let them down. If they feel strongly about this they might decide to quit. If they quit any good that Scouting can provide will be lost.

Some people just love paper work and record keeping. God bless them!! I work with a fellow who loves this sort of thing. I tease him calling him a "Paper work Nazi" (He is a giant of a man and African American, he takes it in good fun.) I used to resent the fact that he would get on me for not having all the paperwork up to date, till I worked out that he was in fact helping me do my job better. He is never happier than when he is collecting information and entering it where it needs to be entered. He really does a great job.

If this is really making the best use of his time? Is another question.

The flow of information and record keeping in Scouting is necessary. Most Scouters I know don't have a real problem with it, they just do it or find a way of getting it done.

Helping to ensure that the Scouts in the Ship are having fun, adventure and are being challenged is my job. If the challenge they choose is some kind of an Advancement whatever, the reward at the end needs to be given. The reward might just be me signing my name indicating that a requirement has been met and when all these requirements are met a rank is awarded or for some of the Ship's members it can be a Merit Badge.

The Badge in it-self isn't anything more than a bit of material. The "Big Thing" is the challenge - Them meeting the requirements.

There is no real challenge in them beating the system.But I don't have the time, the skills or the inclination to go out and make sure that all the MB Counselors are doing everything that they are supposed to be doing.

I have to trust that they are doing their job.

I have to trust that the people who gave them the job think that they have the skills to get the job done. Or will fix it if the job isn't being done.

I have to trust the Scouts when they return and tell me that they have met the requirements, which is different than them telling me that Mr Soandso signed the card.

The system is not without its faults, but does work nearly all of the time. It's never going to be perfect.

Ea.

So, if a Scout comes running in to a BOR, all out of breath and says, "Sorry I'm late but I had to stop by Mr. Smiths house and get my Camping blue card signed," would we say, "Sorry but that hasn't been entered into Scout Net"?

NO.

The advancement BOR doesn't begin until the SM Conference is done.

The advancement SM Conference shouldn't be held until all the requirements are completed.

I'd accept the boy for his SM conference with a blue card signed off. If he's handing to me at the BOR, I'd adjourn the Board and have a Heart to Heart talk with the SM about why he's signing off on conferences for kids who didn't have things done.

OTOH, if the SM had talked to me in advance (he's going out of town on business), that'd be a whole other story.

The advancement BOR doesn't begin until the SM Conference is done.

Exactly!

The advancement SM Conference shouldn't be held until all the requirements are completed.

There is no order to any requirements except the BOR is the last requirement completed. A SM Conference can be done anytime. It's really nothing more than a casual talk with the Scout. A Scout can't fail a SM Conference.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Ed,

I absolutely agree that a Scout can ask for a SM conference at any time for any reason ... and that a Scout can ask for a BOR at any time for any reason...

I also agree the SM and the Committee can ask for a Conf/BOR from the Scout, though I hope there is reason there. :)

My point was: The SM having his conference normally usually generally most of the time after the Scout has his other requirements done makes a cleaner path to the BOR...