Eagle Project Approval

I have been a SM about two years and have my first Life Scout ready to

start his Eagle project. I am trying to understand the process. (When I earned my Eagle in the early 80s the project only required SM approval as I recall.) Does the Scout plan out all the details of the project ("to the extent that someone could pick up the plans and do the project" is how I explained it to the Scout in my Troop) and then (after securing the proper Troop and benefiting org signatures) take to the District Advancement for approval?

My concern with this is that the project the Scout has choosen, the planning may be a very large portion of it-- I could see an easy 20-30 hours-- he wants to improve the trail markings and place map signs at the local nature center. (They really like the idea because their current signs/markers are poor and people are getting lost out there.) Walking all the trail and deciding where to place everything is a big part of the job, but definately falls under planning.

What I hate to see is for him to get so far along and then have it not approved for whatever reason.

Sounds like a good project to me - but then I have a soft spot for nature centers.

Sounds like the beneficiary organization approves this project. Sounds like you like this project, despite your reservations on planning time. To get approval to start the project, your Scout should be developing an outline of the plan first. Not walking the trails to determine where signs and maps go (though walking the trails to get an idea of what needs to be done wouldn't be a bad idea)- that's planning - and planning is part of the project itself, and should be done after the project is approved. Its the outline of the project that gives everyone an idea of what the goals and objectives of the project is.

Some thoughts I have on the planning - he doesn't need to go out alone to determine where to place markers - he can bring some folks along to help prepare the map (part of leadership). He can bring people along to give advice on the best places to put the markers. He could bring someone along who can help design the markers and maps (he doesn't need to do this alone either). As part of the project, he can remove the old markers and someone can come along on the initial jaunt to help mark out where those markers are on the map. There are a lot of ways he can get people involved in helping with the planning process - too often, I think we look at getting folks to help only with the implementation.

But first step - outline the project and get the appropriate approvals - then prepare the plan, based on the outline. Better for him to know if some kindly District Advancement type is going to have serious reservations before he puts in 20 hours on planning.

Calico

Get a copy of the Eagle Project Workbook to assist if not already done so. It does provide space to show what the scout plans to do for the project, and the accompanying signatures for approval. Calico is right that the project is based on leadership, and I like what he included. An outline of the project with the workbook would be a great start for the project. The signatures in the workbook would show that the troop approves (SM and CC) and the organiztion he hopes to work with also approves. Don't forget to let the scout include any "mistakes" or rough spots he encounters during the project. This will show the BOR later that sometimes planning out a project can incur a problem...

The Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook, pretty much walks the Scout thru the process.

"Before You Start

The project plan must be reviewed and approved by the beneficiary of the project, your unit leader, the unit committee, and the council or district advancement committee before the project is started. The following questions must be answered before giving this approval:

 What is the project you are planning?

 Who will benefit from the project?

 How will they benefit?

 What representative of the projects beneficiary will be contacted for guidance in planning the project?

 What are the project planning details?

Remember, the project must be approved before you begin, so make sure all signatures have been secured before you start the project."

The workbook then provides space for the Scout to answer these questions and to get the proper approval signatures.

Many councils also assign an Eagle Mentor to Scouts approaching Eagle.

Details Details Details!

The Scout should provide all the details he can about the project including tools to be used, how safety will be achieved, what first aid will be available, where the supplies are coming from, etc. The more the better. And the number of hours really makes no difference. There is no reguired number of hours or minimum number of hours.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

This sounds about right to me. My son did a nature center project, and he had 20 to 30 hours of planning in it.

The goal here is to learn to lead, and the means is the project he is planning. I like the excersize because it is similar to projects I do in the professional world. And in that world, getting approvals is part of the project. And, any time the scout spends getting ready for the district approval is time to log for the project. He may do 10 to 20 hours of planning getting through the approval, and that is time to log for the project.

My son tried to do three projects. The first two got scraped for one reason or another. Even that is similar to real world project planning. If the original plan does not work, then you have to rethink, retool, replan. We did not include the hours on the first two attempts in the final project log, but I was tempted to.

The district wants to see that a real project exists. Is there a real benefit to the community, and is a real beneficiary organization involved. Has the scout done the footwork preparation to get things rolling. Will he really be leading others in a public service.

My sons plan called for 60 hours in all. The district approval person wanted to see us get over 100 hours. That is the only time I have seen a number of hours put on one of these. I guess he was thinking our project needed more people working to succeed. Fortunately we got more people come out to our workday than we expected.

I tell my scouts to plan a project that 10 teenaged boys can do on a weekend by working 6 to 8 hours. Usually it can not involve power tools unless the project planner recruits an adult who can do the work. I tell them to record every single phone call, meeting with the beneficiary, trip to the hardware store, even meetings with the adult scouters and district coordinators. It is amazing how fast the hours of preparation can add up.

Good luck to your scout. I hope he has a good experience with the project.

Eagle309,

Congratulations that the first Scout is ready to do his Eagle Project!

May I suggest: Before you send him to RT or District Committee or wherever the Advancement Folks sign off on Eagle Projects...

BUY YOUR DISTRICT ADVANCEMENT CHAIRMAN A CUP OF COFFEE. Make sure that the project proposed meets how your District interprets advancement policy. In my District, cutting NEW trail is OK, rehabbing old trail is "a unit service project, not an ELSP."

A little failure can be good, a great big "train wreck" failure, when the Scout is working well to goal, is not a good thing.

Thank you for bringing this post forward.

I knew an Eagle candidate was supposed to get Troop Committee Approval before STARTING their Eagle project. So now I am wondering why we have a Scout who recently announced when and where others should show up, to start actual work on his Eagle project. I thought I was missing something....

Hmmmmm.....

I knew an Eagle candidate was supposed to get Troop Committee Approval before STARTING their Eagle project.

And in my council, the District Advancement Committee must also approve the project prior to any work being completed.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Ed,

As I recall, ACP&P #33088 mandates Council or District approval before a Scout can begin the project phase of his ELSP. The Council Advancement Committee makes the decision on whether they will hold approval meetings, or will delegate to the Districts.

It's the "DO NOT GO FORWARD" point in the project cycle. My DAC has disallowed ELSPs which were completed without District approval, and has been upheld at National on appeal.

In my case, I thought maybe our Troop committee met and discussed it at a meeting when I wasn't even there. I just took over for advancements in late August/Early Sept. so I figured whatever approval was secured, occurred before I was more deeply involved.

Come to find out in talking to our CC last night - they knew nothing more than I did, so honestly I am not sure WHAT form of approval this particular kid has to have started his Eagle Project other than the approval of the benefiting agency, and the Scoutmaster (who happens to be the boy's father).

Needless to say I am going to find out now! Something tells me he didn't make sure it went to District either, but I just read that eagle packet and that's exactly where the approval was supposed to go after Troop committee, and BEFORE work was begun - so we'll see!

Anyway, thanks all for sparking my interest in this issue, by posting to this thread!

It's the "DO NOT GO FORWARD" point in the project cycle. My DAC has disallowed ELSPs which were completed without District approval, and has been upheld at National on appeal.

Been there, unfortunately. We had a cover up the fact that his project had been completed even before it was approved by the Scoutmaster... When the SM asked to visit the site to see it in its "before" condition, he knew something was wrong... It didn't even go to the DAC, and his birthday was only a week out, which left no time to get another project approved and executed.

The boy appealed and lost. Parents threatened to sue the troop and SM personally, but that never happened either... but it was an ugly experience I wouldn't wish on anyone.