Eagle Paperwork Deadline?

I know all work for Eagle must be finished prior to the Scout's 18th birthday. However, is there a deadline of any kind as to when paperwork must be turned in by? We havea scout who finished all requirements prior to his April 2006 18th birthday. As of now, October, six months later, we have not received the project workbook. I spent the first few months hounding him about it, to no avail; since then I haven't said a word, figuring it is his responsibility to get the paperwork turned in to me. Is there a deadline, or can we wait months, years, decades, to turn in the application and paperwork? Thanks for your help!

Dale

Yah, Dale. Your boy is in trouble, eh?

I'm not sure of any official rulin' on the matter, but a lot of people would consider working on the project workbook as still working on requirements. After all, the actual requirement states that the boy must use the Eagle Project Workbook in completing the requirement.

So off the cuff I'd say he would need to apply for an extension of time to finish the workbook beyond his 18th birthday.

But even if your council thinks it's OK to work on the workbook after he turns 18, your boy has passed the time limits for conducting an Eagle Board of Review:

"For Eagle Scout boards of review conducted between three and six months after the candidate's 18th birthday, a statement explaining the reason for the delay must be attached to the Eagle Scout rank application when it is submitted to the Eagle Scout Service. If an Eagle Scout board of review will be held after the six months following the candidate's 18th birthday, the Eagle Scout must petition the National Boy Scout Committee for an extension of time to hold the board of review. The petition must be processed through the local council, detailing the extenuating circumstances that prevented the board of review from being held within the six-month period following the candidate's 18th birthday, and be accompanied with a copy of the Eagle Scout Rank Application." (ACP&P #33088D p. 29).

Yah, sadly, I think your former scout has missed his opportunity by his own choosing.

In the last sentence you ask Is there a deadlineto turn in the application This would lead me to believe that this boy has not had a BOR for the rank of Eagle, in which case I turn your attention to the small print at the end of the numbered text on page 17 of the Requirements book #33215B. Bold print end of first paragraph, The Boy Scout Division at the national office must be contacted for procedures to follow if a board of review is to be conducted more than six months after a candidates 18th birthday.

LongHaul

First, going forward, the Eagle Leadership Service Project Notebook is available for download from the NESA website

http://www.nesa.org/trail/manual.html

BTW, I googled "Eagle Project Workbook and came up with 500+ hits, more than the first few of which contained the workbook for download.

Next, I agree with all nlds, Beavah, and LongHaul. The object is to have EVERYTHING (merit badges, time in rank, Scout Spirit, Leadership Service Project and Scoutmaster Conference) done before the 18th birthday.

The understanding my Council has is 0-60 days after the birthday, they will ask no questions on the EBOR date. 60-90 days, they take it to the Council Advancement Committee. 91 days and beyond their interpretation is our SE NOMINATES the candidate to National, and the local nomination is often accepted (not always). Again, beyond 180, it's totally a call in Irving, however their procedure works.

Whether your son gets an EBOR or is a "Life for life" is most assuredly in the hands of the folks in Texas.

I chaired an EBOR last night for a scout who met the 90 day deadline with 10 days to spare. All requirements were completed prior to his 18th birthday, but the EBOR had to be rescheduled twice due to circumstances beyond our control. The District Advancement chair told me that beyond 90 days a waiver from National would be required. Apparently the rules vary by Council.