SM Conference or BOR before time limit?

Greetings to those who know more than me. I have a question for this great group.

I have a 13 year old Star Scout in my troop who is trying to rush to make rank. He wants to have his Scoutmaster Conference, and BoR as soon as possible. Does he have to wait until his 6 month time is up before either of these? I (as troop advancement chair) said yes. That the SM conference and BoR are meant to be the checking points, and not done until all other requirements are met for that rank.

What do you think? Does he have to wait until his 6month time frame is up before either of these?

Thanks

Cheryl

Holaka,

A Scoutmaster's Conference can be done at any point, though it is normally done after all the other requirements have been met. The BOR, on the other hand, is the last step in the advancement cycle before recognition. The boy must have completed all of the requirements before he can be reviewed on them.

LongHaul

Part of a board of review is to determine whether all the rank requirements have been completed. On the day of the proposed BOR, will the boy have completed Life requirement #1 ?

Why does the boy want to rush it? Does the troop have some kind of set calendar schedule such the next BOR will be 6 or 8 months down the road, causing the boy to want to get it done now? Boards of review should be scheduled when they are needed.

Thanks for your replies.

We schedule BoR's for whenever they are requested. This young man is just in a hurry to "make Eagle". At his last BoR, a comment was made about seeing him next summer for his next BoR. The Scout said, no 6 months. We could not get him to understand, that 6 months is the minimun time limit between the 2 ranks. Since he is still on the young side, he has time.

Thanks again.

Cheryl

He may still be on the young side, but he is correct. If he completes all of his requirements for the rank of Life in 6 months time, including his 6 months as an active Scout in a POR, he should be able to earn that rank.

He can not have his BOR earlier than 6 months, but he also should certainly not be made to wait another 1 - 3 months, or longer, simply because "he is still on the young side, & he has time".

Does this Scout hold a POR? Has carried out the duties of the POR for 6 months? Are all of the other requirements completed? Does he show Scout Spirit?

If the answer to all these is "yes" & he has completed his SM conference, then his BOR should be scheduled.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

A blessed Christmas to all

A Scout may have a SM conference or BOR AT ANY TIME.

That said, one has to remember that the SM conference and BOR may or may not be advancement oriented. For rank advancement, the SM review should be after all other req's are completed (except for BOR) and traditionally (not required) most SM review the "shows Scout spirit" requirement at this time also. Part of the SM conference should include preparing the Scout for his BOR.

Now what I would do for a 13 year old Scout is to let him schedule a SM conference. One of the things that should go on during this conference is for the SM to review the advancement records of the Scout. During this time the SM could point out that the Scout may not have completed the "be active for xxx months since ..." req.

Live and learn.

We'll occasionally complete the BOR for a Scout who hasn't completed a POR timeframe if he's only a week or so short, so that he can be recognized at the upcoming COH. The understanding with something like this, of course, is that he continue his work to complete the required task. We've never, ever had a problem with someone "cheating" on this.