NFAA Basic Archery Instructor Class

I have signed up for a NFAA Basic Archery Instructor class. I am wondering what amount of experience one needs for this class. Basically, my experience amounts to "I did a little archery at summer camps as a kid and find it cool." The few materials I find doesn't imply what will be covered will be very advanced. All I'm looking for is training to allow me to assist at the range for Cub Scout activities (especially since I learned the guy who had been running the archery has let his certification slip) and perhaps a little knowledge as I contemplate doing some archery at home just for fun.

So, in a nutshell, anyone take this class and have any insight into what level of experience they are really looking for in students?

Yes. Not to worry a USA Archery/NFAA Level 1 is a basic introductory course - safety, terminology, FORM, and FUN. Many taking the course are teenage camp counselors with little or no experience.

That said, pay attention as there will be a quiz at the end of class to complete certification on information presented. Relax and have fun.

• 4 years later...

I know this is an older posting but just in case it comes around again.

Your Council should have BSA Range Officer training available at some point during the year. You might find they give you better vernacular to teach cubs about archery. USA Archery I is basic but it does tend to focus the training on kids going into JOAD. Kids with focus and maturity by nature or that are just a bit older (Webelos or Tenderfoot ages at least) that can handle more technical ideas and language.  Of course it never hurts to double up on the training and USA Archery/NFAA's SafeSport training is similar to BSA's online Youth Protection, just 3 times longer. National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP) can be a good resource for teaching ideas as well.

• Thanks 1

Teach'em the proper word for an "archery lover"  ::  TOXOPHILITE   all Cubs love a fancy word to use.   I always had that on the entrance to the Archery Range:   

"TOXOPHILITES ONLY BEYOND THIS POINT"  

Be Safe, learn the techniques, have fun, take pride in your skill. 

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, SSScout said:

Teach'em the proper word for an "archery lover"  ::  TOXOPHILITE   all Cubs love a fancy word to use.   I always had that on the entrance to the Archery Range:   

"TOXOPHILITES ONLY BEYOND THIS POINT" 

Our summer day camp for the cubs this year had a C.S.I. theme. All the Staff and Junior staff wore shirts stating, "___________ology, (noun) The study of..."

And we were all asked to fill in the blank with a sharpie. Many didn't pay attention and just wrote their names on the blank. I of course being in charge of the archery range had Toxology.

Which continued to be confused with Toxicology, but I still got to educate a few cubs and Scouters.

On 8/7/2013 at 4:10 PM, RememberSchiff said:

Yes. Not to worry a USA Archery/NFAA Level 1 is a basic introductory course - safety, terminology, FORM, and FUN. Many taking the course are teenage camp counselors with little or no experience.

That said, pay attention as there will be a quiz at the end of class to complete certification on information presented. Relax and have fun.

The quiz is actually much more difficult than I expected.  many in my class didn't pass.

What Longhaired_Mac  said.

Our council runs a one-day Cub Shooting Sports Range Safety Offcier class good for BBs, Archery, and Slingshoot. No test, not much shooting, and a boring but mandatory curriculum. Training codes for class are: CS31, CS:32. Course usually occurs in June before Cub Day Camp starts up.