Patrol Patches at Class B Trading Post

I accidentally found this page while looking for something else. Are these really officially licensed patrol patches? I thought scouts were limited to the type of patrol they chose. They have some really cool patrol names in here like the ninja patrol and the zombie patrol, and they have some silly ones like the duct tape patrol and the old goat patrol. Can scouts really choose these patrols?

Hmmmmm.... In recent memory we've had the Poison Dart Frog patrol, Avalanche patrol, Geko patrol, Pyros, THE patrol. I can actually only remember couple patrols with "official" names/patches. I was okay with the Hooter patrol (and an appropriate Owl patrol patch), but caught flack from several moms on the committee. The patrol decided discretion was the better part of valor and took the hit.

Who cares. Let the kids have fun with it. BSA will survive without that two bucks.

Your patrols can choose whatever name they want. The BSA police are not going to swoop down and can the program. The scouts are to have fun, and you are to empower them by letting them make decisions like this on their own. Your job is to make sure the choice is in good taste, and that they can get a flag made and patches acquired. The boys can always get blank patrol patches and draw their symbol on them, as well.

I hope you are letting the boys make choices in the other areas as well. Do they get to choose the camping trips they want. Within the bounds of the program, they choose where they go and what they do. The program prohibits hunting, but shooting on a riffle range with all safety policies in place is their choice. Hiking, swimming, boating, the scouts should get to choose their program elements, so they can "do what scouts do."

BSA allows patrols to create their own name, and therefor their own patrol medallion. BSA sells blanks which I've seen people draw the design in permanent ink and take to emboridery shops. Also national will do custom patrol medallions with a minimum order of 12.

Coolest patrol medallion I personally had in my hand was the White Tiger Patrol. Since they had a connection with the local zoo which had a white tiger, they went with that, Look really good.

• 1 month later...

There are rules about making your own patrol patches. Wadda suprise! I believe it is limited to 3 colors. You may notice on the Class B website it lists some as officially acceptable and some not. The only difference is the number of colors.

We have had Flaming Burritos, Rabid Chickens, and The Chairs just to name a few. SM is in advertising and gets his art department to design patches and then the troop pays to have the patches made.

The uniform police may cite patrol patches with more than 3 colors but I would guess than most scouts and scouters would never know that the patrol patch is technically not acceptable with lots of colors.

Back when I was in the scouts in the early 80's I wanted to creat the Dead Head Patrol with the greateful dead lightning skull as our patch... the scoutmaster put the Kaibosh on that. I am encouraging my son to form the Rock & Roll Patrol.

• 2 weeks later...