Neckerchiefs- - Over or Under?

Another thing... I've been away for a few years, but back in the day we ALWAYS wore our neckerchiefs on top of our collars (well actually with the collar turned under on long sleeve shirts - - the sumeer shirts were collarless).

I just went to a big event and everybody that wore neckerchiefs had them on UNDER their collars. What's the deal?(This message has been edited by mr.jimi)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back in the 1990s some Wood Badge Troops would remove the collars with seam rippers.        

When I first became a leader I was told that as a den we could decide if we wanted to wear our neckerchiefs over or under our collars. We chose under, the same all of the dens in our pack wear theirs. I have seen other units in the area wear theirs over the collar, it just seems that our pack prefers under.

In 1972, someone who didn't read James E. West's memo on how to wear the Scout neckerchief decided to give folks the option of wearing a necker under an open collar, over a tucked under collar AS IT IS SUPPOSE TO BE WORN (caps for my emphasis as I am a crumudeon ;) ), and Boy Scouts only have the option so NO Neckerchief.

My thoughts, and again I am an old crumudgeon, Over a tucked under collar.

"but back in the day we ALWAYS wore our neckerchiefs on top of our collars"

well, back in my day it was never a problem, as the youth shirts (we only wore short sleeve shirts around here) had no collars.

If you take a look at everything the BSA shows, the neckerchief is to be worn UNDER the collar.

EMB,

Yep you are correct in that all the BSA literature shows it the new way.

But the Boy Scout Uniform Inspection sheet states the following

The troop/team may vote to wear a neckerchief, bolo tie, or no neckwear. In any case, the collar should be unbuttoned. The troop/team has the choice

of wearing the neckerchief over the turned-under collar or under the open collar.

http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/34283.pdf

Doesn't mention under or over on the Cub Scout or leader forms, just triangle shaped, specific to age group, and secured with a slide.

Now don't make me cut off every shirt collar I and oldest son have, 'cause I'll do it. ;)

I'm very hot natured. I only wear a necker when I have to. The only time I have to is staffing Wood Badge or touring DC with a Jambo Troop. Wearing a double layer or fabric (collar) is hot enough without adding multiple rolls of fabric from a necker sandwiched between the collar. If I'm not doing either of those things, you will hardly if ever see me in a necker. When I do choose to wear one, it is my WB necker and I tuck the collar under the neck of my short and wear the necker around my neck. This is actually the most comfortable way for me personally to wear it, but not the way 99% of the folks in my council wear it. The shirts and the neckers just are not designed to be worn with the necker under the collar. In almost every case, the necker bunches up and "pooches" out. I'm constantly walking around tugging on our scouts neckers to make them look halfway presentable.

From the latest (12th) edition of the Scout Handbook, page 32:

"Whether your uniform includes a scout neckerchief is up to the troop. To wear a neckerchief, first roll the long edge to about 6 inches from the tip. Place the neckerchief smoothly around your neck, either over or under the collar, depending on your troop's custom. Hold the neckerchief in place with a neckerchief slide."

"In 1972, someone who didn't read James E. West's memo on how to wear the Scout neckerchief decided to give folks the option of wearing a necker under an open collar..."

A-ha, 1972! That explains it... remember what was "In" in 1972? Hint: Leisure suits, platform shoes, white belts!

Guess I'm just an old-school throw-back, but I'll just stick to wearing my necker over my turned-under collar. The under collar thing just doesn't look right to me.

Now if I can just find some knee-socks, garters and a garrison cap, I'll be all set! ;-)(This message has been edited by mr.jimi)

Alas, Knee socks and garters, aka Lovet hose, are gone, and twice now national has doen away with knee socks, only to bring them back. Inthe 1990s they did away with the kneesocks with red tops, only to bring them back about 2 years later, and the Centennial Uniform also did away with knee socks, only to bring them back this year sans red top. Don't need the garetrs anymore b/c they have elastic in them.

Now PM me is you want an old pair of kneesocks with the red tops; in-laws bought me a dozen when they were getting rid of them for Christmas.

Most fashion has its roots in utilitarian items such as the buttons on the sleeves of a mans suit coat or blazer.

In this case, perhaps one should consider why a neckerchief was worn in the first place and then its placement in relation to a collar would be evident.

I prefer the "old school" style , neckerchief over the collar, to protect the shirt from sweat and to help keep dust from going down the back of the neck