X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scout neckerchiefs

It is my understanding that the original scout neckerchiefs were square.

What were the dimensions of the square neckerchiefs?

When were the triangular neckerchiefs introduced?

Thank you

I can't answer the second question for you, but there's information on traditional neckerchiefs - including how to make them - at Kudu's Inquiry.net site. The article gives the dimensions as 32x32.

http://www.inquiry.net/uniforms/neckerchief/index.htm

Comment

yep 32x32 is the traditional size for the square necker. However I'ld recommend 36x36 for your adults and taller/larger scouts.

Comment

36"x36" also works better when used as a triangle bandage. The smaller size does not work well for a sling or a head bandage.

Comment

Thanks for the link. Making them is exactly the info I was looking for.

Mark

Comment

shortridge,
            Is 32 by 32 the traditional BSA dimensions? I thought I read somewhere that neckers from Europe, as well as other countries were larger, 40 by 40 maybe. This would definitely make them more useful.

Comment

Sounds like the European measurement is based on a meter...about 39"

Hal

Comment

ASM915,

I have no idea... just passing along info from another source. I came along in the '80s and have never even seen a square neckerchief in the flesh, so to speak.

Comment

Triangular bandages are commonly 37"x37"x52" or 40"x40"x56", so for a neckerchief to function as a triangular bandage, a larger size seems reasonable. As a scout in the 60's, my troop has a 32" square neckerchief which was adequate for bandaging scouts among other uses.

I found this link regarding Canadian neckers
                  http://scoutdocs.ca/Documents/Making_a_Necker.php
                  scroll to bottom and you will see their three "proper sizes" for neckers.

Comment

My hub. neckerchief from New Zealand is in the 36 area it is a triangle and works great for all of the Scout suggested uses. It is also of a more sturdy material. The small ones are quite frankly a waste of time and for looks only.

Comment

My officer corps boys wear a 36" square Meyers flag as a necker and it works great for any first aid issues as well.

Stosh

Comment

The dimensions of the full-square neckerchiefs varied. The older ones from the 1920's were smaller and not exactly square. In 1940's dimensions changed to 32x32 and a coarser fabric was used in their manufacture. By 1950 they were pretty much gone in favor of the triangular scarves.
                        I have tons of the old full-squares - of all colors. I have tried to preserve them from being lost. If anyone wants one - or a bunch - they are free for the asking.
                        Just send me a message.

Comment

Working...
                        X