That was the year that was

Thank you for the referral! Cambridge, could you give us some small details. I have referred this to other Scout friends, and they wish to know: What are the ages represented? Are these Cub Scout age? Scout age ? Any Rovers visible? Is the Girl Guides (Girl Scouts here) still popular, or is the (?how do you say it now that you are co-ed?) Boy Scouts taking over?

SSScout - the vast majority featured are UK scout section age range ie 10-14. There are no cubs featured. There is a glimpse here and there of explorer scouts (14-18 year olds) they are the ones with caramel coloured uniforms. We have a couple attached to the troop as part of the Young Leader scheme (14-17 year olds can serve as what effectively amounts to an apprentice leader).

We don't have Rovers as such. We have Network Scouts for 18-25 year olds. In theory this is a youth section. In practice it functions as more of a social club for younger leaders. 3 of my ASLs (equivalent of ASMs) are in this age group including the female leader in the cooking scenes and the male out of uniform with the catapult.

As for girls, what we find is that we get a certain "type" of girl joins scouts rather than girl guides. While I wouldn't go as far as tom boys they are definately that much more "robust" than those that go to guides. You don't see much pink or make up, they are generally more interest in fire and walking boots! Over all scouts is still male dominated at about 85%. My troop has an above average number of girls, currently about 40%. This is historical as we were coed by choice before it was complusory, hence we have the local reputation as the "girl friendly" troop. Girl Guides though is still going strong!