Okay, first let me start off by saying I am not a Girl Scout Leader but my wife is, or at least was until a few days ago.

Our Council sent us a letter stating that my wife was no longer a leader and that we were only welcome to drop off/pick up our daughter. We are at a loss and completely confused on what is going on, the Council states some concerns that were expressed to them (concerns they won't tell us about) and that my wife failed to follow Troop policies and procedures.

I am working on an appeal and getting some of the parents and leaders involved to hopefully write letters or call or something to get some support. My wife has received repeated praise for all the work she does with Troop and how much she goes above and beyond what is expected as a leader. I don't know exactly what happend but I do know that we expressed some concerns with the Troop Leader and his wife and it seems that we are being pushed out because of this (his name was signed at the bottom of the letter too).

I guess I am trying to find out is why a Council would simply tell some one they are no longer a leader and tell a family they can't attend meetings or campouts with their daughter but yet fail to give any real reasonings?

Is there anything we can do?

I realize that Girl Scouts is a volunteer organization but can they really just ask some one to leave and tell a girls parents they can't particpate without even letting them know what they did or giving them a chance to set things right?

At this point I just don't know what to do, any and all responses are welcome and perhaps some direction on where to proceed with these issues.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am already working on going up the chain of command. We received the certified letter Thursday and didn't get home to read it until that evening. I sent an email to the council rep who signed the letter and all the other membership staff members along with the big council rep. I requested to a sit down meeting with all parties involved included the professional scouter and for them to list specifically what policies and procedures my wife is being accused of not following. Since they were closed Friday and some of them are out on Monday for a recruiting thing I don't expect to hear anything until at least Tuesday.

I have a feeling the person sending the letter didn't have everyone in the boat and acted a bit prematurely no matter what was said so I want everyone to know so that I can be assured that we aren't getting railroaded. If I don't get some direct answers I will go higher up the chain of command until I am sure that some one listens and at minimum lets me know what is trully going on.

Every council has a volunteer agreement and policy and procedures statement. These should be on the website.

I'd be curious what concerns you shared that seemingly kicked this off. And, was this addressed to you and your wife or just her?

I find the title of this thread perhaps inaccurate. The story told sounds more like a "firing" rather than a chance to "resign".

I, too, would seek to be told the truth of the matter.

Be polite, be factual and unemotional in your pursuit of the who and why of this, but be persistant. Insist that the folks that have told you that you are personna non grata stand behind their decision and give you the reasons. They want you to just "accept things the way they are" and move on.

The reference letters from others that know you and your record are a good idea, but will likely not change the mind of the people in question. I would have them addressed to your Council President ( I think that is the GSUSA equivalent), and not just to the person that sent you the firing letter. Open their eyes to the situation. The reference letters will, however, do wonders for restoring your own confidence. And, the request for them will help tell your letter writers of your problem with (?) someone or with some policy or with THEIR (the firing letter authors) problem.

The more light shown on a problem, the better.

Let us know the result of your quest. You have my sympathy. I have been there and done that.

YiS

The problem with the volunteer agreement is that we have no idea what they are saying my wife did wrong. They are simply stating that she wasn't working within the Troop's policies and procedures nor with the Troop's leadership.

The letter is addressed to my wife directly and they mentioned that she was no longer a leader, however when they mentioned me by name as well when it came to us only being allowed to drop-off/pick-up my daughter. With the letter addressing me by name I am now a part of this but because this effects my wife and daughter I probably would have been a part of it either way.

Yes, I do believe "firing" would be a better term.

I will continue to reach out to the parents and leaders in our Troop to try and get some support. I will have them address letters to the the Chief Scout Executive of our council but I am going to attempt to make copies in case I need to send them higher. I want the council and Troop to know that people are behind us and that we are not simply going to accept this decision. Who knows perhaps it will even force some very necessary changes within the Troop if more people know what is going on and that people aren't going to simply except the status quo.

We had something like this happen in our Cub Scout pack, at least I think it was something like this, I'm really privy to all of the details, but the policies that the cub master violated included allowing cub scouts to ride on the open tailgate of her truck.

I would also encourage you to remain persistent. In spite of being treated badly, Girl Scouting is still a worth while program for you and your family.

I imagine it might also be worth the effort to talk about it with your daughter as little as possible. I think its a shame when children are drawn into dramas between their parents.

Good luck. Eager to hear how you finally work it all out.

Okay, I finally have some news from the Council!

The membership manager emailed me today (the boss of the 2 council people that signed the paper). Her response was that she spoke with the Scout Executive for the Council and that there wasn't really any major problems, that my wife did nothing wrong, and that no one was actually questioning her or our conduct or anything of the sort. She said that the problem was that my wife and myself questioned what the Troop leadership had decided on some items and we questioned the some of the Troop practices and procedures. She informed us that the Troop Leader was Leader 01 and that he had sole discretion on whom he wished to appoint or dismiss as leaders of his Troop. She said that he felt we challenged him and that he felt it best that we not be a part of the Troop.

Needless to say I was shocked that apparently Girl Scouts is a dictatorship, that Leader 01 can do whatever he/she wants and simply ask people who don't agree with them to leave. Considering this is a position that everyone votes on I find it hard to believe that this could possibly be true. Neverless the fact that all involved admitted it was easier and better for the Troop that instead of him working to ease our concerns or having us try to work together for us simply not to be a part of the Troop.

What kind of example is that? Are they really teaching the girls that you don't try to work things out, you simply ensure that your stature is greater than others so that you can bully them into agreeing with you or push them out if they don't.

I found out that my mom is really good friends with one of the Council's board members and she is pretty upset that this is the example of Girl Scouts that is being conveyed. She is working with us to some solid answers and find a resolution, but no matter what I am not stopping until something real is done to rectify the matter.

Oh, by the way, they did give us 3 options to pursue. A) live with things as they are and have limited interaction and priveledges (which I don't think they can do anyway), B) join a new Troop, or C) start a new Troop. I think we are contemplating option D, which is a twist between starting a new Troop and having the parents and leaders vote on whether they really want the this type of leader as an example to their girls, or whether they wish to pursue a new leader.

I am surprised that the head leader of your GS troop was a guy.. I had heard from others that men are ok, but had limitations put on them.

Other then that, I also am curious what you were questioning.. I also find it odd that the GS council gets involved in this.. In the BS, this is the time our council backs out and leaves it up to the CO or COR to figure out what to do.. In BS a volunteer could be terminated also, and we can have some dictatorships also.. You just hope the COR is involved enough to know the people & problems, and will have both sides of the story and the best interest of the unit before making a decision. But, it is not a guarentee.

Hard as it may be, it's probably time to let sleeping dogs lie, and put the girls needs ahead of the adults' egos.

start up a new troop if the council is open to the idea. Takeovers/coups don't end well for anyone, and may cause even more damage to the program.

If others want to support you and follow you to the new troop, welcome them with open arms.

If not, part ways as friends.

Scouting is a great experience when adult personalities don't get in the way...

Moose, since the GS Council owns the charter (there is no CO), I've seen where they are a lot more hands-on in stuff like this than what we see with BSA. I also found it odd that a man is running the unit. I was under the impression that men couldn't be leaders... maybe that's a recent change since we last looked into starting a troop?...(This message has been edited by eolesen)(This message has been edited by eolesen)

As has been said before, be truthful, not emotional, and let as many folks as possible know what is happening. I would also continue seeking to find out what, if anything, exactly was said and/or done that led to your expulsion.

As to starting a new Troop, that may be a solution. Join with the "survivors" of the original Troop and let the "Leader 01" do what he (?) will.

It may be time to "smile and wave" as you go by.

I too am surprised that the adults involved cannot "play nice". It is the kids that are hurt in the exchange, after all.

Your council's take on the "01", a designation I'd like to get rid of, is complete and utter bull-hockey in my experience. The Director of Management and Marketing (DMM) for the Service unit/area has sole discretion over who to recommend for appointment as leaders, co-leaders, assistant leaders, and other volunteer positions. The "01" is not voted upon, and even if the parents vote, the DMM can put the kibosh on that by not approving the applicant. The only people voting on anything in a GS troop should be the girls.

The "01" is simply the person who has agreed to be ultimately responsible for the troop's funds and forms. Your council is sticking with this person because he is a name on a roster for a troop, and they don't want to go looking for someone to take his place or have to dissolve the troop. Plus, in their experience, he's probably a dependable guy they have no issues with.

And yes, we have male leaders now in GS. However, the co/asst leader needs to be female and not related to the male leader. We have several men who lead their daughters' troops in our area. We recognize it as very positive, and the girls are absolutely thrilled when their dads can participate in Girl Scouts, too.

Personally, I'd look into moving to a different troop or starting another. Just smile and be polite in the future. There is no need to start voting and couping, because that rarely works out positively.

>>"She said that the problem was that my wife and myself questioned what the Troop leadership had decided on some items and we questioned the some of the Troop practices and procedures.">"She said that he felt we challenged him and that he felt it best that we not be a part of the Troop.">"She informed us that the Troop Leader was Leader 01 and that he had sole discretion on whom he wished to appoint or dismiss as leaders of his Troop.">"Needless to say I was shocked that apparently Girl Scouts is a dictatorship, that Leader 01 can do whatever he/she wants and simply ask people who don't agree with them to leave.">"Considering this is a position that everyone votes on I find it hard to believe that this could possibly be true.">"Oh, by the way, they did give us 3 options to pursue. A) live with things as they are and have limited interaction and priveledges (which I don't think they can do anyway), B) join a new Troop, or C) start a new Troop. I think we are contemplating option D, which is a twist between starting a new Troop and having the parents and leaders vote on whether they really want the this type of leader as an example to their girls, or whether they wish to pursue a new leader. "