How is your "Journey" going?

I am opening this thread as a place to share how your GS troop is working with the new Journeys material.

As a Daisy troop, we are working on our Daisy Petals. (One for each part of the Girl Scout law for you Boy Scouts.) We anticipate beginning our Daisy Garden in the next month. What's our service project going to be? Have no clue.

my GS troop is made up of 9th graders in Senior level of GS... they chose not to do the journey that was available this year for them - to them it seemed to much like some of the work they are doing for their gold award and didn't want to divert too much of their time for it.

as SUM our unit is very mixed - the new daisy's are doing it very well. Our 1st graders already moved up to brownie's but chose to wait to start journey's until next year. With the uncertainity whether the journey's will eventually be required to bronze, silver, gold I recommend that the troops below cadettes to definetly do the journey's and get use to them. Now were just waiting to see what national does when they go through all the other badge books in a couple of years

Since we opted to start with the age separation last year I am the Daisy troop leader now in our 2nd year. We started with petals and we are continuing them this year. The next Daisy leader can work on the Journey. I have the materials but decided to just stick with the petals. The journey seems like a whole lot of storytime and gardening. Maybe Brownies will be better.

Carol

We're probably going to skip reading the story in meetings and focus on learning about plants, the water cycle, "reading bouquets" from Victorian times, etc. We only meet twice a month, so hopefully we'll see some real differences in our garden. At the end, we are going to have an end of year tea party and make hats.

We're amongst the troops that elected to not "Journey" this year. The majority are last year Juniors and wanted to earn their Bronze Award before bridging to Cadettes. We will probably select a Journey next year, although I'll definitely need some training on how to best do that with a mixed Jun/Cad troop.

My daughter is in 7th grade and I am just getting used to the requirements. I believe they are working on the award (Bronze?) - I still confused about the Journey thing.

At our age group they do a lot of service projects. Also they do a lot of work with Brownies and younger girls.

I love that we are back in an active troop. A great leader (NOT me) and a great group of like minded girls really helps!

I'm a new Daisy leader (as you can probably tell from my user name, I've been a Boy Scout mom--although the Star in my name is almost an Eagle, and the Wolf is now Star).

We're kind of combining our Daisy journey and Daisy petals. Gardening in Michigan in the winter is kind of tough--just finding potting soil and seeds in stores is a challenge. So, we're going to wait until closer to spring to begin gardening.

Elizabeth

Neither our Junior troop nor our Cadette/Senior troop is using the Journeys this year.

Honestly, it's not like we have to LOOK for stuff to do! We're too busy working on troop and individual awards, service projects, activities, trips and troop governance, to pile on any more "stuff." For us -- and I recognize that every troop's mileage may vary -- Journeys would only be another talky-talky, homework-y, form-filling THING for the girls and adults to do. Not to mention more books to buy. Our time is limited, our funds are limited, and the girls would rather get outside and LIVE life, than assess and plan and talk and consult and journal and evaluate until the cows come home or our beloved organization comes up with yet MORE paperwork. No matter how meaningful or well-thought-out or beautifully based on the latest research.

So, instead of Journeys, we are canoeing, hiking, dancing, packing lunches for the homeless, camping, making kites, telling stories, and trying to get big packages of paper towel rolls into the tallest tree behind our meeting place and back down again.

I should say that, like a good scout, I did attend the Journeys training sessions. I flipped through the books there, and then read through them again, with more attention, at the scout store. Though turned off by the incredibly trendy candy coating, I found that the chewy inside did contain some good chunks. And, yeah, I know Journeys will get squeezed into the Bronze/Silver/Gold Awards soon, just like they did with Studio 2B, but there's no need to jump on the bandwagon now, to beat the holiday rush.

Rant over. Dear me.

I can see where Journeys could be great for new troops, younger levels, older Juliettes, or maybe just if the activities grabbed you and you didn't have other fish to fry. If I were a new Daisy leader, I think I might cheer at finally having a curriculum! I've always marvelled at the suggestions for four meetings, followed by . . . silence. So different from, say, Tigers! But that's the blessing and curse of the open-ended thing.

I took my cub scouts to an assisted living center and they sang for the residents, this was a great service project. The kids loved it as many of my cub scouts have sisters that are in the girl scouts they were in attendace also. The residents loved it also.

Ok I need help. I have 2 sons who are Eagle Scouts, husband Queen Scout -- but hurray! I have a niece who is a Girl Scout (Junior). Where do we start to help and encourage the lone girl in our family -- most will be done by mail due to distance. The programs are sooo different. Is there a site which lays everything out in order. Even the uniform is confusing.

2eagles

the hardest part to get use to with GS over BSA is that there is no set "do a, b, c, d..." like they have in cub scouts or even boy scouts.

to help her along her way: get the junior badge book and junior handbook. The badge book is much like merit badge book, but difference is she doesn't have to do all listed she just needs to complete 6 of the items listed to earn the badge. In the handbook you'll find stories, games, etc to help with some of those badges. Also in the handbook you will find info. about other awards she can earn - the 4 signs, the program aid, and the bronze star.

Girl Scouts form of Eagle is the Gold Star which is the highest award a Girl Scout can earn - this they can earn as Seniors and Senior Ambassadors. The Bronze is highest a junior can earn, and the Silver is highest a Cadette can earn.

A girl scout can be in a troop with girls just in her grade, just in her level, or with mixed levels... also a girl can be a "LONE SCOUT" (BSA term) which girl scouts call "Juliette"

This year the GSUSA also started a new program that this thread is talking about - it's called "Journeys" each level has a seperate book which a girl or a troop does the work required and they earn a seperate "Journey" patch(es) the journey activities can also tie into other badges she is working on.

The have summer camp, but it is NOT done as a troop like BSA does... they have different types of camps that the girls can pick from and attend on their own or with buddies... the camp is run by staffers and councilors, but unless they are going on a special troop camp their leaders will not be there.

I think that about sums it up - hope so because I gotta drive my son to scouts now LOL

2eagles stated - "Where do we start to help and encourage the lone girl in our family -- most will be done by mail due to distance."

Since you will not be "hands on" with your niece, the best way to encourage her is to ask her about her experiences, and get her talking about what she is doing with her Troop, and what she is planning for the future.

Ask her about the Girl Scout Bronze Award. If she is/will be working on it, what she is doing for it, etc.

Let her know that you are available for long distance interviews if she needs it for any of her GS projects.

Encourage her to work on Religious Emblems. Ask about Girl Scout Sunday (yes, GSUSA has their version in March).

Ask for pictures of her in her uniform.

Support her, and her Troop's, money earning endeavors.