Families dropping out

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not a reason, its an excuse. A handy one, but a well-run, open program can succeed despite what some lawyer in Texas spouts about "teh Gazes". Either something else isn't up to "fun standards", or you're just seeing natural drift-in/drift-out.

Interesting that Trailwalker has only posted in topics related to gays in the bsa.

I am going to say he or she is trolling...

8% of the boys who haven't returned so does that mean....1 of the 8 boys who quit???

Familys quit for a variety of reasons....

Some just need an excuse...

Not one family has mentioned this at all to me even though our newspaper (Baltimore Sun) just ran an article on the front page Sunday edition on an Eagle turning in his medal. I've been recruiting boys into the program for over 10 years and I've never had a parent say to me that they would join except for BSA's policy on gays. Nor have I ever had on quit over this issue either. It's not an issue for me and it's not an issue for them.

>>Membership standards they knew about when they joined are not one of them.

I'll disagree. Not everyone knows exactly what the membership standard are as it's seldom talked about. The Ohio case and the resulting BSA press release got a lot of media attention (probably because the media wanted it to get attention). But in the preceding years it hadn't gotten much air time as the Dale case was long past.

Down in NC back in 2002, we had a family leave after a Blue and Gold Dinner FOS presentation when it was mentioned that the Triangle United Way was no longer supporting the council except through directed donations. They inquired as to why and left after being told.

Like BDweller asked:

Trailwalker: Is that 8% of your whole unit (Cub Pack? BSTroop?) is quitting because of homosexual policy or religious policy or 8% of those quitting do so because of etc. etc.?

I have only been told (by one family) that they dropped from Scouting after they read the fine print on the back of the application about religious belief.

I have known others that never joined because of the "Religious Faith Declaration", and the homosexual policy they read about in the papers. Oh well.

>>">>Membership standards they knew about when they joined are not one of them. .... I'll disagree.

Down in NC back in 2002, we had a family leave after a Blue and Gold Dinner FOS presentation when it was mentioned that the Triangle United Way was no longer supporting the council except through directed donations."

I see no reason to ridicule the OP. A serious question was asked based on his or her personal experience. Answer it or don't.

Around here, I do not know any individuals who say they've been motivated to join or to drop out THIS YEAR based on this issue [i do know families on both sides who have said this in the past, though, and I have no reason to believe they were just making it up.]

However, most of my contact lately has been with older youth and their families, not cub families. I think this issue might be more consequential for cub packs (in either direction) because that's the stage where people are just getting to know the BSA, habits and affiliations are being established, and also where parents have the most say in what organizations their kids will be part of.

We've had 5 scouts drop out of our Pack due to:

1) 2 moved out-of-state

2) 1 transferred to an LDS Pack after his Tiger advancement

3) 1 due to daily sports activities

4) 1 due to single mom taking courses for her Masters degree

At our Parent Orientation, I gave the parents a brief run down on BSA's position on religion. We are not chartered to a church, but to a civic organization, which may be a pro or con for some parents. From what I've heard from our families, they want family fun and character development for their boys. Everything else is a distraction from the program.