2013 Boy Scout Requirement Changes

Thanks. I'll share it with our boys this weekend. If they say anything relevant, I'll bring it up here next week.

Just one question about data flow: Why isn't this sort of thing on scouting.org first?

I am pleased to see that in the Second Class fire-building requirement, it is once again required to actually light the fire (with an exception, "unless prohibited by local fire restrictions.) And, after the fire has been started, they have added this: "After allowing the flames to burn safely for at least two minutes, safely extinguish the flames with minimal impact to the fire site."

I still would rather see changes to the requirements made less often, and only when it's really necessary, unless a new handbook is coming out. But if they have to make annual changes, this one seems pretty good, and I suppose it could be argued that it is "really necessary." The Scouts should definitely be able to build a fire in such a way that it's not going to go out immediately (the new "two-minute rule"), to light the fire, to safely put it out, and to leave as little impact as possible.

> Just one question about data flow: Why isn't this sort of thing on scouting.org first?

The definative source is not scouting.org it is the 2013 Boy Scout Requirements Book and that is in the Scout Shops this week.

When I saw Scoutmaster replaced with Unit Leader and troop replaced with unit I figured that BSA was realizing that Venturing Crews have an Advisor, and Varsity Scout Teams have a Coach and Sea Scout Ships have Skippers.

Rather than inject all those phrases, I can see where they would say Unit Leader and Unit

> I wonder where the definition of unit leader is located.

Because Varsity Teams use Boy Scout requirements for ranks to 1st class and both Varsity and Venturing use the requirements beyond 1st class.

All common Scouting terms are in the "Language of Scouting."

It use to be a hard copy book, now it is available on the Internet:

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/LOS/All.aspx

It has been around for decades as a hard copy book. I remember getting a copy when I first started as an adult leader.

definition:

unit leader: The adult leader of a unit is a Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Coach, Advisor, or Skipper.

(This message has been edited by bnelon44)

• 1 month later...

Game Design Merit Badge

"DALLAS, March 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Games are an important element in every culture around the globe. Simple games give structure to children's playtime and help enforce basic social skills like courtesy, sharing, and taking turns, and more intricate games can help children hone their logic, strategy, and even mathematics skills. Through Game Design, its newest merit badge, the Boy Scouts of America is opening the door for Scouts to put their creativity to the test. BSA representatives will introduce the new title at the SXSW Gaming Expo in Austin, Texasâ€â€a three-day event that provides gamers and game designers alike an opportunity to interact and learn from one another."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/boy-scouts-of-america-introduces-game-design-merit-badge-195845361.html

Still cannot create a new topic. :(

Game Design Merit Badge

"DALLAS, March 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Games are an important element in every culture around the globe. Simple games give structure to children's playtime and help enforce basic social skills like courtesy, sharing, and taking turns, and more intricate games can help children hone their logic, strategy, and even mathematics skills. Through Game Design, its newest merit badge, the Boy Scouts of America is opening the door for Scouts to put their creativity to the test. BSA representatives will introduce the new title at the SXSW Gaming Expo in Austin, Texasâ€â€a three-day event that provides gamers and game designers alike an opportunity to interact and learn from one another."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/boy-scouts-of-america-introduces-game-design-merit-badge-195845361.html

Still cannot create a new topic. :(

This is way cool. We have a game designer in our Troop who works for one of the major publishers. I have been dying to get him involved in MBs. Just found my hook. Thanks!!!

Requirements here: http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2013/03/06/game-design/