Elsewhere there is a thread touching on whether "camping" in a hotel can count toward rank requirements or the Camping MB. All right-thinking people scoff at such an idea. But here's a corollary question--what about open-sided trail shelters such as those along the Appalachian Trail? Does the presence of a roof mean it's not "under the sky," even if it's still largely exposed to the elements? I hate to say this isn't camping, but it isn't sleeping on the open ground either.

To add yet another wrinkle, the Backpacking MB calls for treks that use 2 or 3 "campsites." Is an AT trail shelter a "campsite?" (On this I'd say yes, for Camping, I'm not so sure.)

I'm aware these decisions are for the MB counselor to make--these questions are for those of us who either want to make good decisions as counselors, or to help counselors who want advice, or to help guide boys in avoiding potential problems (i.e., if you're not going to count nights in shelters toward either merit badge, you should tell boys that before they go on an AT trek).

I'd cut a little slack for the trail shelters. But I do understand the concern. I think this is one reason why only one week of summer camp counts toward camping MB. BTW, my experience on the AT is that on weekends many shelters are jammed like refugee camps. We stay clear of them and take alternate open sites.

Trail shelters are not cabins just gloified lean-tos...more to the point they are colder in the winter, buggier in the summer and often time expose 'campers' to rodent droppings which dry and are ground up by foot traffic and become airborne pathogenic transport vectors...sounds yummie right? Pitch a tent out of sight of the shelters...its more comfortable and healthier and more enjoyable. Leave the shelters for the less prepared (less intelligent) folks caught out in the weather with out a tent and without any sense...

BTW...In talking to several folks who do 'AT care-taking' duties, most of them feel the shelters should only be used for extreme weather situations (high-wind storms which may cause blow downs and endanger tent campers...) At other times they actively encourage tent use off the beaten track...

In your neck of the Republic, think livestock 'run-in'...except they have woodplank floors...three side walls, open front, slant roof...and 'cause you are 'off the ground' you sleeping 'elevated' in the winter...cold air above-cold air below! no bad when a real storm blows in but not the best place in the woods to kick back and sip coffee!